topic closed

JUST READ MR BICKNELLS PLAYLIST, YEAH VERY GOOD, A FEW GOOD ONES IN THERE BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN WRITTEN BY I LEVINE HIMSELF IN THAT WE ARE REMINDED HOW MUCH HE PAID FOR EVERYTING - HAD TO BE ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHYTS OF THE 1ST ROCKET ALL-NITER WHEN LEVINE DID HIS SPOT - SPENT MORE TIME TELLING US HOW RARE HIS RECORDS WERE BEFORE HE PLAYED THEM - IS THIS A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME DURING THE NEW ALL NITER IN MANC'R DURING CERTAIN SPOTS? HAVING SAT THRU' SOMBODYS 'RARE SPOT' RECENTLY BORED SHITLESS (I.E. NON-DANCEABLE, NON-SOULFUL CRAP) MAYBE I'M JUST BEING A BIT CYNICAL ON THE QUIET?

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

first how about putting your name up, wanna criticse someone at least have balls to put your name up

second sorry mate

but you are talking bollocks

read the f****** thing again

post your name if got ought else to add

gonna slag down people at least get the basics right

Social source share

Well i,ve read Marks article and I dont know what you are talkin about re Ian Levine in Disguise

The article just puts down some of Marks current spins out of the many fine records he owns with a little bit of info regarding the 45,s ,nothing whatsoever wrong with that !!!!!

I have heard Mark DJ many times over the years and have yet to hear him play a bad set ,which says a lot for the standard of soul records he plays out, Marks motto has always been to get soulies up dancin and its something he does dam well.

Has for being bored shitless with rare crap get real empty head

all the 45,s Mark mentioned are oldies that have been played on the scene for years !!!!

Is it that you are one of the handbag brigade that want to dance to Third finger left hand, Out on the floor, Who who song ect ect ect ect if so get real and stick to venues where you will hear stuff like that played and stop trying to cause shite on the scene with stupid comments like I.L in disguise !!!!!!

Soulfully Yours......IAN CUNLIFFE

LOVE-PEACE & HAPPINESS

Social source share

Well said Mike, too many people happy to post comments slagging people/venues off without having the guts to put their name to their work!!!!

I forgot to mention on my posting (under Mark's top 20) that, as you said, 'Guest' should read the post again because I saw no mention of value expressed in £'s, only notes that indicated that the discs were rare. As people from all across the world read soul-source and use it as a guide to what's hot etc etc then surely indicating if a 45 is hard to get, a one-off etc etc is a good thing for those who want to get hold of it (or not in most of Marks listing - gutter!!!) Besides, the scene has always given indications as to a records rariety or currency value since the beginning (check out old issues of 'Blackbeat'; 'Midnight Express' 'Sold On Soul'; 'Shades Of Soul', in fact ANY of the fanzines over the years covering this scene of ours!)

Now I've known and respected Mark for many years and this smacks to me of an attempt to attack the new Manchester venue he DJ's at (not runs!) I hope this isn't the start of a dirty tricks war, like those Mr Levine and his allies were so fond to use on the 'Crossfire' events recently.

Why have you not attacked other posters to the site when they have stated record value etc??? (Eric Lomax is the most recent I can think of.)

Right, said what I wanted to say, back to a normal life again with the kids.

TheBigO

Social source share

I am a guest on this site but am happy to post my name, Mark White.Some of you know me. I have known Mark Bicknell for over 20 years. He is a DJ and collector of INTENSE integrity.Anybody with half a brain would know that he champions the cheap not just the rare.You have only to look at the playlist he put out on this site.There are plenty of other second rate, over-rated, unimaginative, blah blah blah so-called DJs doing the rounds of the major venues who should be hauled over the coals for their massive contribution towards ripping off the scene (whatever it is?) and playing (1) crap rock n roll/country n western(2) boots/reissues/CDs (3) awful oldies (and I do mean AWFUL - have these twats had all their creativity removed at Northern Soul DJ/promoters school). So many of those venues in the West Midlands/North West are a very good reason why the so-called "rare soul scene" is dying on it's arse up there or at best turning into the Noughties equivalent of Teddy boys. Sad. Mark is NOT one of them. Get on with it mate. Like you say, KEEP IT REAL but also keep it SOULFUL.

Social source share

total b******s!! - i sure hope that i am around when he plays eddie parker 'im gone' not heard that for years at a niter or soul nite. another gem on his playlist is little nicky soul - absolute stormer that u never hear being played, fantastic dancer - oh and not to forget one of my all time faves the cashmeres 'showstopper'. wont be able to make the first manchester niter mark but will be asking for the above at the next one mate.

i dont think it matters how rare or expensive a record is as long as the punters speak with their feet and i cant see one record in mark b's list that doesnt fall in to that category. as mark b says

'keep it real'

Social source share

ian levine in diguise.dont insult mark with that connection.scanned original labels stuck on boots.made up records ie four vandels.the only connection they have between them they like the odd pork pie.marks being doing the busness know for over two decades or more.knows how to put a good set together.thats why he's a busy dj .and a very nice guy to.and if he lists a set of tunes on the net so what johnny rogers .eddie parker districts.to name a few good on ya mate fkn quality soul i and everyone who repects top rare tunes.want to hear.so to the no name arsehole connected with levine comment f*** off back to your hole you came from

mick

Social source share

Just like to add total b******s too!!! Not a lot more I can add that hasn't already been said in defence of Mark.

Personally saw nothing wrong with the article. You say a few good ones, I didn't see a bad one personally!

The scene will always revolve round rare expensive records. Records of all prices have there part to play, and Mark does champion these but it is the rare records where much of the interest lies.

Chalky

Social source share

i just read mark b's article and i have to say i can see where original posting comes from.

mark mentioned in almost all comments that respective record is ultra are/impossible to find/f***in expensive/etc. complete useless info and nothing but show off to me.

yet the levine comparison is way over the top.

benji

germany

Social source share

What is this??? HAVE A POP at Mark Bicknell week or what.....For fucks sake it was a top twenty of a few tunes I play and rate that's all, yes I mentioned the fact that they are hard to find and rare which is the escence of the scene we are involved in... I was in no way trying to be flash or show off, and how is that my good friend Mick H from Nottingham posted his top ten Plinston spins and got no flack at all..... tell you what shall I say and contribute f*** all on here in the future maybe that would be the best idea and leave it to the faceless critics who like I say shout the loudest and have f*** all to say, the comments after each record was simply a bit of background and nothing more, I could understand a dig or two if the records listed were a pile of crap.

To answer Benji from Germany..... if you consider highlighting records as useless information then ok I respect your comments, but it just so happens that most DJ's on the Northern scene strive to collect and play the best they can as I do.... tell you what you do it in future as I can't be bothered anymore, I may respect your comment but do not value it as it's simply not true what you have said, the fact of the matter is that Clara Hardy for example is a very hard record to find but not impossible as you stated, I never used the word 'impossible' at all, you are putting words in my mouth , if I did come across as flash then I retract that 100% as I said it was a little back ground and nothing more and again I never used the word 'Fucking' at all in the comments listed.

I can't believe that a simple top twenty has upset one or two of you, infact it beggers belief..................................... think what you like, say what you like, and get on with it as I really don't give a flying f*** what you think.........

Keep It Real - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

You're a great DJ with great records Mark, 100% you give.

I have learnt alot from you, as I never heard of alot of records till you started playing them some years back and still enjoy hearing them now with the new ones you are finding or rediscovering, thanks.

I just think there are either alot of jealous people or people with nothing else better to do with there time.

Best to ignore, let them get on with it and get on and enjoy yourself.

Sally

Social source share

Sorry, just read this back and it comes across a bit strong, in no way do I wish to upset Benji from Germany, but it's a bit much to have a go a nothing more than a top twenty.

There are far more serious subjects and topics which should be addressed on the scene currently and worse people to have a pop at than me, still perhaps folk are affraid to comment on the darker side of the scene?????????? think about it!!!!!!!

Again if my comments came across as flash then I retract all comments on the records listed ok, so please have a pop at the bootleggers and chancers on the scene and not someone who still has so much passion for the music ...it hurts me.

This website is about debate and opinion and is a wonderful way to inform and share our passion for possibly the best form of music known to man.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

What the f*** is going on!!!! It's a top 20 of rare records spun by a DJ, whom I rate by the way, and who has a love and a passion for the scene that many could learn from, with comments designed to aid collectors and inform in general. This scene of ours is based and built upon the sharing of knowledge and the love for great soul music, music that is rare in quality not only quantity.

Mark has done no more than carry on a tradiation that has existed since the scene was built in the early 60's. Commenting to assist in the hunt for the vinyl, letting you know how hard that hunt may indeed be.

I have dealt with Benji in the past and have always found him a pleasure but I have to say on this one mate your wrong.

I think Mark's right, it does just seem to be have a go at him month. I have never had problems with Mark, despite the fact that we don't always agree on some issues relating to the scene, and I respect him and his comments because they are constructive and passionate and he truly loves, as we all do, this scene of ours. Having seen some of the other comments posted relating to other topics I would say there are others who deserve to be taken to task other than Mark!

Now, can we all back off and get back to enjoying this life we have chosen - otherwise my head may explode!!!!!

TheBigO :-P

Social source share