Am I Normal?

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

We have had some good threads on misheard lyrics on here. on slightly different note but in the same theme, I dont know if there are many people on here like me, but often at a nighter I can hear loads of songs, maybe I'll sing along in a chair, often I will dance and try not to sing, but often sing along anyway. Then someone will come up and say, 'what was that', and very often I havent got a Scooby Doo. Yet I can sing virtually all the words, know the openeing bars etc etc.

Does this happen to anyone else? And when you find out who it is, or what it is called, are you often as shocked as me? I nearly fell off my chair when I found out -Thats no way to treat a girl - was sung by a blinkin woman smile.gif

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Very normal I'm afraid, Mikey :thumbsup: I still don't know whether September Jones is a woman or not ! And Arnold Blair - I always thought that was a woman until I saw a photo last year ... smile.gif

Maybe someone can put us out of or misery with the more ambiguous sounding songsters... please ?

My favourite comment was by someone at Cleggy last year as Dean Parrish walked on stage ... "Look ! He's white !"

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Chalky and Janine did a couple of CDs for my birthday last year. There is one track on one of the Cds I was conviced was a woman, and then started working out the lyrics and thought this has to be by a guy. It was, 'Little' somebody. Will grab the Cds tonight and post the track tomorrow.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Very normal I'm afraid, Mikey  :P     I still don't know whether September Jones is a woman or not !  And Arnold Blair - I always thought that was a woman until I saw a photo last year ...  smile.gif

link

I'll agree that Mikey probably isn't very normal :thumbsup: although i will admit to doing exactly the same as him in the sing-a-long department i'm forever asking Ali what the bloody hell is this, only to be told "You plank that was you're favourite record" or something simliar wink.gifwink.gif

Having said that Kolla i would have thought that the name Arnold was a bit of a clue and Mikey Marie Knight sounding like a blerk are you partially deaf as well ???

JoT

Social source share

Having said that Kolla i would have thought that the name Arnold was a bit of a clue

JoT

link

Some mum's call their kid's stupid things! (Take mine for example!). I'd bet my 10 gallon hat that anyone listening to "Trying to get next to you" without knowing the NAME of the artist thought it was a lady. The strapline at the bottom of the poster just confused me all the more smile.gif

post-9-1071148690.jpg

Social source share

Do you not think he looks a little like Crrrraaaaiig David albeit without his pet falcon Kes  :thumbsup:

link

Hee Hee - Wonder if Crrrraaaaiig David from Leeds will be at Soulsville this month smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Oh sheeeiiit Westwood you ain't gonna be dropping your heavy hip hop vibes on us holmies are y'all :thumbsup:

I shall be singing in berkley square if i can find it smile.gif

Trout Out

Social source share

unfortunately I can go one better than Mikey, a few times I get lost in records at dos and niters, quite happily in my own little word then asking somebody what it was ,only to realise I've got it,true it happens not all the time but enough to make me worry,sad really,wonder what makes that happen ????

smile.gif

Social source share

This thread has reassured me that I am not abnormal or losing it. I often hear (and dance) to tracks that I can sing along to, and dance to, without being able to give title or artiste. Andy Faulkner and John Stubbs must be cheesed off with me asking them what this track is. Good to know I am not alone.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Got this email from Nick Brown:

I expect the record you're puzzled about is Little Nathalie "Teardrops Are

Falling" on Roulette

"It IS a bloke, but the bloke is Young Henry Ford. The record label actually

credits the release to 'Little Nathalie And Henry With The Gifts'. Normally

this is truncated to 'Little Nathalie' on tape listings for reasons of

space. Henry also had another release on Roulette, just credited to 'Young

Henry Ford And The Gifts.

Brilliant record, by the way."

So there you go. Nick is right. And it wasnt on Chalky and Janine's CDs it must be on a tape I have or something. Cheers Nick.

Hippo is right too. Loads of 'Little' guys and their mates with pre pubescent voices.

And to be called abnormal by JOT is indeed a compliment :thumbsup:

Social source share

Johnnie Mae Mathews often sounds like a man and has been confused for one more than once. Millie Jackson occasionally also sounds very manly. Ever notice how very similar Darrow Fletcher and Ty Karim often sound? So similar that a track by either of them could be covered up as the other and it would be a very plausible cover name! Ronnie Walker sounds like a woman on some tunes, and if you know how large he is, it is even more surprising. Arnold Blair is without doubt a lady, but with an unusual name and an unusual amount of facial hair :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I went to school with a guy who's brother is called Tracy, (parents too thick to call him Spencer after mum's fave actor!!) and isnt the lady who played the mum in the Waltons called Michael Learned?? Oh my oh my, I have a girl's name :thumbsup:

Still have no idea whether Craig David is a girl or not, nor kolla's mate Arnold.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Surely not. Looking at the photo,it doesn't look like a lady. Can someone offer conclusive proof?

link

It was a joke. If it is a lady it is a gay song, since "she" sings about a woman. A friend of mine once tried to find hidden gay messages in soul records, and whether they were there or he just misheard some things, well, I dunno... :thumbsup: "She's my lady and she's all mine", or did he really sing, listen closely now, "she's my lady and she's a man"? :thumbsup:

Social source share

slightly off on a wild tangent but keeping with the doddgy lyrics theme...my fave is good old Jackie Wilson and one of my all time faves 'I've Lost You' where in the fade out he sings that most beloved of all romantic lines..."I'm gonna kiss you in the morning where the sun don't shine.." Jackie, you old romantic!!!!

Social source share

(...) in the fade out he sings that most beloved of all romantic lines..."I'm gonna kiss you in the morning where the sun don't shine.." Jackie, you old romantic!!!!

:thumbsup: ...you're not the only one who misheard those lyrics... Very romantic indeed... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hee Hee - Wonder if Crrrraaaaiig David from Leeds will be at Soulsville this month  :thumbsup:

link

Craig David is from Morley, just outside Leeds at the Wakefield end.

Avid Merrion gets his name from the 'Merrion' shopping centre in Leeds, not sure about Avid, maybe just dropped the'D'??

He can come with pleasure, cos it is gonna be a Proper Bo' night a tell thee.

Social source share

I recently played a tune at the friendship (biG oldie) and at the end had to pause, stop the deck and read the f******g label.

My memry had gone a tota........................... as I was saying the bus came four hours late and I missed me tea , me mam was mad with me as Id forgot to do me homework........... f**k me the memories keeps flashing back to me childhood,

Is it old age or something Ive eaten

Geeeeoooooordie :thumbsup:

Social source share

slightly off on a wild tangent but keeping with the doddgy lyrics theme...my fave is good old Jackie Wilson and one of my all time faves 'I've Lost You' where in the fade out he sings that most beloved of all romantic lines..."I'm gonna kiss you in the morning where the sun don't shine.." Jackie, you old romantic!!!!

link

There's always the old Johnny Jones and the King Casuals version of Purple Haze during which, if I'm not mistaken, Mr Jones asks us to 'excuse me while I kiss this guy.' Sounds like a poof to me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!