Bernard Smith & Jokers Wild

Russ Vickers

Just wanted to let you all know that JM has for sale copies of Bernard Smith - Gotta Be Reason @ £25.

This is an unissued version that has an extra 20-30 seconds or so (which is worth hearing actually).

These have been pressed up legitmatly in VA, USA by a friend of mine. The cut has been lifted from the original session tapes.

I received my copy today & its belting with the added bonus of the previously unavailable instrumental version on the flip, whilst not a lover of instrumentals this stands up pretty well in its own right.

I spoke with the guy responsible for the press earlier today & its definitley limited to 250 copies with no chance of a repress. I beleive that JM has 25 & no other UK dealers have this.

Nice labels & great sound quality too.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's a pity that the original B-side wasn't kept on the reissue. It's a blinding version of the Showmen's 39-21-26 (whatever it's called), and is like "A Secret Of Mine" without the bass line.

Best to still look for the original on Groove for an excellet double-header.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

It's a pity that the original B-side wasn't kept on the reissue.  It's a blinding version of the Showmen's 39-21-26 (whatever it's called), and is like "A Secret Of Mine" without the bass line.

link

Too right, I actually prefer this side but then I have always been a big fan of the Showmen cut. There is some interesting information about Bernard Smith on the Louisianna soul CD that JM has for sale, as well as some information on the Deadbeats and an explanation as to why so many copies of No Second Chance have a big black X in marker pen on them. Also mentions their other record, which isn't as bad as they make out. Well, actually, it is pretty bad, but in the spirit of things I thought it was worth having for a laugh, including the instrumental Hearsin' Around. One of those tracks on the cusp of being good.

Social source share

I spoke with the guy responsible for the press earlier today & its definitley limited to 250 copies with no chance of a repress. I beleive that JM has 25 & no other UK dealers have this.

link

Just how many times has this been said of reissues that eventually flood the rare soul market??????? Is this also meant to imply that the remaining 225 copies are being distributed within the USA?

Call me cynical, but been there, heard that, and I don't think so..........

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

It's a pity that the original B-side wasn't kept on the reissue.  It's a blinding version of the Showmen's 39-21-26 (whatever it's called), and is like "A Secret Of Mine" without the bass line.

link

Nearly right Gene it's 39-21-46

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

There's a four track master from the original studio session still owned by one of the group.  Presume there are the two cuts of Gotta Be A Reason, the original flip and the instrumental on the master?

link

Isn't the longer version of Gotta Be A Reason on CD already anyway?

Social source share

It's on the Ol Virginia Soul release, not sure which version so will have to dig out and listen although sure it mentions in the notes the longer mix.

Sure it's on a Soul Supply/Goldmine release too  blush.gif

link

The version on the CD is the original version altho it mentions the other take.

This has not appeared on any CD.

Russ

Social source share

Why is a brand new record being sold for £25? Even when doing a low press run of 250 the price per 45 is not more than £2.50 at the very highest. £5 would be a good price, and then there's some 100% profit as well.

link

I know what these were sold to Jon for wholesale. Needless to say this was a fraction of what they are being sold on for. However if JM is selling them at this price & people are buying them then you cant blame him really.

Russ

Social source share

Just how many times has this been said of reissues that eventually flood the rare soul market???????  Is this also meant to imply that the remaining 225 copies are being distributed within the USA?

Call me cynical, but been there, heard that, and I don't think so..........

link

The press was 250. I spoke with the guy that did them & he will not be doing any more. No more will hit the UK until those 25 have sold thru JM. The owner is unsure what will happen with the others as yet, he's just waiting to see what happens with these.

Russ

Social source share

I've got a copy on GROOVE-504 that is totally shagged out. Probably my all time fav(at the moment). Top sound I must invest in a better copy

link

Let me know when you do, and If your shagged one's up for sale!!

BTW, thanx for putting me right on 39-21-46!!

Gene

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert