David Grant

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

as i see clips of Fame Academy it makes me think of David Grant and his band Linx. Any idea if maybe they had any stuff good enough for the Modern room or as some would say commercial 80's soul which is loads of tosh.

i think he was underated soul singer

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Yesterday I spun "Plaything" from 1982, that is one serious boogie track, in fact so good I played it three times in a row. Always been one of my top tunes, fantastic vocals, superb Louis Johnson style bass solo, and brilliant keyboards, it's comfortably 10 out of 10 for me and by far their best track way way ahead of anything else they did. Essential !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Personally, I think "You're Lying" still sounds great - love the intro. Most of the stuff, particularly his solo records, are pop.

Me too - the first Linx album is still there at the pinnacle of early 80s UK Jazz funk. I still have the rare original 12 inch issue of "You're Lying" on the tiny Aves label. Chrysalis picked up on it very quickly so there was no second presing on Aves...

I also still adore David and Jaki Graham's version of "Mated", although the original, by Todd Rundrgren's Utopia, is considerably more soulful, like most things that Rundgren did the original version of.

TONE

Social source share

At the risk of repeating myself for the 50th time, "I saw the light" is my all time favourite record - of any genre

It's way up there somewhere in the top for me to. :wicked:

Nice eclectic body of work... from Nazz, to his solo stuff, to producing/engineering parts of The Band's "Stage Fright", to producing Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" album, to Utopia... you name it, he probably did it. Most of it brilliantly as well. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

I don't know it Martin. Any chance you could put it up please?

Looks like i'm going to have to get the correct cable quickly because this last week or so this is the fifth track Ive been asked to load. Dave I will try and get the missing piece of equipment I need and do it in a few days time. Thanks Martin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert