Mellow Madness 45

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 20
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Kenny Dope often seems to cock up perfectly good songs with his remixes. He tends to extend breaks, which usually serves to drain the energy from a song - he virtually managed to turn the Johnny King 12" into a house record by messing around with the structure so much. There's a good reason why original copies of big records are worth obscene money in the first place, i.e. loads of people think they're brilliant. In which case, why does KD think he knows better than hundreds of soul connoisseurs? Mucking about with bona fide killers just seems stupid to me.

So, the fun of going out to hear Dave Ripolles, Butch, Trouble etc. play Mellow Madness has been spoiled a bit, because you can now hear a bloke with a daft asymmetrical haircut giving it a spin in your local trendy bar. But judging by that clip, the remixed repress won't sound like a proper copy... In other words, this record "has been shat on, but not flushed away"!

Social source share

Guest Demotron

Kenny Dope often seems to cock up perfectly good songs with his remixes. He tends to extend breaks, which usually serves to drain the energy from a song - he virtually managed to turn the Johnny King 12" into a house record by messing around with the structure so much. There's a good reason why original copies of big records are worth obscene money in the first place, i.e. loads of people think they're brilliant. In which case, why does KD think he knows better than hundreds of soul connoisseurs? Mucking about with bona fide killers just seems stupid to me.

So, the fun of going out to hear Dave Ripolles, Butch, Trouble etc. play Mellow Madness has been spoiled a bit, because you can now hear a bloke with a daft asymmetrical haircut giving it a spin in your local trendy bar. But judging by that clip, the remixed repress won't sound like a proper copy... In other words, this record "has been shat on, but not flushed away"!

I think the "Peace Love not War" remix is actually better to play out than the original. The sound on the OG is pretty weak and the remix gives much needed punch to the high and mid areas. I'm not mad at the new structure, I actually think it is pretty good. I won't spit on the Mellow Madness re-issue either, considering I don't want travel to another country everytime I need to hear it.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Anybody know if there's a plan for a 12" release?

12"?! hold up jamie, people are still slashing their wrists over the 7" remix :P

Social source share

So, the fun of going out to hear Dave Ripolles, Butch, Trouble etc. play Mellow Madness has been spoiled a bit, because you can now hear a bloke with a daft asymmetrical haircut giving it a spin in your local trendy bar.

As if you would be living in Berlin and enjoying the nightlife over here :P Perfect, bloody brilliant.

Social source share

As if you would be living in Berlin and enjoying the nightlife over here :boxing: Perfect, bloody brilliant.

I'm coming to Berlin with the "hot box" and the missus in a couple of weeks as it happens... I'll be DJing at the Lovelite on the 17th, it's a funk night but I'll be slipping some interesting crossover stuff in. Hoping the hair won't be too asymmetrical of course...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!