Anyone know this - The Delicados on Heigh-Ho

Benji

Picked this up blind. Anyone know this?

THE DELICADOS - I CAN TELL/TIME AND TIME AGAIN - HEIGH-HO 640

A-side is a pretty obscure mid to uptempo group soul dancer. Not the best vocals in the world but pleasing if you know what I mean. B-Side is a ok-ish ballad.

Label is New York. But apart from the label address (1674, Broadway) and phone no there's no more info.

Tried to find more information via Google but all I could find was a YT vid of the ballad side and that said song was included in a low rider compilation.

Anyone with more info?

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi Benji

I can't tell you about The Delicados, but Heigh-Ho was a label run by Hyman (Hy) Fenster. His name may be credited ( production, etc) on your record.

His other lable was Gold.

He was assocaited with Irving Berlin Music for 25 yrs or so, and died in Sept 1971.

Maybe it's a lead you could follow? good luck.

Social source share

No Hyman Fenster credited. Publishing is "House of Hanover", BMI. I'm sti'ill not sure what to think of it and what to do with the record. Both sides ok but as I don't collect US 45's nothing I'd keep. I guess I'll put a post in the sales section....

Social source share

Another group on Heigh-Ho in the mid 60's were the Dagenites. Two of the guys in that group were brothers John & Julian Bardi. Ray Dahrouge wrote the top side song on their 2nd Heigh-Ho 45 (released in Jan 66).

Ray, at that time, was working out on NJ and travelling into NY to sell his songs.

He was working (as a writer or singer) with NJ outfits like Ray & The Darchaes. Sam Siciliano who co-wrote the Dagenites song with Ray had started the group the Darchaes up and Ray told me that Sam had a great ear for music. No idea if Ray or Sam also knew / were involved with the Delicados but I could ask him. Ray was in college at the time, however when he'd come home, he'd go into NY to write songs with the likes of Neil Levenson and Sam. He also worked with the likes of  The Jay Walkers (featuring Mickey Holiday) and the Soul Set featuring Norman Seldin. No doubt all these groups were on the same circuit as the Delicados.

The Delicados sound quite like a white doo-wop group to me, just the type of outfit that Ray Dahrouge was working with back then.

HeighHoRecsAd64.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The label on that 45 looks a lot different to all the other Heigh-Ho releases. PLUS ... on the net there's reference to 1ST PRESS not re-press of some Zircon's 45's ... there's also a later numbered 45 on the label from the Youngsters that looks just like the earlier releases on the label.

Was there demand from US R&R, doo wop garage collectors in the past that led to re-issues & vaulted tracks getting pressed up many years down the line ?

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

12 hours ago, Benji said:

Here's a picture of the a-side

IMG_20171202_224435.jpg

Blandon is Richard Blandon of the doo-wop group the Dubs. They had a hit in 57/58 with "could it be magic". Sinclair is Mack Sinclair. Richard Blandon and the Dubs re-surfaced in the early 70's to cut some stuff which was produced by Wayne Stierle. (i guess this is one of them). George Goldner got the Dubs underway with their first hit "could it be magic" - Hence, as my previous post, the GOLD (Goldner) label that was also associated with Hyman's Heigh-Ho.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!