John Hendley

Mach

reading Harry,s thread earlier regarding j.c messina, got me thinking about another record of the same period, a record i hated..to start with, then suddenly i loved it ,and have done ever since, i got a reissue in the late 70s of allens records in bradford (remember him?)..well hes still dealing, from the same house,one of the most knowledgable,and friendliest guys you could ever wish to meet,and if you ever called in to see him (appointment) you could be there hours, a real treasure trove. anyway back to hendley, anyone know any info on him, i was once told by someone?...that he was a white (sounds like it),comedian from chicago, a rare record on original mutt & jeff (19) Incidentley my reiss sounds terrible are they all the same?

No doubt this record fits in the love it or hate it cat.any thoughts.

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Johnny Hendley was a black guy, from California and responsible for a few of the most iconic records on our scene: not only the aforementioned Mutt & Jeff 45, but also he was the 'John' of John and The Weirdest fame as well as being the vocalist on the original, rare take of The Inspirations "No-one Else Can Take Your Place" on Breakthrough (the 70s reissue features an alternate version with another group member, Charles 'Diamond' Perry taking the lead).

Social source share

intresting..no time on tie,heart wrenching soul and MBCFON is comedy like in places,with the tongue rasping, but great key changes,i would never of linked the two or three with the inspirations.. well there you go! learning all the time.cheers for the info lads. wink.gif

Social source share

'the 70s reissue features an alternate version with another group member, Charles 'Diamond' Perry taking the lead'

Gareth I take it this is Charles Perry of 'How Can I' fame? Also on Mutt & Jeff amongst other labels?

Amazing how some of these artists could change their vocal style so much. Always thought that between the two versions of Elvin Spencer as well.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert