The Isley Brothers did they ever do I Heard it through the grapevine?

Hello soul fans out there. I'm Johnnie K. from New Zealand. Can someone out there tell me if the Isley Brothers ever did "I heard it through the grapevine"? Sharon Davis in her book "Motown the history" at page 56 states that it had been done by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight & the Pips. But she also says it was previously done by the Isley Brothers as well. Somebody must know. Could you please help me. Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest in town Mikey

On the 5 lp box set for the 10th anniversary (I think) of Motown there is an interview with Marvin, and I am sure he says he was the 6th artist at Motown to record the track. It still wasnt the first choice of Berry Gordy, but it was the one that struck a chord with the public.

I think you will find with many of the Motown songs, a bunch of artists were brought in to try the songs, and at later meetings it was decided who to release each song by. Which is why now there are so many 'other' versions cropping up as the archives are explored.

Social source share

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you going to the trouble of replying. We're pretty out of touch here in the antipodes. I'm very grateful. Johnniek@slingshot.co.nz

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert