Chapter 5-Alternative Take?

Guest CARL D

Guest CARL D

Hi. Just listened to a clip of John St John-You Can't Mean It on ebay,and it seems to be a different take i've not heard before. Could someone confirm please. Ta, Carl.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi Carl

I used to have an acetate (proper company release) but with virtually no details on it. It was however a different take on chapter 5, slightly longer by about 12 seconds when I compared them side by side. It was uncredited though so I never got to know who it was by. Don't know who it went to but pat Brady springs to mind. This was back in the mid 90's mind.

Best

Steve

Social source share

Guest CARL D

Thanks guys. Hi Pete-It didn't sound as powerful to me as the version i've previously heard,and more polished production-wise. Prob' just a clear quality clip(or my dodgy hearing). Cheers, Carl

It's the same recording Carl.

Social source share

Thanks guys. Hi Pete-It didn't sound as powerful to me as the version i've previously heard,and more polished production-wise. Prob' just a clear quality clip(or my dodgy hearing). Cheers, Carl

Well the Italian one I had - I don't think anyone could have told the difference to be honest

Social source share

Is the Chapter Five release on 'Goldmine Sevens' 'You Can't Mean It / One In A Million' worth anything nowadays? I guess it's regarded as a 2nd/re-issue UK press? 

No not really, it's a very flat recording as well that one, they equalised all the power out of it and it sounds like it's come off an MP3

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL    I have a goldmine blank, played it twice, it just don't sound right, I have a DEMO of "one in a million" CBS, YOU CAN HEAR THE DIFFERANCE!

"YOU CAN'T MEAN IT" is a 45 that I have never had in all my years of collecting, I remember Pete having a rough looking copy a couple of years ago, I should of got that copy, sometimes you have to just go for it, as without it, it's a big hole in my collection? :rofl: DAVE K

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL    I have a goldmine blank, played it twice, it just don't sound right, I have a DEMO of "one in a million" CBS, YOU CAN HEAR THE DIFFERANCE!

"YOU CAN'T MEAN IT" is a 45 that I have never had in all my years of collecting, I remember Pete having a rough looking copy a couple of years ago, I should of got that copy, sometimes you have to just go for it, as without it, it's a big hole in my collection? :rofl: DAVE K

Dave, this might interest you, Dave 'David' Flynn of Japan has an acetate of One In A Million, with the Chapter 5 backing track, but performed by Kenny Bernard!  I heard him play it once.  They shared a manager back in the 60's.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave, this might interest you, Dave 'David' Flynn of Japan has an acetate of One In A Million, with the Chapter 5 backing track, but performed by Kenny Bernard!  I heard him play it once.  They shared a manager back in the 60's.

:hatsoff2: HI PETE    WOW What a find, would like to hear it, Kenny Bernard "pity my feet" was a Mick Smith discovery (one of many) took it to the MECCA for the first initial play, it become a TONY JEBB play, sounds great today, I have all of Kennys UK 45s, all collectable and rare, his Parlaphone 45 is a must for MOD sound fans,

also I have just got UA 1111 for the 1st time last week, check out my last record in the record club, I don't no any one who has it, must be a new sound on the scene,

DAVE K

Social source share

Dave, this might interest you, Dave 'David' Flynn of Japan has an acetate of One In A Million, with the Chapter 5 backing track, but performed by Kenny Bernard! I heard him play it once. They shared a manager back in the 60's.

Pete 'Peter' Smith is indeed correct on all counts :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!