Lenny Harkins

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There are different "final value fees" on ebay.co.uk and on ebay.com

On eBay.co.uk the final value fee for "media products" (i.e. records) is always 9% of the closing value.

On eBay.com the following applies:

Item not sold - No Fee

$0.01 - $25.00 - 5.25% of the closing value

$25.01 - $1,000.00 - 5.25% of the initial $25.00 ($1.31), plus 3.25% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00)

Equal to or Over $1000.01 - 5.25% of the initial $25.00 ($1.31), plus 3.25% of the initial $25.01 - $1,000.00 ($31.69), plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1000.01 - closing value)

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

And don"t forget the fookin pay-pal charges also :D

Its a load of bowllix

I sold one a while back, for around £360

cost me nearly £50 in fees and charges via pay-pal angry.gif

Social source share

I don't get it why some people complain about the eBay/PayPal charges as if they've been wronged in some way. As if their services should be free or cheap.

One might have the opinion that the fees mentioned on the eBay and PayPal homepages are too high, but it's all there in plain text for everyone to read and they're not trying to fool anyone.

They provide a service and they charge money for their users to use it.

If someone don't want to pay the prices or think that they're too high, then they shouldn't use their services.

In my opinion etc. :(:thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't get it why some people complain about the eBay/PayPal charges as if they've been wronged in some way. As if their services should be free or cheap.

One might have the opinion that the fees mentioned on the eBay and PayPal homepages are too high, but it's all there in plain text for everyone to read and they're not trying to fool anyone.

They provide a service and they charge money for their users to use it.

If someone don't want to pay the prices or think that they're too high, then they shouldn't use their services.

In my opinion etc. :(:thumbsup:

Except if you were to place an ad in a paper it would be for a fixed fee, eg selling a car.

No sliding scale and then further charges on top if / when you sell the item.

Perhaps it's me but I think most people would consider a fixed price fairer, even if based on the final sale value. eg £1-£99 = cost X, £100-£499=cost Y, £500 - £999 etc

Also imo :thumbup:

Social source share

Except if you were to place an ad in a paper it would be for a fixed fee, eg selling a car.

No sliding scale and then further charges on top if / when you sell the item.

Perhaps it's me but I think most people would consider a fixed price fairer, even if based on the final sale value. eg £1-£99 = cost X, £100-£499=cost Y, £500 - £999 etc

Also imo :thumbsup:

I have no problem with that people think that the fees are to high or "unfair".

It's that they feel wronged or unexpectedly "robbed" with the outcome that I don't understand. The sliding fee scale is the way eBay/PayPal have decided to do their business. We can either accept it or not, the info is there before anyone places an item on eBay.

Besides, there is no sliding scale fee for records if you list them on the UK eBay site, it's always 9% regardless of what it sells for.

Social source share

There are different "final value fees" on ebay.co.uk and on ebay.com

On eBay.co.uk the final value fee for "media products" (i.e. records) is always 9% of the closing value.

On eBay.com the following applies:

Item not sold - No Fee

$0.01 - $25.00 - 5.25% of the closing value

$25.01 - $1,000.00 - 5.25% of the initial $25.00 ($1.31), plus 3.25% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00)

Equal to or Over $1000.01 - 5.25% of the initial $25.00 ($1.31), plus 3.25% of the initial $25.01 - $1,000.00 ($31.69), plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1000.01 - closing value)

All very well if you're an accountant or if you enjoy doing unnecessary calculations but really too complicated by far for most consumers - which is EXACTLY what they want.

I find the company to be very anonymous and not helpful at all if something needs sorting out.

Also it appears to be better to go via eBay.com for more return on the auction, so it makes you wonder where the incentive to go through ebay.co.uk is? Maybe a mathematical enthusiast out there can come up with exactly how much more profitable it would be to sell on .com rather than .co.uk LOL.....

Still think loading stuff is a pain too........

Ian D

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

eBay.com no longer automatically displays itself to people using eBay.co.uk

In order to see a .com entry the .co.uk user has to click on the location>worldwide button everytime to see any .com entries.

Also I believe all .com postings have to be in dollars which means you don't know what you're ultimately going to get in £££ (At the moment you'd be gaining on what you expected a week ago, but it can go either way...).

BTW - Real life auctions work on a %age basis as well...

Edited by JJMMWGDuPree
Social source share

And don"t forget the fookin pay-pal charges also :D

Its a load of bowllix

I sold one a while back, for around £360

cost me nearly £50 in fees and charges via pay-pal :D

All credit card handlers charge a fee and 3% isn't unusual. I had a streamline machine in my pub and got charged around 3% for all the transactions put through it. If I hadn't had it I wouldn't have done a lot of business though cos nearly everyone paid their bill with a card.

You are charged for the convenience, the idea is to work the charges into your price :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!