Eddie Sull

Soulfool

44 minutes ago, Soulfool said:

Can anyone tell me the first label release of Eddie Sull - "I'm Looking For My Baby", Renee or Marc?  Someone answered my query earlier but I notice that the Marc release is more expensive, according to a Dealer website.  Any info would be appreciated.

Renee is the first press,it is also a slightley different mix to the marc copy. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'd bet that Renee was first.  During my 20 years of record scrounging after its release, I have seen many more of the Renee issue.  So, I suspect that the Marc version is rarer.  And, remember that I was based out of Chicago when it was released, and saw many more at that time.  In fact, I had NEVER seen the Marc issue, until years later, when another collector found one.  So, I have reason to believe the Renee version was released first.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Exactly!  Renee was Leo Austell's label, and Lamaja was his publishing company.  Louis Satterfield was Chicago's best bassist during the 1960s.  He was The James Jamerson of Chicago.  From the sharing of the two publishing rights, I gather that Marc was a joint-venture label between the two, OR, Austell was strapped for money, but wanted to re-release Eddie Sullivan's record, so he leased it to Satterfield.  I think the Marc pressing was one or 2 years later than the Renee issue, because I only saw it a couple years later.  Austell was involved in many labels where he was part of a partnership. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!