Gordy Label Question

Question for you motown nuts. On the Pink/ purlpe coloured Gordy label were the 1960's first pressing the "badge" type design and then repressed with the "arrow" design? Or does it mix up? This is all the releases pre 1970 (and Issues only not demos) Im talking about. Trying to settle a discussion on 45cat.

cheers

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Question for you motown nuts. On the Pink/ purlpe coloured Gordy label were the 1960's first pressing the "badge" type design and then repressed with the "arrow" design? Or does it mix up? This is all the releases pre 1970 (and Issues only not demos) Im talking about. Trying to settle a discussion on 45cat.

cheers

The arrows are probably later but not much later as some records are available with both designs - maybe it's according to where they were manufactured?

Social source share

between the East & West coasts?

the other thing we were wondering about is the possibly that motown repressed a large quantity and sold them here in late 80's/90's? somebody recalls seeing a trade ad from motown for it.

Edited by airfixkid
Social source share

between the East & West coasts?

the other thing we were wondering about is the possibly that motown repressed a large quantity and sold them here in late 80's/90's? somebody recalls seeing a trade ad from motown for it.

I doubt that as they had their own reissue label in the 80's, Motown Yesteryear

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

From 7001 to 7074 April1962 to August 1966 all on badge design, Gordy 7055 Temptations "beauty is only skin" deep was the first Gordy to carry the arrow design! but later numbers can be found with the badge the last number i have is 7081 "cloud nine" the ones from 7055 / 7081 are proving very hard to fill, i need about 6/7 can't remember without looking, i have seen a 7082 on a badge but not for sale, the hardest one (only seen two copys) is 7060 "festival time" also 7062 is not easy to find.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

it wasnt something i had really considered before now but when i checkd mine its so stands out!, i can only think it would be a pressing plant issue as the ones i see are from diff plants. i know motown used rca for so many copies of "come and get these memories", only 28000 copies, as i have the sales and order sheet from the motown buildings. it shows them being distibuted all over the states. they also used different recording plants as the stamps show but even that gets hard to explain, audio matrix, some have nashville maines stamps, ASG in scroll is another, bellsound is in some, but then check out motown 1008 the supremes and 1006 angel, these have all three.... bellsound, audio matrix and ASG in the r/o on the same record!!!!!!go figure. one of my badge copies has a symbol stamped that looks a bit like a bed similar to the stamp found on many verve records, howard guyton as an example. rca also did some of the soul labels too, 35078 shipped to texas by united record shipping co, but then my styrene copy has the number stamped from the biscuit and my vinyl copy has the stamp number and ASG in the r/o too........... me thinks berry has some explaining to do. On the hardest, i would have thought frankie kahr`l issue " DONT FAN THE FLAME" 35153 would be, took me 30 years to even see an issue NEVER MIND BUY IT! and i totaly agree about the later stuff, try finding most of the late seventies stuff! let meknow if you ever get to the bottome of this.

I PROBABLY ONLY ADDED TO YOUR DILEMMA!!!!!!!!!

P.S. CAN SOMEONE PM ME ON HOW TO ADD A SCAN TO FORUM, THE METHOD WAS SIMPLE BUT NOW..........HOW!!!!!!!!!

(THIS IS WHERE YOU TELL ME "CLICK ON THE ADD SCAN" BUTTON ISNT IT! )

Social source share

Many different pressing plants were involved,

I know that these are DEMOs but Stock Copies are also available from these pressing plants.

Gordy_G-7047a_DJ-1.jpgGordy_G-7047b_DJ-1.jpg East Coast - DEMO

Gordy_G-7047a_DJ.gifGordy_G-7047b_DJ.gif West Coast Monarch - DEMO

This is the Later "Arrow" Design

Gordy_G-7058a.gifGordy_G-7058b.gif

West Coast Monarch press did use the "Badge" Design for a longer period but did change to the "Arrow" Design

Gordy_G-7058a_S-1.jpgGordy_G-7058b_S-1.jpg

The following looks like a test run during transition between designs, I haven't seen another.

Gordy_G-7058A_.gifGordy_G-7058B_.gif

Steve has a copy of this nice Rarity only a couple of copies seen of "Festival Time" on a "West Coast" Badge Design.

Gordy_G-7060a_WC.jpgGordy_G-7060b_WC.jpg

Scan courtesy of Steve Johntson

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 29/03/2011 at 14:25, SteveJohnston said:

From 7001 to 7074 April1962 to August 1966 all on badge design, Gordy 7055 Temptations "beauty is only skin" deep was the first Gordy to carry the arrow design! but later numbers can be found with the badge the last number i have is 7081 "cloud nine" the ones from 7055 / 7081 are proving very hard to fill, i need about 6/7 can't remember without looking, i have seen a 7082 on a badge but not for sale, the hardest one (only seen two copys) is 7060 "festival time" also 7062 is not easy to find.

Steve J

where does this fit then 7015

No automatic alt text available.

Social source share

3 hours ago, kevinsoulman said:

where does this fit then 7015

No automatic alt text available.

Exactly. It's not only a matter of pressing plant with "left over" stock of previous logo pre-printed labels. Even if it must have been often the case. With this rarer later pressing of the Tempts it is definitely due to a "revival attempt" of the song somehow. I doubt because of a 'Beach Music/oldies' massive (could that ever be ???) sudden demand in the USA... Or another theory with the late November or December 1967 of the TMG issue in the UK doing a loop the other way around across the Atlanic hoping to cash on it better than the first time...

But there where other more common continuous re-releases for the "big hits" almost already considered "evergreen" in the mold a year after their original release as aforementioned. Then likely the odd last batch of "old" labels not to be wasted at the same pressing plant for the same release during the logo switch... Some Motown & Co. albums have the same with the new logo on the sleeve and the old logo on the label...

Social source share

14 hours ago, 45cellar said:

The typeface is set out for the Arrow Design.

I believe that they may have simply used the older Badge design to test the layout.

Gordy_G-7058A_.gifGordy_G-7058B_.gif

Yes , i can see it now , obvious once pointed out , must be quite rare that .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert