Guides Again

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

My brother has just got back from New York, where he picked up a few discs in a market. When he asked the guy how much he wanted for them. Out pops JMs 2nd edition.

The guy fortunately was willing to barter so Mark managed to get reasonable deals.

Food for thought though. If a market trader has these guides and prices virtually to the cent, what about dealers??

I also posted this on another chat room, before I get any grief :D

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Why would you get any grief???? And this isn't a chat room is it, please tell me no!! This is a musical forum surely where we discuss and debate, chat room just sounds sooo chav :D

Trouty

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well I was thinking of heading down to T K Maxx for a nice 2nd issue Rupert The Bear Scarf, and some Henry Lloyd trainers.

Actually I really like a lot of the Henry Lloyd stuff :D

Social source share

TK Maxx have got some really nice Schott jackets, black zip up hoodies with white furry lining bit like a sheepskin...I bought one, brilliant for dog walking etc. this winter...retail about £125, their price £50. Sometimes you can find a bit of CP Company stuff as well but you have to look very hard for it.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just a couple of mates who were pulling my leg when i did this before.

They accused me of being boring :o and going on and on and on....can you believe that?? :o

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

it could have been worse mikey,he could have pulled out john manships 3rd edition

link

It was probably somewhere over the Atlantic as they were haggling. :D

Social source share

I have to say Pete, Stone Island went down hill around 1996.

Long live OTS and DUFFER

link

You can't say that, it might be common now but it's still nicely made if you get the real stuff, the little attention to detail and that. Duffer must be heavily counterfeited as I see loads round here and most of them are too common to wear it. One True Saxon do me a favour, would you wear something with that tacky logo on

80_1_b.JPG

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Remember the days when you could spot a guy at a nighter, and guess what team he supported by the labels he was wearing.

Lots of guys used to nab me straight away for being a Bristol City fan. I thought it was de rigeur for all soulies to wear white smock, wellies and a hat with bells on. Especially in my fave label 'Sale'.

Social source share

Remember the days when you could spot a guy at a nighter, and guess what team he supported by the labels he was wearing.

Lots of guys used to nab me straight away for being a Bristol City fan. I thought it was de rigeur for all soulies to wear white smock, wellies and a hat with bells on. Especially in my fave label 'Sale'.

link

:P:D:D

Social source share

Seems to be par for the course that John Manships Guide to Rare Soul (whatever edition) is going to be with us all forever, i still believe though that a vinyl records price is simply what i am willing to pay for it and what the dealer is willing to sell it for. Don't want to go into details but just recently via the WWW i managed to get a copy of a 7" that had been on my wants list , and with a bit of old fashioned bartering i paid £80 for a track that (demo) Manships guide would suggest around £200/250, so there is still a glimmer of hope.

Social source share

Seems to be par for the course that John Manships Guide to Rare Soul (whatever edition) is going to be with us all forever, i still believe though that a vinyl records price is simply what i am willing to pay for it and what the dealer is willing to sell it for. Don't want to go into details but just recently via the WWW i managed to get a copy of a 7" that had been on my wants list , and with a bit of old fashioned bartering i paid £80 for a track that (demo) Manships guide would suggest around £200/250, so there is still a glimmer of hope.

link

I know of which track you speak, without revealing too much Brett. :D

Another just went on ebay for $86 earlier in the week, would have bid myself, but so skint and have already asked 2 dealers to put stuff away for me until the end of the month!! :P

Just to agree with you though, all those who say there aren't any deals out there just ain't looking hard enough. And speak to people, you don't ask - you don't get!!

Jamie :D

Social source share

I live about 30 mins outside of Toronto and it amazes me that nobody here seems to have any clue about the price of 45's and I would say they have never heard of the Manship catalogues.

However I have noticed that a couple of sellers are now charging $5 instead of the $2 -$3 they were charging me a couple of years ago but I just put that down to the fact that I buy a lot of 45's and they feel they can "overcharge" me.

There is one guy who is a bit savvy but he still only charged me $100C for a Jan Jones - less than 50 quid. Is this a bargain?

The down side of this is that when I talk to dealers and sellers at record fairs about soul 45's they all come out with the classic line - I sold them all to Martin Koppell.

So I suppose I am saying that the bargains are still out there - keep looking.

Social source share

Newer, i was in Toronto a few years back and did a bit of buying up Queen Street West (think that was the street) went to Kops collectables, certain if you look on the stairs next time your in, i wrote Sheffield United plus Brett on the wall amongst all the other Grafitti.

By the way fantastic city Toronto , only downside was whilst in a restaurant looking through a local club guide, i stumbled on a Northern night in the Danforth area, me and my girl got the underground tube and finally found the small place, but alas it was shut!

Social source share

I live about 30 mins outside of Toronto and it amazes me that nobody here seems to have any clue about the price of 45's and I would say they have never heard of the Manship catalogues.

However I have noticed that a couple of sellers are now charging $5 instead of the $2 -$3 they were charging me a couple of years ago but I just put that down to the fact that I buy a lot of 45's and they feel they can "overcharge" me.

There is one guy who is a bit savvy but he still only charged me $100C for a Jan Jones - less than 50 quid. Is this a bargain?

The down side of this is that when I talk to dealers and sellers at record fairs about soul 45's they all come out with the classic line - I sold them all to Martin Koppell.

So I suppose I am saying that the bargains are still out there - keep looking.

link

You must be doing quite well out of ebay then?

And fair play to you, at least you are getting out there and finding stuff.

You've done just fine on the Jan Jones. If you find one Reddy/Brown & Green instead of Green & White drop me a line & I'll give you $150C for it :D

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Some American sellers still use The Goldmine and Osbourne price guides.I have a Goldmine price guide in front of me now and some of the rare soul is priced extremely low so if they are pricing by these guides you have a good chance of getting a good buy , but it appears more are using Manships now.

As for buying off Ebay I find if you are very lucky you can get some great stuff at the right price from ebays sellers stores using buy it now , its hard work but if you look hard enough there are still good buys there.

Social source share

Brett

The Northern do's were done by Kev Cox, Alun Bell, Mick and another guy. I cant remember his name but I did bump into him at the Funk Bros show in Toronto earlier this year.

They died a bit of a death a couple of years ago and Kev tried to get them going with a couple of young mods but like the one you went to they kept moving venues etc.

Unfortunately at the last one we went to the DJ was spinning a Supremes tune and my missus went and asked him to play some northern and he said he was.

My missus is not known for her tolerance, she likes her oldies and she said she didnt drive up to town, pay a fortune to park to listen to the F#@cking Supremes, and funnily enough that was the last one we went to!!!

Kops Collectibles is OK, he used to have all the Northern in a seperate section but now it is lumped in with a the other soul stuff and covers the whole of the back wall and is a real bastard to pile through

Jaime

I do OK, I never thought I would be finding as much Northern as I am. I sold pretty much my whole collection before I came to Canada 5 years ago but am now building a decent one again. The stuff I sell on ebay is mostly cheap and cheerful oldies, motown etc to fund trips to the record shows.

There are lots of record shows in the area, they run all through the summer, and a couple of guys hold soul stuff for me and that turns up a few things - my prime example would be Paris Blues on Canadian Polydor !!!!!!

Social source share

Jamie

Name is Kevin New and I grew up in Bishops Cleeve just outside Cheltenham and used to travel to Wigan, Yate etc with Pete French.

Last few years in UK were spent in Winchcombe, a little further outside Cheltenham before coming to Canada in 1999.

Kevin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!