Ace New Sep Releases

New Releases for SEPTEMBER 2003

from Ace Records

WESTBOUND FUNK - CD - CDBGPD 155 - 2LP - BGP2 155

The film 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown' is trying its best to reinstate one of the oldest music history myths, namely that Detroit died a sudden musical death at about the time that Berry Gordy's eye was caught by the Californian sun and a beckoning Hollywood. Fortunately someone forgot to tell Detroit. In 1969, Holland, Dozier and Holland set up their Hot Wax and Invictus outfits and Armen Boladian's Westbound Records opened up its doors as one of the most adventurous mainstream record labels to commit music to vinyl. more

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/gotrt/aug03/cdbgpd155.html

VERNON GARRETT / I Made My Own World - CDKEND 224

If I start this piece by calling Vernon Garrett a journeyman artist, many of you might see that as a criticism of his talents. Not at all, my friends - look in the Penguin English Dictionary and you'll find that the definition of 'Journeyman' is "an experienced and reliable performer". Well, Vernon's still going strong in his sixth decade as a recording artist, and his recorded output has rarely veered towards the land of the unlistenable in all that time, so he's both "experienced" and "reliable" to the ears of soul fans. more

THE ZOMBIES / New World - CDWIKM 234

Just in case you needed a reminder, we point out once again that Big Beat is the official, band-sanctioned, true home of the Zombies. Here we continue on with our acclaimed reissue programme with the long out of print New World. In 1991 fans of these vintage pop magicians were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of a new collection of songs bearing the Zombies' name. more

THE NIPS'N'NIPPLE ERECTORS / Bops, Babes, Booze & Bovver - CDWIKM 66

Ace introduced its first Compact Disc line in 1986, and since then we've reformatted most of our best selling vinyl albums to fit those small shiny circles. It would be fair to say that , 17 years later, almost all of the classic Ace/Kent/Chiswick/Big Beat vinyls do now have a CD equivalent but, honest types that we are, we'd be the first to admit that there's still a handful of our long-serving catalogue albums that have so far eluded Cdfication. more

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert