outside influences

Guest Spain pete

Guest Spain pete

Recently played Debbie Taylor's l don't wanna leave you . it's got that great little bit in it that sounds like a Lamont Dozier influence     ( why can't we be lovers )         ,   always found it fascinating  that some artists pick up on other acts that are around at the time ,     without having any connection , ANY MORE SPRING TO MIND  ?🎶

Social source share

The Ambassadors "Too Much Of A Good Thing"  and Danny Monday "Baby Without You"

The Temptones- "Girl I Love You" and The Ringleaders "Baby What Has Happened To Our Love" 

Just noticed Velvet and The Quads have the same writers and producers so I think they just changed the lyrics.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

One of my favorite records has got to be you don't know , paramount four , influenced to these ears by the temps , l'm losing you  . 👌🎶🎶

Social source share

On 13 février 2018 at 17:38, the yank said:

The Ambassadors "Too Much Of A Good Thing"  and Danny Monday "Baby Without You"

The Temptones- "Girl I Love You" and The Ringleaders "Baby What Has Happened To Our Love" 

Just noticed Velvet and The Quads have the same writers and producers so I think they just changed the lyrics.

The Ambassadors with Danny Monday with the horns build-up and the Temptones and the Ringleaders for guitar 1/2 tempo riff and echoey overall groove sound but for the rest... more like a common "feature". Coincidence IMO more than "reference".

One that grows on me lately is the Fabulous Peps 'love of my life' = Marvin's 'I'll be doggone'. Cliché and nonchalant but it "sticks like glue".

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
5 minutes ago, local said:

Written on the wall - Invitations

Mr Moonlight - Lenny O’Henry

both  have Bob Crewe involvement as a producer and writer on Lenny and as co writer on the Invations.

It says  connectionless 😂🎶

Social source share

** Arthur Conley- "Sweet Soul Music" sounds like Sam Cooke's "Yeah Man"

** Christine Cooper- "Heartaches Away" has a strong Supremes feel - lots of "Back In My Arms Again" 

** Tina Britt's "The Real Thing" obviously influenced by the Vandellas' "Heatwave"

** Richie Adams "I Can't Escape From You" influenced by Marvin's "Ain't That Peculiar" 

** not sure if these are "common features" or "coincidences" 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
2 hours ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Every time I hear "She Calls Me Baby" by J. Kelly & The Premiers remind me on "Oh Baby, Baby" by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Good call , smokey grande influence on lots of acts 👏🎶🎶🎶around 8years difference though , any more around the same time.?

Edited by Spain pete
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!