Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Mezzer

Cairo Records compilations

Has anyone checked out the four vinyl only compilations on Cairo  Records?  Some superlative stuff on these - nice presentation too:

 https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Love-You-Save-American-Soul-Music-1955-To-1972/master/1735482

https://www.discogs.com/Various-All-Of-This-Goes-Too-American-Soul-Music-1955-1972/release/12188523

discogs.com/Various-The-Truth-Is-A-Lie-American-Soul-Music-1955-1972/master/1735233

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Freedom-For-The-Stallion-American-Soul-Music-1952-1976/release/13854534

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Must have taken some effort to license all that lot

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I wonder who's the target audience for these compilations?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Must have taken some effort to license all that lot

Given that there are no credits of any kind, I wonder about that and other aspects too. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Mezzer said:

Given that there are no credits of any kind, I wonder about that and other aspects too. 

I somehow don’t think they have licensed them all 😉 Sure this label has come up in conversation before. 

Edited by Chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Done a bit of digging - Cairo Records seems to be an imprint of Portland, Oregon based Mississippi Records, although I can't find anything on the Mississippi site that would confirm this:

https://mississippirecords.net/

There are various references to the link on other sites. For example:

https://www.monorailmusic.com/album/7817dd8a-7634-11e8-9211-22000b754a1f/All_Of_This_Goes_Too_Cairo_Records_American_Soul_M.html

It also claims there's an 8-page booklet of liner notes that comes with the album, so that might lower the chances of any bootleggery.

This page claims there's a 20 page booklet for another in the series:

https://www.meditations.jp/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=10&products_id=22804&language=en

Might be worth checking with a dealer who's stocked these for more info.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Done a bit of digging - Cairo Records seems to be an imprint of Portland, Oregon based Mississippi Records, although I can't find anything on the Mississippi site that would confirm this:

https://mississippirecords.net/

There are various references to the link on other sites. For example:

https://www.monorailmusic.com/album/7817dd8a-7634-11e8-9211-22000b754a1f/All_Of_This_Goes_Too_Cairo_Records_American_Soul_M.html

It also claims there's an 8-page booklet of liner notes that comes with the album, so that might lower the chances of any bootleggery.

This page claims there's a 20 page booklet for another in the series:

https://www.meditations.jp/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=10&products_id=22804&language=en

Might be worth checking with a dealer who's stocked these for more info.

They are definitely a sub label of Mississippi Records.   I have 3 of the 4 titles in the American Soul Music series and all have a quite lavish booklet (the 20 page one for Freedom For The Stallion is also in colour).   These booklets contain interesting background stories for each track/artist, but no publishing, licensing or songwriter credits (including on the labels).  No credits for the photos used either.  

Edited by Mezzer
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Boot. Stealing a lot of great tracks from the Dave Godin comps 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Ady Croasdell said:

Boot. Stealing a lot of great tracks from the Dave Godin comps 

Boot or boots Ady have you looked at all there stuff 😀

This is the "parent label"

5202 N Albina Ave  
Portland, OR 97217 
(503) 282-2990

The above address matches the link below but not the phone number

http://www.sweedeedee.com ?

This does though

https://www.straight.com/travel-portland/shop/powells-city-books

If you click on the link it turns really odd ?

Eddie.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
19 hours ago, Mezzer said:

They are definitely a sub label of Mississippi Records.   I have 3 of the 4 titles in the American Soul Music series and all have a quite lavish booklet (the 20 page one for Freedom For The Stallion is also in colour).   These booklets contain interesting background stories for each track/artist, but no publishing, licensing or songwriter credits (including on the labels).  No credits for the photos used either.  

https://fatpossum.com/record-store-spotlight-mississippi-records/?fbclid=IwAR2u4mOFIh4qurcgUSdb3yY_BByVpyftWNZ7YWAjhlH4ihyPv_7WTl6Hvx0

  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Found this information too:

 

https://mississippirecords.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/the-safety-zone/

  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Liberty Records Various Artist Compilations?
    All About the SOUL by Guest Shufflin on Mon 19 Mar 2018
    • 13 / 1263
    • Daved on 10 Apr 2018
  2. Most Treasured Cd Compilations
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Sun 20 Nov 2005
    • 5 / 637
    • Guest on 22 Nov 2005
  3. Decent Cd Compilations
    All About the SOUL by Guest johnm on Tue 16 May 2006
    • 10 / 712
    • johnm on 17 May 2006
  4. Creating And Distributing Compilations
    All About the SOUL by Guest cyrus on Sun 22 Apr 2007
    • 1 / 480
    • cyrus on 22 Apr 2007
  5. Soul Compilations - Your Favourite
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Fri 26 Nov 2004
    • 13 / 3039
    • Citizen P on 26 Nov 2004

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.