Fair Trade?

Guest remus

• Replies 19
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think its wrong if they charge dealers who may have 4 box's, but then let people with a couple of box's walk around for free. It should be free for all. after all at a weekender this is the entertainment in the day. This is the gathering point. The meeting point for most people.

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Prestatyn was £75 plus VAT for a very small table. Whitby was £50 of i remember for a decent sized table. I know a lot of people were pi**ed off about the arrangements at Prestatyn this year. Many people turned up with quite hefty boxes without booking a table and just putting them down where they could find a space. This annoyed the people who had paid upfront for the tables and rightly so in my opinion. I dont think this is the fault of the record dealers though. The promoters should ensure all paying customers receive a fair deal.

I don't know whether the charge is a good thing or bad thing to be honest.

I know the majority of soul nights/allnighter promoters welcome record dealers with open arms. If a venue is well attended by record dealers the punters usually follow in my experience.

Maybe the promoters out there can give there views on why they believe a charge should occur for record dealers? Until then I will keep an open-mind.

Shane

Social source share

Charging for tables might be necessary in some cases, at least if you intend to occupy large tables, but the prices must be reasonable. Best would be if it was free though, since many good record dealers in attendance basically do the venue a favour since they are an added attraction for many soulies!

Social source share

Guest remus

I think its wrong if they charge dealers who may have 4 box's, but then let people with a couple of box's walk around for free.  It should be free for all. after all at a weekender this is the entertainment in the day. This is the gathering point. The meeting point for most people.

link

Exactly my thoughts. A weekender, Alnighter without records for sale, can you imagine it!?

These little black boxes are part of the "Culture", a very big part. Most peolpe with these boxes take them to make a few bob for their next buy... Probably from another black box!.

Social source share

Guest remus

Charging for tables might be necessary in some cases, at least if you intend to occupy large tables, but the prices must be reasonable. Best would be if it was free though, since many good record dealers in attendance basically do the venue a favour since they are an added attraction for many soulies!

link

I wonder what the "Chargers" would pefer, Roger Banks and Andy Dyson takeing up two tables or a "Spare" two tables for people to sit at?

Without the dealers it would be part of the night missing.

Social source share

I think it's a "KIN DISGRACE" to charge people to sell their records at Weekenders.

What about you?

link

was this price on top of the weeked pass :huh:

link

Maybe a seller or charger can answer that?

link

Remus, you started this topic, then when Baz asked a question it seems you're not too sure of the full facts.

As for dealers being charged, I think a promoter is entitled to charge. He is the one that has organised the event, so why should he subsidise (by laying on a venue & potential customers) someone making money out of selling records?

At the end of the day though, nobody is forced to do anything they don't want to.

Social source share

Guest remus

Remus, you started this topic, then when Baz asked a question it seems you're not too sure of the full facts.

As for dealers being charged, I think a promoter is entitled to charge.  He is the one that has organised the event, so why should he subsidise (by laying on a venue & potential customers) someone making money out of selling records?

At the end of the day though, nobody is forced to do anything they don't want to.

link

Baz asked if the fee for selling was on top of the pass fee. How would I know, I wasn't selling. Only a seller or "Charger" can answer that surely?

If your opinion is that promoters are 'subsidiseing' the sellers, then "WE" the punters are 'subsidiseing' the promoters by paying the door fee.

I wonder how many promoters allow 'sellers' in for free so that they can bring their 45's that we buy that keep the scene going and the hope by the promoters that they will "pull" in extra punters.... Loads of them do/have.

Social source share

:huh: We don't charge dealers to sell at the Plinston as the way we see it is they pay their money like everyone else and attract collectors etc, one of whom is me!!!!! :huh: Never understood why promotors feel they should be charging for people selling their records but each to their own.
Social source share

Guest remus

:huh: We don't charge dealers to sell at the Plinston as the way we see it is they pay their money like everyone else and attract collectors etc, one of whom is me!!!!! :lol: Never understood why promotors feel they should be charging for people selling their records but each to their own.

link

Top Bomber! :huh:

Dealers are part of the framework of the raresoul scene and every night sholud have one.

As long as they pay on the 'door' they are the same as you I.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Can only speak for Soultown allniters,we dont never have and never will charge the dealers,the way i see it they are a vital part of the event would be a piss poor event with out them.Obviously the weekenders do have substantial running cost,s

so i can see that a small charge may be needed to cover the cost of a large room

but don,t see why niters or soul nites charge.Speaking of which only 2 tables left for July 16 middleton civic hall niter left,so if you want one get in touch pronto.[free of course].

Social source share

Don't get me started on Prestatyn sales pitch....

£75+ vat. regardless of size of table.... the variation in size was laughable.

Record Dealers shoved to the back of the room, with various 'Keep The Faith' tea towel sellers surrounding them.

Sold about £400 woth of records/magazines/sheet music over the entire weekend.

Original outlay was probably £250 on these.

So that means about £150 was 'profit'....

Before taking the cost of the table into account(approx £85 inc vat)

Prestatyn probably cost me £100 more than I made, with refereshments etc purchased during the time I was in there with my sales.

A bit annoying, then when you see other 'dealers' setting up 200 count boxes on tables for free, and closer to the bar area, grabbing all of the buyers before they managed to get to the back of the room.

Still makes me mad to think about it now

Social source share

:huh: We don't charge dealers to sell at the Plinston as the way we see it is they pay their money like everyone else and attract collectors etc, one of whom is me!!!!! :huh: Never understood why promotors feel they should be charging for people selling their records but each to their own.

link

Defo agree.....same at Rugby. Love to see the dealers. Part of the night.

Social source share

Guest remus

As for dealers being charged, I think a promoter is entitled to charge.  He is the one that has organised the event, so why should he subsidise (by laying on a venue & potential customers) someone making money out of selling records?

link

How about chargeing these cheeky feckers for dareing to hand out flyers at Soul nites to promote other soul/nighters, useing the promoters venue to line their pockets with new potential customers....And while were at it, charge punters for wearing badges promoting other venues!! :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert