Superbs Dore oddity

I was informed Rod Shard who lurks here was a Dore buff or anyone else with an eye for an oddity.

This looks like a T P of a Dore re-release of I Wanna Do It With You Baby. It has Goddess Of Love on the flip; both are from the original stampers though of course they were on different releases originally. I would have thought it was something to do with the mooted Grapevine release in the late 70s but they were going to use Go For What You Know on the flip. Dore 609 was an unrelated 1961 pop 45 by the Palisades and 129 doesn't tally with anything. It looks like it was done on 28th August but what year? Any insights?

Superbs I Wanna Do It AC.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Ady

A few years ago I acquired an uncatalogued issue of The Superbs  'Rain-drops, Memories  & Tears (Dore 715) on LA based label Together.  The label ran for about three years from 1969-71.  The Superbs label looks superficially  legit but based on discogs entries for the Together  label this Superbs 45 is an anomaly of style and numbering. I thought it was possibly a bootleg (although why bother is a legit question) but still put it forward to discogs for listing. A few copies have since turned up.

Could your test pressing be another Superbs record intended for the Together label?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Superbs-Rain-Drops-Memories-and-Tears-Baby-All-The-Time/release/8141052

best

Greg

Edited by Firecrest
spelling error.
Social source share

Thanks Greg, very interesting but unlikely as Baby Baby would be in demand in L A because it's a great Lowrider ballad whereas I Wanna Do It and to a lesser extent the flip were only wanted in the UK. It's an odd release as Raindrops is either a throwaway instrumental or a maudlin country-style talk over ballad. Unless any of the numbering from mine tallies with the Together releases I think we can discount it.

Thanks very much

Ady

Social source share

On 22/03/2019 at 12:34, ady croasdell said:

I was informed Rod Shard who lurks here was a Dore buff or anyone else with an eye for an oddity.

This looks like a T P of a Dore re-release of I Wanna Do It With You Baby. It has Goddess Of Love on the flip; both are from the original stampers though of course they were on different releases originally. I would have thought it was something to do with the mooted Grapevine release in the late 70s but they were going to use Go For What You Know on the flip. Dore 609 was an unrelated 1961 pop 45 by the Palisades and 129 doesn't tally with anything. It looks like it was done on 28th August but what year? Any insights?

Superbs I Wanna Do It AC.jpg

I am wondering if it was recorded in 1961 and was going to be Dore 609 and the wasn't released until 1967 as Dore 782, or is that me being stupid again

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert