Salvadors Interview

boba

Hi. Today on my radio show I interviewed Flint Lloyd, member of the St. Louis soul group the Salvadors. Flint came from a musical family -- his aunts sang in different gospel groups and one of his uncles sang modern harmony with Rex Middleton and the Hi Fis. Flint began singing with his family in church and singing modern harmony at an early age.

In the late 50s Flint joined the group the Salvadors, singing with his brother Donald; the group mainly sang modern harmony. The group was soon discovered by St. Louis DJ E Rodney Jones (who also was a DJ in Chicago). Jones became the group's manager and took the group to Chicago to record for Chuck Colbert's Nike label. The group's single "A-E-I-O-U" / "Daddy Said" got some play on Chicago and St. Louis radio. The group stayed together for a few years and soon broke up.

Around the same time, Lloyd was also a member of another St. Louis group called the Alpines. The group sang backup on a St Louis record by White singer Little Mojo called "Paula" (Mojo was backed by the local St. Louis band the Caravans, who were credited on the record). The Alpines broke up in the early 60s. The Salvadors also reformed and broke up (with the same lineup) several times.

In the late 60s, the Salvadors reformed with the same lineup as the earlier record. E Rodney Jones took them to Chicago to record again. The group recorded "Stick by me baby" / "I wanna dance" for the Wise World label in Chicago; Flint's brother Donald sang lead on both tracks. "Stick by me baby" was written by Jo Armstead. The record did not get any play in Chicago but did get some play in St. Louis. The group broke up for a final time a couple years after "Stick by me baby" was released. Different group members continued to sing in other local groups but none that recorded. However, in the 70s, "Stick by me baby" became a big "Northern Soul" record in England, played by the DJs as a dance record, and is now highly collectible. Two members of the Salvadors are still around today.

You can check out my interview with Flint at the bottom of my interviews page at:https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html . Thanks for your interest.

thanks,
Bob

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi. Today on my radio show I interviewed Flint Lloyd, member of the St. Louis soul group the Salvadors. Flint came from a musical family -- his aunts sang in different gospel groups and one of his uncles sang modern harmony with Rex Middleton and the Hi Fis. Flint began singing with his family in church and singing modern harmony at an early age.

In the late 50s Flint joined the group the Salvadors, singing with his brother Donald; the group mainly sang modern harmony. The group was soon discovered by St. Louis DJ E Rodney Jones (who also was a DJ in Chicago). Jones became the group's manager and took the group to Chicago to record for Chuck Colbert's Nike label. The group's single "A-E-I-O-U" / "Daddy Said" got some play on Chicago and St. Louis radio. The group stayed together for a few years and soon broke up.

Around the same time, Lloyd was also a member of another St. Louis group called the Alpines. The group sang backup on a St Louis record by White singer Little Mojo called "Paula" (Mojo was backed by the local St. Louis band the Caravans, who were credited on the record). The Alpines broke up in the early 60s. The Salvadors also reformed and broke up (with the same lineup) several times.

In the late 60s, the Salvadors reformed with the same lineup as the earlier record. E Rodney Jones took them to Chicago to record again. The group recorded "Stick by me baby" / "I wanna dance" for the Wise World label in Chicago; Flint's brother Donald sang lead on both tracks. "Stick by me baby" was written by Jo Armstead. The record did not get any play in Chicago but did get some play in St. Louis. The group broke up for a final time a couple years after "Stick by me baby" was released. Different group members continued to sing in other local groups but none that recorded. However, in the 70s, "Stick by me baby" became a big "Northern Soul" record in England, played by the DJs as a dance record, and is now highly collectible. Two members of the Salvadors are still around today.

You can check out my interview with Flint at the bottom of my interviews page at:https://www.sittingin...interviews.html . Thanks for your interest.

thanks,

Bob

Absolutely Brilliant!! Once again Bob, well done, I really appreciated that.

Andy

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

You can check out my interview with Flint at the bottom of my interviews page at:https://www.sittingin...interviews.html . Thanks for your interest.

thanks,

Bob

Brilliant Bob, your commitment,, and passion, are an example for us all-well done

DJ

Social source share

thanks,

Bob

awesome great work bob..............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert