Randy Crawford

Dayo

This might be slightly off topic, but it can't do any harm to discuss soul in general sometimes.

Ok, so I'm busy educating my girlfriend and winning her round to soul music in general - though predicting what she likes is almost impossible. eg Loves Don Varner, hates Eddie Parker. Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, back to the thread;

Yesterday we're chilling and she says she wants to play me some soul music she likes. She puts on some Randy Crawford - greatest hits, or best of. She wants to know what I think? I tell her that I quite like Randy Crawford, but I don't regard her as a soul singer. She says there's no logic in that.

So what do you think? Is or was Randy Crawford a soul singer?

Thanks

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Lady Maverick

It's hard to pinpoint her because although she has been largely regarded on the jazz circuit, most notably in the Crusaders with STREET LIFE, some of her songs has been crossed to Funk, Soul, and Adult Contemporary. However, if you place her name in a search engine, she comes up in Jazz.

Social source share

Well I'd say of course she is. Personally, I'm not a fan and most of her stuff doesn't do a great deal for me. However, she is definitely a very good (soul) singer. I didn't think she made much of an effort on Later With Jools Holland on Friday night but the natural ability is still there.

Social source share

Definately one of the best Soul Albums of 1979 was "Raw Silk".

Almost wore out my first copy within 12 months.

The highlights "Where There Was Darkness" "I Hope You'll Be Very Unhappy Without Me" "Nobody" and a cool rendition of Marvin's "Just To Keep You Satisfied" were amongst the best album tracks of the decade.

She went well off the boil though (IMO) with some of her later stuff (Almaz... what was that all about?) but for lovers of SOUL Music "Raw Silk" is an awesome album.

Has your girlfriend got that?

If not, buy it for her and I'm sure you'll experience mutual satisfaction.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

Her "Permanent" set from around 2000 is good too , "Sweetest Thing" is a really top cut , "When The Evening Comes" is a great dancer and a big fave at SU over the years , her version of "All I Do" isn't bad either....I would place her in the "jazzy/soul" category.

Also like the Mousse T remix of "Wishin On A Star"

Lin

Edited by soulgirlie
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...She's a soul singer as far as I'm concerned. "One Day I'll Fly Away" is one of the most emotion-laden preformances I've ever heard, Randy may not be Irma Thomas or Linda Jones, but she'll do for me.

You might care to check out "This OI' Heart Of Mine", written and produced by Womack and Womack and featuring them on backing vocals, for a near-perfect piece of modern soul. "Ain't No Foolin'" (also with W & W) from the same album, "Nightline", is another killer, and her version of Clarence Carter' "Take It Off Her And Put It On Me", from her second Warner Brothers album, is superb. Her two Columbia singles, as alluded to above, are great also.

Yes, she's a soul singer all right...

TONE :huh:

Would one say that George Benson is a soul singer ?

Probably not in the way that Randy Crawford is, no, but he's a great recording artist nonetheless...

TONE :lol:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest sydney bridge
Ive been listening to her new CD with Joe Sample.Very Jazzy and very very good,
I heard a great version of Nina Simones Seeline Woman from this c.d. Can anyone upload it?
Social source share

This might be slightly off topic, but it can't do any harm to discuss soul in general sometimes.

Ok, so I'm busy educating my girlfriend and winning her round to soul music in general - though predicting what she likes is almost impossible. eg Loves Don Varner, hates Eddie Parker. Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, back to the thread;

Yesterday we're chilling and she says she wants to play me some soul music she likes. She puts on some Randy Crawford - greatest hits, or best of. She wants to know what I think? I tell her that I quite like Randy Crawford, but I don't regard her as a soul singer. She says there's no logic in that.

So what do you think? Is or was Randy Crawford a soul singer?

Thanks

Colin

============

Would definitely say she is, although she's more closely related to Jazz. I think Lauren Hill has a good soulful voice, but not sure if she'd be considered soul because of hip-hop connections.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Would one say that George Benson is a soul singer ?

funny you mention george benson.......personally i can't stand randy crawford's voice, but i remember going out one night and somebody played a version of give me the night by randy crawford, and my friends who came with me were raving about this version for the rest of the weekend - it was quite nice too

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I think I'd have to put him in the jazz box.

It's interesting to hear everyone's views on artists like this - the line that defines soul music is vague sometimes.

he's a jazz guitarist - but most people these days would know him for his disco hits

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

George Benson is another jazz musician/singer who has crossed over to Soul and Adult Contemporary, much like Hubert Laws did in the 70s.

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

randy crawford.mp3 - randy crawford -

11459 refosoul

As requested

thanks Adam,only just noticed youd posted it.credit must also go to Mr.Sample. thumbsup.gif
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert