Shiny Beast Mail Order - Soul, Blues, R&b, Gospel And More

Guest Shiny Beast

Guest Shiny Beast

Hello!

We're a music mail order website specializing in many genres including soul, blues, R&B and gospel. Our catalogue currently counts more than 110.000 titles, with new ones added daily. Take a look at our website and you'll find lots of obscure gems, cult classics, and rare reissues on vinyl and CD. Shipping worldwide! 

https://www.shinybeast.nl
https://www.facebook.com/shinybeast.nl

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shiny Beast

New Arrivals!

I00381968.jpg

JACKSON, GEORGE - THE FAME SESSIONS 

One of the finest voices in Southern Soul, George Jackson's success as a writer meant he wasn't pushed as an artist and so his vinyl output is disappointingly small. This is rectified with this 12-track LP. It comprises ten tracks featured on Kent's George Jackson 'Fame' CD's, plus two previously unreleased tracks. Backed by either the classic Fame rhythm section of David Hood, Roger Hawkins, Barry Beckett and Jimmy Johnson, or by the Fame Gang, the tracks selected show George working through some of his most famous compositions as well as some lesser-known gems. The opening cut is his version of 'I'm Just A Prisoner' (made famous by Candi Staton), while further numbers were championed by Wilson Pickett, Clarence Carter and Spencer Wiggins. All are given a distinctive reading by their composer. Others such as the astounding 'I Bit Off More Than I Can Chew' languished in the vaults, unrecorded by anyone, a victim of Jackson's extraordinary work-rate. Two new songs, 'Add A Little Sunshine' and 'That From The Heart' keep the quality high. Released with the full co-operation of Fame Records, the music is from the original source tapes, and comes housed in a sleeve that features photos from the Fame archive. Tracklisting: SIDE ONE: 1. I'M JUST A PRISONER 2. I CAN'T LEAVE YOUR LOVE ALONE 3. LET THE BEST MAN WIN 4. ADD A LITTLE SUNSHINE 5. I BIT OFF MORE THAN I CAN CHEW 6. BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU. SIDE TWO: 1. DON'T COUNT ME OUT 2. DOUBLE LOVIN' 3. GREEDY OVER YOU 4. GET IT WHEN I WANT IT 5. SAVE ME 6. THAT FROM THE HEART.

JOHNSON, SYL - TOTAL EXPLOSION 

As this album's predecessors had Johnson vacillating between being a romantic and a wretch, 'Total Explosion'explores his unrepentant side with appealing results.

PHILLIPS, ESTHER - ALONE AGAIN, NATURALLY 

Reissued on vinyl, with reproduced artwork and labels. Recorded in late 1972, 'Alone Again Naturally' was the follow-up to Esther Phillips' Grammy nominated 'From A Whisper To A Scream'. For these sessions producer Creed Taylor assembled a stellar cast of musicians including George Benson, Maceo Parker, Eric Gale, Bernard Purdie, Ron Carter, Richard Tee and Billy Cobham. A great choice of repertoire and superb arrangements from Pee Wee Ellis and Don Sebesky melded perfectly with Esther's smoky vocals to produce one of the finest albums of her career.

Expected!

GENTLEMEN AND THEIR LADIES - PARTY TIME 
US import vinyl reissue of a classic 1974 underground soul-funk album, with reproduced artwork and labels. The album definitely lives up to its title, with excellent tracks s.a. 'Party Bump (Parts 1 & 2)', 'Now Generation', 'Party Strut' and 'One More Time (Parts 1 & 2)'. Produced by George Kerr, arranged by Bert Keyes.

GINA X PERFORMANCE - NICE MOVER 

Reissue of the quintessential 1978 debut album by Gina X Performance, featuring the charismatic Gina Kikoine. 'Nice Mover' has been an internationally regarded electro/disco record with various tracks appearing on compilations throughout the years (e.g. Andrew Weatherall's 'Nine O'Clock Drop'). The track 'No G.D.M.' (a tribute to a famous gay actor/writer/personality) was a club hit on both sides of the Atlantic and remains a commonly heard track on better DJ sets to this very day. It is made up of an infectious slow driving disco-esque beat with perfectly aligned and arranged synth accompaniments. Gina's unmistakable and truly unique vocals and lyrics set this record apart from its contemporaries. Edition of 1.000 hand numbered LP's, pressed on 'bone' coloured 180-gram vinyl. Includes bonus insert with liner notes and interview by KURT B. REIGHLEY.

MCGRIFF, JIMMY - IF YOU'RE READY COME GO WITH ME 

US import, reissue with reproduced artwork. A 1974 recording of the well known jazz-soul-funk organ player. Produced by Sonny Lester, this set features tunes s.a. 'Dig On It', 'The Bird', 'Ain't It Funky Now', 'Jumpin' The Blues', 'Super Funk', a.m.m.

MCGRIFF, JIMMY -& JUNIOR PARKER- - GOOD THINGS DON'T HAPPEN EVERYDAY 
Vinyl reissue with reproduced artwork and labels. Originally on the Groove Merchant imprint, this 1972 album showcases the tasty fruits of their noteworthy collaboration. Produced by Sonny Lester.

SYLVERS - SYLVERS 

Exact repro vinyl reissue of the first LP (1972) by the popular US family soul-funk-disco unit. A totally enjoyable serving!

Edited by Shiny Beast
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS

I00381744.jpg

MARVELETTES - PLEASE MR. POSTMAN 
The Marvelettes' debut album from 1961 was the sixth release on Motown and the first big success for the company after the Miracles. Released too early to picture four African American schoolmates on the cover (which did not become customary before late 1962), Please Mr. Postman was released on the wave of the popular success of the albums title track, the first Motown number-one single and one of the first recorded by an all girl group. Despite their early success, the group was eclipsed in popularity by long-term opponents the Supremes, with whom they shared an intense rivalry that caused the girls mental breakdowns and illnesses of all kinds, until their definitive disbanding. The Marvelettes were Motown's first successful girl group as well as the most underrated: while the Supremes and the Vandellas have been in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since the late 80's, the Marvelettes nomination for induction just arrived in 2012. Tracks: SIDE A: 1. Angel 2. I Want a Guy 3. Please Mr. Postman 4. So Long Baby 5. I Know How It Feels. SIDE B: 1. Way Over There 2. Happy Days 3. You Don't Want Me No More 4. All The Love I Got 5. Whisper 6. I Apologize.

REDDING, OTIS - LONELY & BLUE: DEEPEST SOUL OF OTIS REDDING 

Special LP-edition on blue vinyl. A stunning album combining the soul legend's most poignant and heartbreaking ballads, including 'I've Been Loving You Too Long', 'These Arms of Mine', 'My Lover's Prayer', and more!

I00381743.jpg

SUPREMES - MEET THE SUPREMES 

The debut album by Diana Ross' Supremes originally came out in late 1962, right after Motown's boss Berry Gordy signed them and changed their name (the group was previously referred to as 'The Primettes') and immediately before Barbara Martin left the band (which cost her being cut from the legendary "3 on the barstools" cover, and the loss of any royalties from the album). Mainly a collection of their early singles, "Meet The Supremes" features pure soul gems like "I Want A Guy", "Buttered Popcorn", "(He's) Seventeen" and many more little classics recorded by this quartet of seventeen year-olds who, although still far from the international star status they would soon achieve, helped pave the road to the definition of the classic "Motown Sound". A must-have in any soul music collection! Tracks: SIDE A: 1. Your Heart Belongs To Me 2. Who's Loving You 3. Baby Don't Go 4. Buttered Popcorn 5. I Want A Guy. SIDE B: 1. You Bring Back Memories 2. The Boy That Got Away 3. Play A Sad Song 4. Never Again 5. (He's) Seventeen.

I00381745.jpg

TURNER, IKE & TINA - THE SOUL OF IKE & TINA TURNER 

Well-known for her trademark legs, throaty voice, and boundless stage energy, Tina Turner was one of the sexiest and most popular international performers of the 20th century. Ike Turner, a well established seminal figure in the early years of rock & roll as both a performer and talent scout, met her one night in St. Louis while he was performing with his "Kings Of Rhythm": she just grabbed the microphone and sang a B.B. King song, impressing Ike so immediately and overwhelmingly that he asked her to perform regularly with them. The rest is history: Ike's slick managing skills and songwriting, along with Tina's intensely energetic lead voice, three back-up 'Ikettes' and a technically airtight eight-piece band produced a combination of country blues, rock and roll, ghetto rhythm and gospel passion that created a legend lasting 50 years. "It's Gonna Work Out Fine," "I Pity the Fool," "I Idolize You," and "Tra La La La La" are just some of the R&B gems included in their 1960 astonishing debut album. Tracks: SIDE A: 1 I'm Jealous, 2. I Idolize You 3. If 4. Letter From Tina 5. You Can't Love Two 6. I Had A Notion. SIDE B: 1.A Fool In Love 2. Sleepless 3. Chances Are 4. You Can't Blame Me 5. You're My Baby 6. The Way You Love Me.

EXPECTED

GUAYABERAS NEGRAS - CANTADORIC ISLAND 

With two old school funk and blues based drummers playing at the same time (Antonio Alvarez Bordeu -Aka "Pax"- and Cristian Concha -Aka "Chiloé"-), this soul-funk-jazz ensemble gets together to do an exercise of creating a special texture for groovin' and swingin', looking for more space, power and freshness adding some rock into the genre. The 45 starts with the afro-psychedelic-beat composition "Marcellus Wallace Doesn't Live Here, Anymore" and is completed with the sweet dancing funk-boogaloo "I Got My Own Brew" on the B-side. Tracks: Side A "Marcellus Wallace Doesn't Live Here, Anymore" Side B "I Got My Own Brew!".

HINES, ERNIE/THE BLACKBYRDS - OUR GENERATION/ROCK CREEK PARK 
Legendary sides that need no introduction here. Whether DJ, crate-digger, vinyl junkie or simply one of the coolest hipsters on the planet, here's your chance to snap these beauties up on 45.

I00384379.jpg

GAYE, MARVIN - THE SOULFUL MOODS OF... 
The very first album by one the greatest and most influential singers in the fields of Soul and R&B came out in 1961 on the Motown label and sees Marvin singing, playing drums, and piano on an album of mainly rearranged jazz and pop standards, inspired by his passion for Nat King Cole and Ray Charles. Though this is not Gaye with a fully developed style, and it is hardly the innovative legend of Let's Get It On or What's Going On but this is still top notch jazzy-soul that reveals traces of what would soon become a legend. The studio musicians come up with nice arrangements of the material, sometimes even with hints of the punch they would bring to his later, chart-topping material. Though a little before Marvin got his 'groove on', this is still the first of four albums of jazz covers he recorded and and an important overlook on the early days of the Motown-sound.

I00384539.jpg

SWAMP DOGG - (COL) TOTAL DESTRUCTION TO YOUR MIND (2LP) 
The eccentric, idiosyncratic, and always entertaining SWAMP DOGG (born in Virginia as Jerry Williams) is one of the most unique characters in soul-history. This amazing double-LP is the first ever vinyl reissue of his 1970 solo-debut, 'Total Destruction To Your Mind'. It has been called "one of the most gloriously gonzo soul recordings of all time".

I00384537.jpg

SWAMP DOGG - RAT ON! (COL) 

The eccentric, idiosyncratic, and always entertaining SWAMP DOGG (born in Virginia as Jerry Williams) is one of the most unique characters in soul-history. This is the first ever vinyl reissue of his 1971 sophomore solo-album, 'Rat On!'. Presented with some of the most notorious (or simply worst) artwork of the era, the album offers vocals reminding of Chairmen Of The Board, Van Morrison (early Them-days) and Sly Stone. Swamp Dogg's infectious songwriting showcases his huge talent, while the lyrics investigate controversial topics with a refreshing sense of humor.

I00384378.jpg

WELLS, MARY - BYE BYE BABY 

Released in August 1961, Mary Wells' debut album was the very first LP on the legendary Motown label. To hear Mary Wells rich-throated belting of the lyrics on "Bye Bye Baby" is a reminder of the even greater artistic career that might have been had not Motown mogul Barry Gordy and producer Smokey Robinson opted to soften and commercialize Wells' sound. The raw power in Wells' voice is evident much more so than on her later and better-known hits. While the song is entirely secular and romantic in its R&B riffs, Wells' gospel choir training is amply evident. It's more reminiscent of the type of recordings for which Aretha Franklin would later become known for than of the smooth pop sound prominent on most of Wells' other hits. Not only an incredibily underrated R&B album, filled with a quantity of killer dancefloor-fillers, but an important insight to an artist and his record company both taking their first steps toward what would be the eventual enduring legacy of each. Tracks: SIDE A: 1. Come To Me 2. I Don't Want To Take A Chance 3. Bye Bye Baby 4. Shop Around 5. I Love The Way You Love. SIDE B: 1. I'm Gonna Stay 2. Let the Conscience Be Your Guide 3. Bad Boy 4. I'm So Sorry 5. Please Forgive Me.

Social source share

Guest Shiny Beast

This is an incredible anthology of Apple And Three Oranges' five 45rpm records, issued on Stage Music, Stanson and Sagittarius Records in the early '70s. Classic underground funk and soul from LA, under the influence of Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield and James Brown! Double-LP edition.

A knock out punch of vintage James Brown in concert, captured on this epic, limited edition 12" vinyl, featuring live performances of 'Papa's Got A Brand New Bag', 'I Got You (I Feel Good)', 'Get On The Good Foot', 'Sex Machine', 'Cold Sweat' and more! Pressed on 180 gram vinyl!

MCGRIFF, JIMMY - IF YOU'RE READY COME GO WITH ME 
US import, reissue with reproduced artwork. A 1974 recording of the well known jazz-soul-funk organ player. Produced by Sonny Lester, this set features tunes s.a. 'Dig On It', 'The Bird', 'Ain't It Funky Now', 'Jumpin' The Blues', 'Super Funk', a.m.m.

MCGRIFF, JIMMY -& JUNIOR PARKER- - GOOD THINGS DON'T HAPPEN EVERYDAY 
Vinyl reissue with reproduced artwork and labels. Originally on the Groove Merchant imprint, this 1972 album showcases the tasty fruits of their noteworthy collaboration. Produced by Sonny Lester.

SAM & DAVE - HOLD ON I'M COMING (180GR) 

Still available. LP reissue on 180 gram vinyl of their 1966 album. Includes reproduced artwork and labels.

I00383513.jpg

STARK REALITY - ACTING, THINKING, FEELING (6LP+7") 

"One of the most prized funk artifacts of all time, Stark's project allies Hendrix-stoned guitars, heavily-fuzzed vibraphone and Bitches Brew rhythms."-Mojo Magazine. "The music of the Stark Reality is as playful as it is wild... as fantastic as it is frazzled."-Rolling Stone.

I00384539.jpg

SWAMP DOGG - (COL) TOTAL DESTRUCTION TO YOUR MIND (2LP) 
The eccentric, idiosyncratic, and always entertaining SWAMP DOGG (born in Virginia as Jerry Williams) is one of the most unique characters in soul-history. This amazing double-LP is the first ever vinyl reissue of his 1970 solo-debut, 'Total Destruction To Your Mind'. It has been called "one of the most gloriously gonzo soul recordings of all time".

I00382113.jpg

SWAMP DOGG - RAT ON! (BLACK) 

The eccentric, idiosyncratic, and always entertaining SWAMP DOGG (born in Virginia as Jerry Williams) is one of the most unique characters in soul-history. This is the first ever vinyl reissue of his 1971 sophomore solo-album, 'Rat On!'. Presented with some of the most notorious (or simply worst) artwork of the era, the album offers vocals reminding of Chairmen Of The Board, Van Morrison (early Them-days) and Sly Stone. Swamp Dogg's infectious songwriting showcases his huge talent, while the lyrics investigate controversial topics with a refreshing sense of humor.

SYLVERS - SYLVERS 
Exact repro vinyl reissue of the first LP (1972) by the popular US family soul-funk-disco unit. A totally enjoyable serving!

I00382907.jpg

This Boogie Chillen 2LP limited edition release selects 24 dancefloor-friendly highlights from the great companion 3CD set, the most enlightening and informative mod collection yet to see issue, not only providing a fascinating history lesson, but also delivering a compelling 3 hours of great music. This vinyl edition ranges from the elemental electric blues of John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf to the Latin grooves of Ray Barretto, via the New Orleans R&B of Huey Smith and the club soul sounds of James Brown and Ike & Tina Turner. It is this variety of styles that sets Boogie Chillen apart from other mod compilations: the early mod scene embraced all forms of popular music - as long as it satisfied the discerning early mods taste for cool grooves and rocking rhythms. SIDE 1: 1 John Lee Hooker - Walkin' The Boogie (aka Boogie Chillen) 2 Jimmy Reed - Big Boss Man 3 Buster Brown - Fannie Mae 4 Wilbert Harrison - Let's Stick Together 5 Howlin' Wolf - Tell Me 6 Lazy Lester - I'm A Lover Not A Fighter. SIDE 2: 1 Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love? 2 Jackie Wilson - Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want To Meet) 3 Huey "Piano" Smith & The Clowns - Don't You Just Know It 4 Thurston Harris - Little Bitty Pretty One 5 Gary US Bonds (as US Bonds) - Quarter To Three 6 The Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive. SIDE 3: 1 James Brown & The Famous Flames - Night Train 2 Richie Barrett - Some Other Guy 3 Rosco Gordon - Just A Little Bit 4 Don Gardner & Dee Dee Ford - I Need Your Loving 5 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step 6 Don & Bob - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl. SIDE 4: 1 Ike & Tina Turner - It's Gonna Work Out Fine 2 Lee Dorsey - Do-Re-Mi 3 Bill Blacks Combo - My Girl Josephine 4 Bob B Soxx & The Blue Jeans - Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah 5 Ray Barretto - El Watusi 6 Mel Torme - Comin' Home Baby.

NEW IN STOCK

I00381743.jpg

SUPREMES - MEET THE SUPREMES 
The debut album by Diana Ross' Supremes originally came out in late 1962, right after Motown's boss Berry Gordy signed them and changed their name (the group was previously referred to as 'The Primettes') and immediately before Barbara Martin left the band (which cost her being cut from the legendary "3 on the barstools" cover, and the loss of any royalties from the album). Mainly a collection of their early singles, "Meet The Supremes" features pure soul gems like "I Want A Guy", "Buttered Popcorn", "(He's) Seventeen" and many more little classics recorded by this quartet of seventeen year-olds who, although still far from the international star status they would soon achieve, helped pave the road to the definition of the classic "Motown Sound". A must-have in any soul music collection! Tracks: SIDE A: 1. Your Heart Belongs To Me 2. Who's Loving You 3. Baby Don't Go 4. Buttered Popcorn 5. I Want A Guy. SIDE B: 1. You Bring Back Memories 2. The Boy That Got Away 3. Play A Sad Song 4. Never Again 5. (He's) Seventeen.

EXPECTED

BLAKE, JAMES - OVERGROWN (2LP) 

James Blake's sophomore release, now available on double-LP.

I00384827.jpg

FINIS AFRICAE - A LAST DISCOVERY (2LP) 
'The Essential Collection 1984-2001'. Finis Africae. Words redolent of mystery and myth, of Europe looking out to new lands, new worlds, new times. And so it is with "A Last Discovery", the work of Spaniard Juan Alberto Arteche Guel and his musical co-adventurers, recorded between 1984 and 2001. After fifteen years of musical success in Spain with his band Nuestro Pequeno Mundo, Arteche was ready to experiment with new ideas, and with the purchase of a four-track reel-to-reel recorder he did so, exploring imaginary global music-worlds with a core of like-minded explorers. The group, dubbed "Finis Africae" by JAA after reading Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose", where the term refers to forbidden books and hidden knowledge, released seven recordings over an eighteen-year period, the best of which are compiled here. Finis Africae was part of the "new wave" of Spanish music which gradually emerged after the end of the Francoist regime. Using modern electric instruments and traditional acoustic instruments from many cultures blended together via studio alchemy, a magic which grew even stronger with the acquisition of a sixteen-track recorder after their second release, Finis Africae created an outward-looking musical multiverse, an unclassifiable amalgam encompassing elements of folk traditions from all over the world, skillfully and lovingly shaped into an inclusive pan-global whole. Deeply influenced by African music, the group's reverberant, organic minimal funk will appeal to DJs as well as all who yearn for the loving warmth that comes with the embrace of global possibilities. With liner notes in Spanish, English and Japanese by JAA, "A Last Discovery" is available on CD and double vinyl (with two bonus tracks). This is the first release by Finis Africae outside of their native Spain. Come take a retrospective journey of discovery. New worlds await.

I00384883.jpg

GAYE, MARVIN - MIDNIGHT LOVE 
180 gram audiophile pressing, coming with an insert. First album on the Columbia label after signing with CBS Records in March 1982 following his exit from Motown. The final album to be released in his lifetime before his death, it was his most successful album to date, selling over six million copies worldwide, and was nominated for a 1984 Grammy for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, spawning the two-time Grammy Award-winning smash, "Sexual Healing". It was ranked number 37 on the Rolling Stone list of the best albums of the 1980s decade and the NME named the album as its Album of the Year in 1983.

HELIOCENTRICS - 13 DEGREES OF REALITY (2LP) 

With '13 Degrees Of Reality', the Heliocentrics have returned to develop their epic vision of psychedelic funk, while exploring the possibilities created by their myriad influences Latin, African, and more. Thus, the electro-Latin fusion of 'Descarga Electronica' sits next to weeping strings piled atop 'Collateral Damages' chunky rhythms, which nearly misses the undulating swing of 'Wrecking Ball', a dirge as irresistibly funky as it is devastating. 

KARL, HECTOR -& THE MALCOUNS- - NGUNGA YETI FOFA 
Exclusive vinyl-only EP by the world-psych-funk ensemble, The original artwork is done by Kevin Lyons, screenprinted by AntiDesigns.

Another tight album by this highly ragarded soul act from Nashville.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shiny Beast

EXPECTED

MERIDIAN BROTHERS - NIEBLA MORADA (PURPLE HAZE) 
Meridian Brothers return with a brand new single that features an off-kilter, champeta version of Jimi Hendrix's classic track Purple Haze. Straddling the line between new and old, Meridian Brothers mischievous blend of Latin rhythms and psychedelic grooves is the creation of Eblis Alvarez one of the key figures of the experimental music scene in Bogota. In September 2012 Soundway Records released his album Desperanza that features Guaracha U.F.O, selected by Gilles Peterson as his #1 track of 2012. With Niebla Morada (Purple Haze) Eblis set about making a refrito, a Mexican way to reproduce the famous rock songs of the 60s for non-English speakers that spread throughout Latin America over the next decade. Using a champeta rhythm instead of the original, Meridian Brothers pull Purple Haze into a world of Peruvian influenced chicha guitar sounds, distorted vocals and electronics.

I00385373.jpg

THOMAS, IRMA - IN BETWEEN TEARS 

A lost classic that captures deep soul at its most poignant and resonant, couching Thomas' deeply affecting vocals in earthy arrangements that emphasize the singer's gospel roots. Trackinglist: 1. In Between Tears 2. Shell Never Be Your Wife 3. These Four Walls 4. What's So Wrong With You Loving Me 5. You're The Dog (I Do The Barking Myself) 6. Medley: coming from behind (monologue) 7. Wish Someone Would Care 8. Turn My World Around.

I00385688.jpg

WILSON, NANCY - THIS MOTHER'S DAUGHTER 

This Mother's Daughter remains the most soulful record cut by Nancy Wilson during her Capitol tenure -- producer Eugene McDaniels proves an inspired if surprising choice to helm the session, and his subtle but ingenious jazz-funk flourishes are essential to the project's immediacy and appeal. McDaniels couches Wilson in settings as smooth and rich as velvet, crafting a series of mellow, gently propulsive grooves that flirt with contemporary soul but pay heed to the singer's roots in jazz. Wilson responds with a performance that's sophisticated yet saucy, commanding the spotlight with an intensity that's missing from her lesser Capitol efforts. By Jason Ankeny/AMG.

Social source share

Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS

I00383304.jpg

CLIFTON, PAUL/BOYCE CUNNINGHAM - SHE WOBBLES WHEN SHE WALKS/TOO YOUNG 
Blues groovers will plump for the previously CD only tracks She Wobbles When She Walks by Paul Clifton and Boyce Cunninghams Too Young (CITY 029); vinyl DJs will dig having these to fill their floors.

I00383312.jpg

FARROW, MIKKI/SEPTEMBER JONES - SET MY HEART AT EASE/I'M COMING HOME 
The second release (PIPER 002) consists of two Detroit female soul standards; Mikki Farrow Set My Heart At Ease and September Jones I'm Coming Home that would cost a four figure sum should you need battered old vintage copies. Get them while they're still fresh.

GUAYABERAS NEGRAS - CANTADORIC ISLAND 
With two old school funk and blues based drummers playing at the same time (Antonio Alvarez Bordeu -Aka "Pax"- and Cristian Concha -Aka "Chiloé"-), this soul-funk-jazz ensemble gets together to do an exercise of creating a special texture for groovin' and swingin', looking for more space, power and freshness adding some rock into the genre. The 45 starts with the afro-psychedelic-beat composition "Marcellus Wallace Doesn't Live Here, Anymore" and is completed with the sweet dancing funk-boogaloo "I Got My Own Brew" on the B-side. Tracks: Side A "Marcellus Wallace Doesn't Live Here, Anymore" Side B "I Got My Own Brew!".

I00382228.jpg

MANN, CHICO - SAME OLD CLOWN EP 
Featuring the sultry vocals of New York based Kendra Morris, the slinky and catchy album version of Same Old Clown is joined here by deeper re-workings from USA DJ and re-edit king Kon (Kon & Amir, Nitetime), who provides both a vocal and dub remix as well as UK producer Linkwood, known in underground circles for his groundbreaking mix of future-boogie, house and detroit techno on Scotland's excellent Firecracker Recordings imprint. Guitarist with the band Antibalas, multi instrumentalist and guitarist, Chico Mann (AKA Marcos Garcia) has in the past worked with the likes of TV On The Radio, The Roots and Dam Funk as well as remixing Little Dragon and Alice Russell amongst others.

I00382697.jpg

GOMEZ, NICO -& HIS AFRO PERCUSSION INC.- - RITUAL 
Belgium, not the first place you'd think of when it comes to Latin or Afro funk. Yet one of the greatest records to blend both styles came from the small northern European country, masterminded by Nico Gomez and his Afro Percussion Inc. 'Ritual' was originally released in 1971 on the Dutch label Omega International (Gomez was born in Holland before moving to Belgium in the late '40s) and is being reissued by Mr Bongo in 2013, bringing its blazing funk grooves to both new ears and those already tuned in to this masterpieces legacy. Across its 11 tracks 'Ritual' delivers the kind of production, arrangement and musicianship that rightfully belong in a dictionary next to the definition of professional. Theb band Gomez lead was tight and they knew it, showing it off on their covers of Perez Prados' 'Caballo Negro' and 'Lupita' by injecting the originals with a deep funk that blends both Afro and Latin influences. On 'Samba De Una Nota So' and 'El Condor Pasa', another pair of covers, they switch to soulful downtempo with mesmerising ease. The title cut remains one of the album's highlights, a devastating dancefloor groove with horns to match that has aged beautifully and was heavily sampled by Liquid People for The Dragon. The track 'Pa! Pa! Pa! Pa!' adds touches of rock with fuzzy guitars for one of the album's headier experiences. 'Ritual' is a perfect example of the kind of experimentation that was rife in the '70s and which, when done as well as on this album, proves quite simply timeless.

I00383293.jpg

KARIM, TY - WEAR YOUR NATURAL BABY 
With the resurgence of vinyl, Kent has gone back to their extensive back catalogue and magicked up a sultry soul stomper of an LP from the revered Ty Karim. It features all her dancefloor favourites: from the exciting and super-rare 60s 45 You Just Don't Know to the smooth 70s soul floater Lighten Up and on to the hipper-than-hip call to Wear Your Natural, Baby. We can see she took to this message to heart, looking at our fabulous colour cover photo. There are a couple of slower soulful moments in the shape of the haunting big beat ballad All At Once and the unlikely, yet successful, cover of James Taylor's Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight. It is the first time on vinyl for the bluesy Don't Make Me Do Wrong and Ty's solo version of If I Can't Stop You (I Can Slow You Down) which will please Modern Soul DJs. Those guys will have the universally acclaimed Wear Your Natural, Baby on Romark or Kent but will they be able to resist this package? This album has been 48 years in the making and will be the first of a new series of Kent vinyl LPs. It will make a perfect companion piece to Timmion's Little Ann and O.C. Tolbert pressings and the cover is equally iconic. In thick cardboard sleeve and 180g coloured (green) vinyl.

EXPECTED

AM & SHAWN LEE - TWO TIMES 
A fine vinyl single from the LA/London based electro soul and retro futurists.

RUSSELL, ALICE - TO DUST 
UK soul vocalist Alice Russell follows up her 2008 album 'Pot Of Gold' with the impressive collection 'To Dust'.

I00385988.jpg

VARIOUS - SOUL CITY: DETROIT (2LP)

Double vinyl + colour insert collectors edition (500 copies) features 28 of the most sought after tracks from the 2CD, 60-track set. First in a series exploring 1960s Soul city by city, kicking off from none other than the great Motor City! Featured artists include the Falcons, the Contours, Mack Rice, Wilson Pickett, Marvin Gaye, the Marvelettes, Mary Wells, Martha & the Vandellas, the Supremes, and lesser-known names. Kicking off in Detroit, the Soul City series explores the music being produced in key centres in the early 1960s, when R&B was evolving into the style that was soon widely referred to as soul.
Edited by Shiny Beast
Social source share

Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS

ROCKETS (ITALY) - GALAXY: LIVE TERNI 1980 (2LP) 
Reissue of 1980 space disco album as double LP.

VARIOUS - R&B HIPSHAKERS, VOL. 1: TEACH ME TO MONKEY
First volume of the "R&B Hipshakers" series, featuring rockin' R&B and early soul. Available on LP for the first time. A special Record Store Day 2013 release. A compilation of tracks from 1956 to 1967 by essential artists such as Hank Ballard, Johnny Watson, The "5" Royales, Freddy King, Eugene Church. 20 terrific dance cuts selected by genre expert Mr Fine Wine, from WFMU's Downtown Soulville. Several titles reissued for the first time. Tracklisting: LP1: 01. Gibble, gobble - Willie Wright 02. Broadway - Hank Ballard 03. What makes you so cold - Lulu Reed 04. My nerves - Little Willie John 05. I don't know about you - Lloyd Nolan 06. Slummer the slum - The "5" Royales 07. Where you at Jack - Little Mummy 08. That's it man - The Valentines 09. Mind your own business - Eugene Church 10. Regardless - Charles Brown. LP2: 01. Here it is right here - El Pauling 02. One zippy zam - Roy Milton & His Orchestra 03. Texas oil - Freddy King 04. Mr astronaut - The Drivers 05. Your well ran dry - Carol Ford 06. Do the ginger snap - Little Bobby Moore 07. Mom, won't you teach me to monkey - Little Emmett Sutton 08. Uncle Willie's got a thing going on - Willie Dixon 09. Posin' - Johnny Watson 10. Hog killin' time - Eddie Kirk.

VARIOUS - R&B HIPSHAKERS, VOL. 2: SCRATCH THAT ITCH 
Tracklisting: LP1: 01. Marsanova - Hank Marr 02. Buggy ride - Rudy Ray Moore 03. Jail bird - El Pauling & Royal Abbit 04. Burnt toast and black coffee - Mike Pedicin 05. You have my blessings - Mary Johnson 06. The bossa nova Watusi twist - Freddy King 07. Whiz-a-shoo-pepi-dada - Amos Milburn 08. What's your name - Hank Ballard & His Midnighters 09. Puddentane - Lula Reed 10. I say, i love you - Johnny Watson. LP2: 01. Coralee - Titus Turner 02. Run baby - Carol Ford 03. Hear me now - Billy Lamont 04. What is this I see - Hank Ballard & The Midnighters 05. Scratch that itch - Elliott Shavers & His Blazers 06. Steam roller - Mickey Baker 07. Monkey tonight - Eddie Kirk 08. Fun fun - Lloyd Nolan 09. Our kind of love - Willie Dixon & The Big Wheels 10. Shout bamalama - Otis Redding.

I00382697.jpg

GOMEZ, NICO -& HIS AFRO PERCUSSION INC.- - RITUAL 
Belgium, not the first place you'd think of when it comes to Latin or Afro funk. Yet one of the greatest records to blend both styles came from the small northern European country, masterminded by Nico Gomez and his Afro Percussion Inc. 'Ritual' was originally released in 1971 on the Dutch label Omega International (Gomez was born in Holland before moving to Belgium in the late '40s) and is being reissued by Mr Bongo in 2013, bringing its blazing funk grooves to both new ears and those already tuned in to this masterpieces legacy. Across its 11 tracks 'Ritual' delivers the kind of production, arrangement and musicianship that rightfully belong in a dictionary next to the definition of professional. Theb band Gomez lead was tight and they knew it, showing it off on their covers of Perez Prados' 'Caballo Negro' and 'Lupita' by injecting the originals with a deep funk that blends both Afro and Latin influences. On 'Samba De Una Nota So' and 'El Condor Pasa', another pair of covers, they switch to soulful downtempo with mesmerising ease. The title cut remains one of the album's highlights, a devastating dancefloor groove with horns to match that has aged beautifully and was heavily sampled by Liquid People for The Dragon. The track 'Pa! Pa! Pa! Pa!' adds touches of rock with fuzzy guitars for one of the album's headier experiences. 'Ritual' is a perfect example of the kind of experimentation that was rife in the '70s and which, when done as well as on this album, proves quite simply timeless.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shiny Beast

I00384354.jpg

'A SURVEY OF RURAL RELIGIOUS BLACK MUSIC' - An intriguing collection of spiritual and gospel songs performed in informal non-church settings between 1965 and 1973. Most are guitar-accompanied and performed by active or former blues artists.

BROWN, SHIRLEY - WOMAN TO WOMAN 

This highly regarded soul singer sees a welcome reissue of her wonderful debut LP.

HAYES, ISAAC - GREATEST HIT SINGLES 
Hayes' greatest hits reissued on vinyl.

OTIS, SHUGGIE - INTRODUCING SHUGGIE OTIS 
Compilation featuring seminal tracks from this exceptional soul/r&b artist's works 'Here Comes Shuggie Otis' (1969), 'Freedom Flight' (1971) and 'Inspiration Information' (1974).

SANDE, EMELI - OUR VISION OF EVENTS (2LP) 

Double LP edition pressed on 180-gram vinyl. The celebrated album by the Scottish r&b/soul vocalist and songwriter.

VARIOUS - CRASH OF THUNDER! (KING FUNK!) (2LP) 
Double vinyl edition of an excellent soul, funk and r&b compilation, collecting singles sides from the vaults of the King, Federal and Deluxe labels. Featured artists include Wayne Cochran, Jeb Stuart, Lord Thunder, Mickey Murray, Frank Howard & The Continentals, James Duncan, Charles Spurling, Robert Moore, The Presidents, a.o.

BACK IN STOCK

BIG APPLE BAND/PINCH OF PERFECTION - SPLIT 7" 
Split single containing 2 ultra rare 1970 FUNK SOUL tracks. ' Partie & Get On Down" by BAB and on the other side 'All That's Left Is Memories' by PINK OF PERFECTION. Everybody is looking for the impossible: BAB on Sugar. Forget it! Here tis on PLUT from the master tape, along with the also obscuro Pinch of Perfection, again from the master. Funk crossover split with a sweet Soul dancer.

LEROY & THE FABULOUS ROCKING SOUL BAND - JUST LIVING AROUND/TILL END OF TIME 
Just Jiving Around was originally the "B" on the backside of Till The End Of Time. Drum roll please....Till...is a heavenly hark that witnesses Leroy & The F.R.S. Band proving that they could play the angel parts and still take care of the devils business. J.J.A. is a cushy cruise through a hive of funky activity that brings you the low down with a hi-fi/high fiving groove. Our PLUT release is from the master tape, recorded in Norfolk at Studio Center on July 13th, 1972. First out on James Gregorys own surnamed label, a.k.a. Mr. G, its not a thing that made it much beyond the areas Black neighborhoods. Tougher to find than the labels pricey Dream Team, these sweet and spicy sides are like the delicacy you hit in the midst of a big double decker. This center release really is the centerpiece of Gregory Records 5 singles. As far as personnel goes, details are sketchy: Leader Leroy Drummond was on bass; guitar was played by Patch. Listen closely to hear their names called. Gloria Bagwell was the female feature.

STONE LOVE/SYMBOLICS - STONE SPANADA/A TASTE OF YOUR LOVE 
Another 7 inch split 45 rpm from PLUT. Both sides come from the master tapes. Stone Love's "Stone Spanada" was released in 72, but next to nobody has a copy. This instrumental features wacky wah---wah and a whole lotta conga. This Spanada will make you go into a trance dance. Get next to somebody (special) with this one on the player. The flip side is a more of a sexy slow grinder. An unreleased gem from circa 75. The Symbolics were out on Plut a few years back with "Im Gonna Get You Back"/ "Conflict." "A Taste Of Your Love" has backing a track by SHAKE, previously called Raw Soul. Their strong musicical pulse has punch from the drums and some great Seventies synth sounds. And of course The Symbolics themselves have The Sound.

I00351074.jpg

YVONNE & YVETTE - THE SIAMESE TWINS 
Yvonne & Yvette spent many hard years as sideshow attractions, but were tapped by their church to go into the gospel field. These recordings were private pressings not made for public distribution, and include their raucous 60's pairing plus a sweet childhood chant and an unusual incantation by their mom, set to spook show organ grinding. Look for our Kicks Publishing Company scrapbook on the girls in the months to come! May they revel in posthumous glory always. Tracks include 'After It's All Over', He's Sweet I Know', 'Your Mother', 'We Are Workers For The Lord'.

Edited by Shiny Beast
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS

I00383316.jpg

NEWPORTS/SINNER STRONG - DIXIE WOMEN/DON'T KNOCK IT 
The R&B fraternity are still hungry for copies of the Newport's Dixie Women, issued on our first New Breed CD, and has developed into a staple of the scenes DJs. Surprisingly the wonderfully named Sinner Strong has not been represented on Ace yet so Don't Knock It puts that right and we can but ponder how she earned that name.

SCOTT-HERON, GIL/CESAR - LADY DAY AND JOHN COLTRANE/SEE-SAW AFFAIR 
If those 70s funkateers havent picked up a cherished original yet, the reissue of Gil Scott Heron's Lady Day And John Coltrane will fill them with glee and the much rarer See-Saw Affair by Cesar on the flip will raise an eyebrow or two (TOWN 147). This 45 celebrates our acquisition of the Flying Dutchman catalogue for BGP.

I00382914.jpg

STRACHAN, DONALD ALEXANDER -& THE FREEDOM ENSEMBLE - SOUL TRANSLATION: A SPIRITUAL SUITE 
Soul Jazz Records/Universal Sound are releasing "Soul Translation: A Spiritual Suite" a superb lost USA deep jazz independent private-press album originally self-published by Donald Alexander Strachan and the Freedom Ensemble on Triad Music Concepts in 1975. This great soulful/spiritual jazz album was the only album that Strachan released and consequently has become a rarity! It is a must for fans of Tribe, Strata-East and other conscious jazz from the 1970s and features in Gilles Peterson/Soul Jazz Records' Freedom, Rhythm and Sound book. Donald Alexander Strachan is composer, conductor, guitarist, vocalist and more leading a large 11-piece line-up that includes Jay Hoggard on vibes. Composer/writer/filmmaker Strachan studied in New York City in the 1970s composer/saxophonist Sam Rivers and Ghanaian Drum-master Abraham Adzenyah as well as avant-garde guitarist/composer Bruce Johnson all of who helped shape his unique sound. In the 1980s Strachan was a short spell writing music for artists on Def Jam Record before entering into the collaborative world of cinema by composing musical scores and has been involved in cinema ever since both musically, as a scriptwriter and director. Donald Alexander Strachan and the Freedom Ensembles "Soul Translation: A Spiritual Suite" is a unique product of Strachans multicultural and African-American heritage and aesthetic - polyrhythmically complex and spiritually intense.

I00385630.jpg

JOHNSON, OTIS G. - EVERYTHING - GOD IS LOVE 78 
For outsider gospel visionary and Detroit native Otis G. Johnson, the Holy Ghost was in the machine...in this case a rhythm-equipped Hammond organ. Everything - God Is Love 78, a singular 1978 mid-fi document, features android percussion against chords of Otis's own invention, possessed by minor tonality and frequent bum notes. Lifting it further are extemporaneous vocal homilies to the rapture, love, and everything, plus occasional "other" voicings that scratch at the periphery of the mix. Homespun gospel rarely entered this dirgelike, intuitive space, nor did it commonly achieve such a spectral and captivating hymn to its darkest conventions.

EXPECTED

I00386833.jpg

BAKER, ANITA - RAPTURE 
Reissue on 180-gram audiophile vinyl. Her second album, originally released in 1986, became her breakout album, selling over 8 million copies worldwide (of which 5 million in the US, and earning her two Grammy Awards. The album's first track, 'Sweet Love', was a top 10 Billboard hit in addition to winning a Grammy Award. The music video for the track 'Same Ole Love' was filmed and recorded at Baker's Keyboard Lounge. In 1989, 'Rapture' was ranked #36 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s.

BROOKS, J.C. -& THE UPTOWN SOUND- - HOWL 
The raw soul of 2011's 'Want More' advances into new and exciting directions. With a taut minimalist blend of rock and R&B ably backing, J.C. BROOKS' ever-powerful delivery and brutally honest words, 'Howl' conjures up mystique while inducing hip-shaking sing-alongs. LP edition.

HUGHES, FRED - BABY BOY 
Exact replica vinyl reissue of a fine 1970 soul LP. The title track was a huge hit on the US R&B Charts.

JB'S - GROOVE MACHINE 
Reissue on vinyl of this 1979 LP by the former backing band of James Brown.

I00386835.jpg

OTIS, SHUGGIE - INTRODUCING 
Limited edition of 1.500 copies, with a download code. This compilation features seminal tracks from this exceptional soul/r&b artist's works 'Here Comes Shuggie Otis' (1969), 'Freedom Flight' (1971) and 'Inspiration Information' (1974).

I00386836.jpg

REDDING, OTIS - IN PERSON LIVE AT THE WHISKEY 
Reissue on 180-gram audiophile vinyl. This is a live album recorded at the Whisky a Go Go on Sunset Strip in Los Angeles, California in the Spring of 1966. It was originally released in 1968. The recording was made before Otis Redding attained crossover fame at the Monterey Pop Festival.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shiny Beast

NEW IN STOCK

I00385514.jpg

VARIOUS - BALTIC SOUL WEEKENDER, VOL. 4 
Like every year the Baltic Soul compilation is packed with Hi -Class tunes. Those of you lucky dawgs who could make it to the festival will be able to reminisce about it while listening to this fine compilation. Those unlucky dawgs who could not make it will be able to catch a glimpse of that one-of-a-kind Baltic Soul festival feeling. This year, artists like Curtis Mayfield, Teddy Pendergrass, Billy Ocean, Leroy Hutson, Lucy Pearl and many more will give you that unique beach feeling... Play the CD, fill up your bathtub, fix yourself a nice drink, and if possible find someone that will aerate you with a palm leaf) and close your eyes.. the beach is right there. 15 preciously picked songs that will beam you into a soulful past!

I00385150.jpg

VARIOUS - BALTIC SOUL WEEKENDER, VOL. 5 
A total must-have for the upcoming summer as well as for those rainy days that need some brightening up... Tracklist: A01. Paris - I Choose You A02. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good A03. Raheem DeVaughn - Woman A04. Noel Gourdin - One Love A05. The OJays - Used Ta Be My Girl B01. Garland Green - I've Quit Running The Streets B02. Grey & Hanks - Dancin B03. The Trammps - Stop And Think (Alternate Mix) B04. Gene Chandler - Let Me Make Love To You B05. Lou Rawls - Lady Love.

I00387648.jpg

TT SYNDICATE - LAST NIGHT 
Debut of that mindblowing 7 piece soulish R'n'B Band. Newcomer of the year and booked for mostly all major rockin' festivals in 2013 like Hangar Rocking, High Rockabilly and Rhythm Riot. With members of 49 Special, Mean Devils and Thee Chargers.

BACK IN STOCK

I00368773.jpg

FILTHY SIX - GIRLFRIEND 

The Filthy Six are different from your average organ jazz band. Six jazz players who look to the blueprint of the late 60s organ and saxophone groups for inspiration and are confident and, perhaps more importantly, skillful enough to give us something more than a respectful pastiche. Led by trumpeter Nick Etwell, the band have recorded their second album for Acid Jazz Records quickly and with little fuss, and the single 'Girlfriend' is a prime example of a band excelling at what they're doing best.

I00369965.jpg

LEWIS, ANDY -& WESLEY DOYLE- - BEST OF DAYS 
Having had to delay the release of his third album proper due to a busy schedule with Paul Weller, Andy Lewis shortens the wait with this gem of a pop tune, recorded with Wesley Doyle on vocals, who shares Andy's Pimlico past. "Barney's Theme" on the b-side is an upbeat, easy-listening dancer, guaranteed to put a spring into anybody's step.

I00369966.jpg

MEN OF NORTH COUNTRY - MIRROR MAN 

Men Of North Country emerged from Tel Aviv's thriving soul scene, bringing with them a fresh approach to creating the perfect three-minute soul nugget. This re-invention of the famous number one hit single by electro-romantics The Human League is a mirror reflection of 1982 Sheffield chic meets polished 2012 cool. Released 21st May 2012, with equally catchy flip-side The North, Mirror Man is the first single from the MONC debut album.

I00375031.jpg

TAYLOR, JAMES -QUARTET- - BLOW UP 
Acid Jazz Silver Jubilee release, in 7" house bag. This version of the theme from Antonioni's classic mod film Blow Up is coupled with the Jazz standard One Mint Julep, both of which also feature on JTQ's debut album Mission Impossible. Side A: 1. Blow Up. Side B: 1. One Mint Julep.

WASHINGTON, GENO -& THE RAM JAM BAND- - HOLDING ON TO 
Geno Washington And The Ram Jam Band - a name synonymous with the handclappin', footstompin', funky butt live sound of sweaty mod Soho in '66. The tracks presented here date from early '68. They were recently rediscovered by Dave Tedstone on the original quarter inch tape and have never before been heard. Take in another genuine slice of RARE MOD history; as Geno himself said on hearing the tapes for the first time, "Hey, I never heard us sound so damn good!" Released as a limited edition 7" vinyl in an authentic sixties style sleeve A1. Holdin' On (With Both Hands) A2. Jumpin' Jack Flash B1. Michael The Lover B2. Hi Heel Sneakers

I00372271.jpg

MEN OF NORTH COUNTRY - NORTH 
Men Of North Country started by chance, when soul DJ Yashiv Cohen was overheard singing along to the tunes he was playing at one of his Tel Aviv Soul Club parties. With the encouragement and eventual collaboration of his musician friends he formed Israel's finest soul outfit. And whilst managing to they stay true to their beloved 60's Soul they also introduce a contemporary, fresh and personal twist!

Social source share

Guest Shiny Beast

NEW IN STOCK

I00384379.jpg

GAYE, MARVIN - THE SOULFUL MOODS OF... 
The very first album by one the greatest and most influential singers in the fields of Soul and R&B came out in 1961 on the Motown label and sees Marvin singing, playing drums, and piano on an album of mainly rearranged jazz and pop standards, inspired by his passion for Nat King Cole and Ray Charles. Though this is not Gaye with a fully developed style, and it is hardly the innovative legend of Let's Get It On or What's Going On but this is still top notch jazzy-soul that reveals traces of what would soon become a legend. The studio musicians come up with nice arrangements of the material, sometimes even with hints of the punch they would bring to his later, chart-topping material. Though a little before Marvin got his 'groove on', this is still the first of four albums of jazz covers he recorded and and an important overlook on the early days of the Motown-sound. Tracks: SIDE A: 1. (I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over 2. My Funny Valentine 3. Witchcraft 4. Easy Livin' 5. How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky). SIDE B: 1. Love For Sale 2. Always 3. How High The Moon 4. Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide 5. Never Let You Go (Sha Lu Bop) 6. You Don't Know What Love Is.

I00384378.jpg

WELLS, MARY - BYE BYE BABY 

Released in August 1961, Mary Wells' debut album was the very first LP on the legendary Motown label. To hear Mary Wells rich-throated belting of the lyrics on "Bye Bye Baby" is a reminder of the even greater artistic career that might have been had not Motown mogul Barry Gordy and producer Smokey Robinson opted to soften and commercialize Wells' sound. The raw power in Wells' voice is evident much more so than on her later and better-known hits. While the song is entirely secular and romantic in its R&B riffs, Wells' gospel choir training is amply evident. It's more reminiscent of the type of recordings for which Aretha Franklin would later become known for than of the smooth pop sound prominent on most of Wells' other hits. Not only an incredibily underrated R&B album, filled with a quantity of killer dancefloor-fillers, but an important insight to an artist and his record company both taking their first steps toward what would be the eventual enduring legacy of each. Tracks: SIDE A: 1. Come To Me 2. I Don't Want To Take A Chance 3. Bye Bye Baby 4. Shop Around 5. I Love The Way You Love. SIDE B: 1. I'm Gonna Stay 2. Let the Conscience Be Your Guide 3. Bad Boy 4. I'm So Sorry 5. Please Forgive Me.

EXPECTED

HUNTER, JAMES SIX - MINUTE BY MINUTE 

A horn-fueled blast of deep soul and R&B. LP with download.

Social source share

Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS

HINES, ERNIE/THE BLACKBYRDS - OUR GENERATION/ROCK CREEK PARK 
Legendary sides that need no introduction here. Whether DJ, crate-digger, vinyl junkie or simply one of the coolest hipsters on the planet, here's your chance to snap these beauties up on 45.

SCOTT-HERON, GIL - REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELVISED/HOME IS WHERE 

SMITH, LONNIE LISTON - EXPANSIONS/A CHANGE FOR PEACE 

OTIS, SHUGGIE - INTRODUCING SHUGGIE OTIS 

Compilation featuring seminal tracks from this exceptional soul/r&b artist's works 'Here Comes Shuggie Otis' (1969), 'Freedom Flight' (1971) and 'Inspiration Information' (1974).

EXPECTED

I00388050.jpg

DRAMATICS (USA/SOUL) - DRAMATICALLY YOURS 

US exact repro vinyl reissue of this superb vocal soul/r&b album, originally on Stax subsidiary Volt Records. The Dramatics had solidified their sound and personnel in the early '70s. L.J. Reynolds was now doing the leads, with Ron Banks' feathery falsetto and Willie Ford's booming baritone perfectly positioned at the top and bottom of the arrangements, and Reynolds and Lenny Mayes right in the center. The Dramatics were regulars on the R&B charts with singles pulled from this and other highly rated albums. 'Dramatically Yours' is full of top quality soul performances with an edge. Includes ace tracks s.a. 'You've Got Me Going Through A Thing', 'And I Panicked', 'Toast To The Fool' and the energetic final 'It's So Hard Trying To Get Over You' (also reccorded by The Dells).

I00388055.jpg

EXECUTIVE SUITE - EXECUTIVE SUITE 1 
Exact repro vinyl reissue of an underrated US soul LP from 1974. Recorded at the famous Sigma studio's and produced by an assortment of Philly's finest (incl. Norman Harris, Phil Hurtt and Bunny Sigler) this tasteful Philly soul-album was released by Polydor in 1974. The record contains some of the quartet's singles (1972's 'I'm A Winner Now', 'When The Fuel Runs Out', 'Your Love Is Paradise' and 'You Believed In Me') which were launched through a.o. Babylon Records and North Bay, companies that lacked the financial means to give these potent singles the attention they deserved. As a result these tunes didn't lead to chart success, though some of them managed to gain cult status in various club scenes. By the way, Executive Suite was the Philly group that Daryl Hall contributed vocals to on their first single ('Christine', for Jubilee Records) in 1970. The members were Vincent Unto, Henry Tuten, William Tyler, and Charles Conyers. Unto and Tyler previously sang with The Millionaires on Castle Records, Tyler also sang with The Jewels, and Conyer with The Lovenotes.

I00388136.jpg

RAW SPITT - RAW SPITT 

Charlie Whitehead, a.k.a. Raw Spitt, 1970 first full length, produced by Swamp Dogg for Canyon records, and a highly sought after collectors album of unconventional southern soul. New liner notes penned by Swamp Dogg.

I00388000.jpg

REDDING, OTIS - PAIN IN MY HEART 

A great 180-gram audiophile vinyl reissue of Otis' 1964 debut album. This LP includes four successful singles which were released in 1962 and 1963: 'These Arms of Mine', 'That's What My Heart Needs', 'Security' and the title track.

SHIRELLES - FOREVER 

A greatest hits compilation from legendary '60s girl group The Shirelles. Original recordings, remastered and pressed on 180 gram vinyl. Tracklisting: 01. Dedicated To The One I Love 02. I Met Him On A Sunday (Ronde-Ronde) 03. Tonight's The Night 04. Will You Love Me Tomorrow? 05. Boys 06. Mama Said 07. Blue Holiday 08. A Thing Of The Past 09. What A Sweet Thing That Was 10. Big John 11. Putty (In Your Hands) 12. Baby It's You 13. Soldier Boy 14. Welcome Home Baby 15. Stop The Music 16. It's Love That Really Counts 17. Everybody Loves A Lover 18. I Saw A Tear 19. My Willow Tree 20. You Don't Want My Love 21. Make The Night A Little Longer.

I00388001.jpg

WITHERS, BILL - MENAGERIE 

A 180-gram audiophile vinyl reissue of the sixth studio album by famous American R&B singer Bill Withers, originally released in 1977.

Edited by Shiny Beast
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS

I00388050.jpg

DRAMATICS (USA/SOUL) - DRAMATICALLY YOURS 
US exact repro vinyl reissue of this superb vocal soul/r&b album, originally on Stax subsidiary Volt Records. The Dramatics had solidified their sound and personnel in the early '70s. L.J. Reynolds was now doing the leads, with Ron Banks' feathery falsetto and Willie Ford's booming baritone perfectly positioned at the top and bottom of the arrangements, and Reynolds and Lenny Mayes right in the center. The Dramatics were regulars on the R&B charts with singles pulled from this and other highly rated albums. 'Dramatically Yours' is full of top quality soul performances with an edge. Includes ace tracks s.a. 'You've Got Me Going Through A Thing', 'And I Panicked', 'Toast To The Fool' and the energetic final 'It's So Hard Trying To Get Over You' (also reccorded by The Dells).

I00388055.jpg

EXECUTIVE SUITE - EXECUTIVE SUITE 1 

Exact repro vinyl reissue of an underrated US soul LP from 1974. Recorded at the famous Sigma studio's and produced by an assortment of Philly's finest (incl. Norman Harris, Phil Hurtt and Bunny Sigler) this tasteful Philly soul-album was released by Polydor in 1974. The record contains some of the quartet's singles (1972's 'I'm A Winner Now', 'When The Fuel Runs Out', 'Your Love Is Paradise' and 'You Believed In Me') which were launched through a.o. Babylon Records and North Bay, companies that lacked the financial means to give these potent singles the attention they deserved. As a result these tunes didn't lead to chart success, though some of them managed to gain cult status in various club scenes. By the way, Executive Suite was the Philly group that Daryl Hall contributed vocals to on their first single ('Christine', for Jubilee Records) in 1970. The members were Vincent Unto, Henry Tuten, William Tyler, and Charles Conyers. Unto and Tyler previously sang with The Millionaires on Castle Records, Tyler also sang with The Jewels, and Conyer with The Lovenotes.

I00387591.jpg

FABIANO ORCHESTRA - BUTTERFLY ISLAND 
Highly anticipated Superfly reissue of French West-Indies jazz fusion holy grail LP! Includes the rare groove classic 'Pointe Des Chateaux' and the deep tropical groovers 'Fo Ca Change' and 'Creole'! Once again, beautiful quality repress with paste on gatefold covers and 180grs vinyl, strictly limited to 1000 copies! Tracks: Side A: 01 Half Mon Bay 02 Fo Ca Chang 03 Creole 04 Rastaman Rock 05 West-Indian Meditation. Side B: 06 Butterfly Island 07 Fusion (Manhattan Pulse) 08 Pointe Des Chateaux.

I00334197.jpg

The talented brother of Betty Wright recorded this stunning album in 1975 for Miami's leading soul label Alston. There's a bit of Mizell Brothers, a bit of Stevie Wonder, some Mayfield, but still the warm, jazzy and soulful sound is unique. Exact repro vinyl reissue.

EXPECTED

HAWTHORNE, MAYER - WHERE DOES THIS DOOR GO (2LP) 

The 2013 album from the excellent soul slinger from Ann Arbor, MI.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Shiny Beast

NEW IN STOCK

I00390013.jpg

VARIOUS - BUTTSHAKERS!! SOUL PARTY, VOL. 10 
'Soul, Raw Funk, Rhythm n' Blues'. The tenth volume of this fantastic compilation series. No change, we mean it's the usual dancefloor stuff, you won't be disappointed! Tracks: 01 Rudy Tee & The Reno Bops - Talk About Soul 02 The Diamond Uprisers - New Kind Of Jerk 03 Bobby Jones - I Got A Habit Of Lovin' You 04 Little Oscar - The Message 05 Mad Dog & The Pups - Hep Squeeze 06 Wild Willie Wise - Soul Brother Number One 07 Father & Sons - Soul In Bowl 08 Doug Clark & The Nuts - Baby, Let Me Bang Your Box 09 Louis Jones & Bobby Scott Orchestra - Come On 10 Curtis Knight & The KC - Everybody Going Wild 11 Lloyd W. Williams - Be Mine Tonight 12 Jesse G. - Get In The Groove 13 Davis Jones & The Fenders - Boss With Hot Sauce 14 Jimmy Toliver - Who Do You Love.

I00390012.jpg

VARIOUS - BUTTSHAKERS!! SOUL PARTY, VOL. 9 

'Soul, Raw Funk, Rhythm n' Blues'. The ninth volume of this fantastic compilation series. No change, we mean it's the usual dancefloor stuff, you won't be disappointed! Tracks: 01 Little Hooks & The Kings - Jerk Train 02 Willie Spencer - Riding Shotgun 03 Milton Howard - I Am From Missouri 04 Tony Walter & His Eight Men Of Soul - Big Cadillac 05 Fabulous Playboys - Nervous 06 Sam & Kitty - Got Something Good 07 The Young Disciplones & Co. - Bang Bang Bang 08 Bobby James - Back To City 09 The Autographs - Do The Duck 10 R.T. & The Pot Lickers - Sticky Pig Feet 11 Elmer Packer & The Night Lighters - Back To New Orleans 12 Gene Waiters - Shake And Shingaling 13 Biggie Raitt - We Don't Need 13 Rodney Jones & Larry & The Hippies Band - Right On Right On.

EXPECTED

I00390294.jpg

BROWN, JAMES - FAMILY AFFAIR (2LP) 
SIDE A: 1. Funk On Ahh Roll 2. That Lucky Old Sun 3. Respect Me (First Respect Yourself) radio mix. SIDE B: 4. Respect Me (First Respect Yourself) club mix 5. God Is Good 6. Peace In The World. SIDE C: 7. I Wanna Be Loved On The "1" 8. Motivation Remix 9. Say It Again 10. Betcha Bottom Dollar. SIDE D: 11. Betcha Bottom Dollar (instrumental) 12. I Got To Feel It 13. All Weather Girl.

I00390295.jpg

BROWN, JAMES - SOUL SYNDROME 

SIDE A: 1. Rapp Payback 2. Mashed Potatoes. SIDE B: 3. Funky Men 4. Smokin' & Drinkin' 5. Stay With Me 6. Honky Tonk.

I00390369.jpg

CENTAURA - LAWDY, LAWDY, LAWD 

Warrior horse-woman of myth or chimerical beast of late 1970s funk? It is simply Centaura, available here for what amounts to the first time. For Atlanta hillbilly impresario Bob Riley, the "Spiral Series" of 12"s was part put-on, part hustle-but for Birmingham, Alabamas Centaura, that spiral-in logo appeared as a long-shot leg up. Their record's two-color, one-idea cover was mass-produced for Rileys envisioned run of potential releases. though nothing but the enigmatic Centaura ever filled the jacket-and just barely. Recorded in 1978, Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawd is a long-playing Golden Fleece of funk, disco, boogie, and deep post-Muscle Shoals balladry that wouldve surely failed to exist without Riley's extreme penny-pinching tactics in service of a failed marketing ploy so ludicrous, it kept the LP out of stores, relegated to extreme scarcity forever. On Side One, Jesse Daniel and Cedrich Rutledge trade energized beats and freaks, before the synth-washed slowdown of "One of a Kind." Side Two features Rileys two textbook funk cuts and album-ender "Just Dont Love You" - a mysterious tack-on of the Carbon Copies Git Down Inc.-issued 45, plus a heaving "Distant Lover" that sexes Marvin Gayes original into softcore porn territory.

I00390246.jpg

FINIS AFRICAE - EL SECRETO DE LAS 12 

'The Secret Of 12 O'Clock' is the second EM Records release by Spaniard Juan Alberto Arteche Guel's Finis Africae project. This release collects six pieces from three 1980s albums, pieces not released on 'A Last Discovery"' This latest collection captures Finis Africae in a more spiritual mode, organic and flowing, with some prominent drone textures, featuring a wide range of instruments including flutes, hand percussion, guitar, sax, keyboards and synths, combined with field recordings in a music which could be heard as a less-chilly and more organic parallel Fifth World to Jon Hassell's Fourth. The title track 'El Secreto De Las 12' is a Balearic chill-out classic, a firm favorite of Cafe Del Mar DJ Jose Padilla, who spun the track during his sunset sets on Ibiza. This track has circulated on cassettes for years, but now is available again on vinyl and CD. 'El Secreto' and the accompanying tracks are back, sure to appeal not only to chill-outers and nostalgic DJs, but also to the listeners of Balearic/techno/house DJs, deep organic-funk, experimental music, field recordings, African and world music. Secret no longer.

I00390373.jpg

FOUR MINTS - GENTLY DOWN YOUR STREAM 

Gently Down Your Stream marked a creative zenith within the Columbus, Ohio, soul scene, at the juncture of the 1960s and 70s. The Four Mints were one of the most influential local group harmony outfits of their era and-with assistance from Columbus doyen and Capsoul purveyor Bill Moss-among the few to release a full length LP. The roster of backing musicians hired to provide aural landscaping reads like a Midwest supergroup, with surprising appearances from Indianapolis-based vibraphonist Billy Wooten and drummer Bobby Allen of the Fabulous Originals from Dayton, Ohio. And though most of the material on 1973s Gently had been previously released as 45s, the collection-five singles and one priceless track saved from the scrap heap-gives witness to a world-class vocal quartet at its professional and intuitive peak. Tracklist: 1. You're My Desire (3:11) 2. Row My Boat (4:04) 3. Why Did I Go (3:17) 4. Do You Really Love Me (4:28) 5. Too Far Gone (2:06) 6. You'll Want To Come Back (2:30) 7. Keep On Loving You (3:27) 8. In a Rut (2:54) 9. Can't Get Strung Out (3:23) 10. They Were Wrong (4:39)

I00390368.jpg

ROKK - I WANT TO LIVE HIGH 

A debut album that never was, Rokk's I Want To Live High is that rare misshapen pearl clenched tightly between the shells of a music industry shucked long ago. Too soulful for its disco-era release date, the sextet's 1976 Tollie-issued 45 "Patience" (as featured in Eccentric Soul: Omnibus) tracked well in Rokk's hometown of Los Angeles, but was withdrawn before patience ran out with the spring rains of 1977. Tracked simultaneously was this entire shelved album full of Rokk's mid-tempo grooves, flute-lead funk, sultry female backing vocals, slap bass, chorus-drenched guitars, and lyrics about getting baked and eating baked apple pie. Jazzy, with plentiful slices of Broadway, Innervisions, and Rokk's own stoned brand of horn-rock, had I Want To Live High ever gotten so high as actual record store shelves circa late 1977, it wouldve surely sobered up to the commercial onslaught of saturday night disco juggernauts and the pummeling forces of earth, wind, and fire. Track Listing Side A 1. Patience 2. Youve Been Gone too Lon g 3. I Want To Live High 4. It Better Git Better Side B 1. Dont Be No F ool 2. From Within 3. Baby Please

I00390379.jpg

VARIOUS - ECCENTRIC SOUL: THE BANDIT LABEL (3LP) 
A story that could almost be fiction. The house passing as a home, the harem passing as a family, the rising star brutally murdered in his prime, the dream, the con: The end. Arrow Brown inhabited the same southside Chicago landscape as Afro-Noir author Iceberg Slims ghetto characters, taking inspiration from the same dark sources that shaded Airtight Willie, White Folks, and Blue Howard. Drawn to the underground and fancying himself a rogue entrepreneur, Brown and his Bandit label lived somewhere between money laundering outfit and sex cult. He poured proceeds from his many "daughters" straight jobs into making records by the Arrows, the Majestic Arrows, Johnny Davis, Linda Balentine, Hassan, Chosen Few, Sandy Cleveland, and even his seven-year-old son Altyrone Deno Brown. Putting beauty and genius in front of commercial viability, Arrow laid down lush, sweeping strings to lure the listener into a hipster fantasy world, sharply incongruent with the sometimes-criminal reality of the city that dreamt it. This triple LP reissue features every known song ever recorded by Brown, and includes a 14,000 word paperback novella detailing the twisted and beautiful fantasy world he created around himself. Track Listing: Side A 1. The Arrows - We Have Love 2. The Arrows - The Love I See Now 3. The Arrows - Boogedy Boogedy 4. The Arrows - Bring Back The One I Love 5. Johnny Davis - Youve Got To Crawl to Me 6. Sandy Cleveland - My Heart Will Never Lie 7. Sandy Cleveland - We Love Together Side B 8. Linda Ballentine - Youre A Habit Hard to Break 9. Linda Ballentine - Glad About That 10. Altyrone Deno Brown - Sweet Pea 11. Altyrone Deno Brown - If You Love Me 12. Chosen Few - Lift This Hurt 13. Chosen Few - Youve Been Unfair 14. Hassan - Ghetto King Side C 15. Majestic Arrows - One More Time Around 16. Majestic Arrows - Love Is All I Need 17. Majestic Arrows - Doing It For Us 18. Majestic Arrows - Going To Make A Time Machine 19. Majestic Arrows - Ladies And Wonderful Girls Side D 1. Majestic Arrows - Ill Never Cry For Another Boy 2. Majestic Arrows - We Love Together 3. Majestic Arrows - Another Day 4. Majestic Arrows - The Magic Of Your Love 5. Majestic Arrows - Going to Make A Time Machine (Instrumental) Side E 6. MASO - Poon Tang Thump 7. Altyrone Deno Brown - I Will Find You 8. Altyrone Deno Brown- The Eclipse of Love 9. Wind - Dont Let Them Tell You 10. Wind - People Side F Part 1 11. Rehearsal: One More Time Around 12. Rehearsal: Love Is All I Need 13. Rehearsal: If I Had A Little Lo ve 14. Rehearsal: Make Yourself Over 15. Rehearsal: Ill Never Cry For Another Boy Side F Part 2 16. Altyrone Deno Brown - Thought I Was A Playboy 17. Unknown - Come Back Home

I00390371.jpg

VARIOUS - ECCENTRIC SOUL: THE FORTE LABEL (2LP) 
In 1969, after three years as Soul Sister #1 to James Brown's touring entourage, Marva Whitney came home to Kansas City, putting Ellis Taylor's Forte label back at full fighting strength. Shed calmed aching crowds the day after MLK's death, and shed lived the life, despite its rigors-to pour out her pain and exuberance on Forte sides including "Ive Lived The Life" and "Daddy Dont Know About Sugar Bear," which made national rounds in 1972. By then, Forte had already done more than deliver Marvelous Marva to market. Taylor worked overtime at KPRS to bring the world The Rayons, whod stroll their girl group harmonies past Chicagos RCA studios on "Baby Be Good." In 68, The Four Darlings sauntered in with smoky-voiced soul operatics on the demanding "Give Me Love." Progressing in the middle 70s, Everyday People got "Super Black" on Forte's pine-green label. Still powering forward some 13 years on, Forte redawned with the 1980s, essaying disco funk with Sharon Revoal's "Reaching for Our Star." Numero 047 Eccentric Soul: The Forte Label charts Kansas City yeomans work, the Carpets and the Derbys, dapper clothiers mysteriously murdered, and marriages made and broken. In 28 LP tracks, plus a trove of promo headshots and every-hued label scans detailing all iterations of Fortes logo in print, this 16th Eccentric Soul sojourn hands over vivid floor shakers and lost dance craze records alike-though what moves "The Hen" required remains anyone's guess. Tracklisting: 1. Gene Williams - Dont Let Your Love Fade Away 2. Lee Harris - Im Gonna Get Your Thing 3. Tear Drops - Im Gonna Get You 4. Louis Chachere - The Hen Part I 5. The Fantasticks - Cry Night And Day 6. Marva W. Taylor - Ive Lived The Life 7. Mini, Mini Afro Twist - The Fabulous Rhythm Makers 8. Tony Ashley & The Delicates - Ill Never Be Satisfied 9. The Rayons - You Confuse Me Baby 10. The Four Darlings - Baby You Love Is Amazing 11. Lee Harris - Lookin Good 12. Marva Whitney - Daddy Dont Know About Sugar Bear 13. Gene Williams - Whatever You Do (Do It Good) 14. Everyday People - Is It Really That Bad 15. The Rayons - Baby Be Good 16. Tony Ashley & The Delicates - All Along Ive Loved You 17. Lee Harris - Ive Got To Have Somebodys Love 18. Everyday People - Super Black 19. Marva Whitney - With Fun In My Life 20. Sharon Revoal - Reaching For Our Star 21. Marva W. Taylor - Nothing Id Rather Be (Than Your Weakness) 22. The Four Darlings - Give Me Love (LP Only) 23. Unknown Artist - Dearest Lover (LP Only) 24. The Fantasticks - Live And Let Live (LP Only) 25. The Fabulous Rhythm Makers - Ya Gotta Be Doing It (LP Only) 26. Lee Harris - Skate Boogaloo and Karate Too (LP Only) 27. Tear Drops - Dont Fade Away (LP Only) 28. Marva Whitney & Ellis "Gripey" Taylor - We Need More (But Somebody Gotta Sacrifice) (LP Only)

I00390382.jpg

VARIOUS - KING BULLARD VERSION: SONGS OF THE BOS LABEL 

On Clevelands late 60's gospel scene, the BOS label was the refined, professional ying to Boddie's lo-fi yang, galloping to the fore bearing a torch for Curtis Mayfield's robe-wearing roots. Founded by gospel impresario James Bullard, BOS is the first chapter in story that includes stints producing major spiritual albums for the Birthright, Roadshow, and Word labels. BOS got its start inside Lester Johnson and Bill Branchs Way Out concern, running the devotional wing of Clevelands largest black-owned record company, and picking up a ton of Way Outs soulful flavor in the process. Compiled here are BOS's less traditional moments - 12 bridges between FM R&B and AM sermons from a time when those worlds were splitting apart. Track Listing Side A 1. Sensational Saints - The War Is Over 2. Trumplettes - My Life Will Be Sweeter 3. Mighty Imperials - Unity 4. Trumpelettes - Ive Been To The Top Of The Mountain 5. Mighty Imperials - We Need Him Now 6. Sensational Saint - Walk Through The Valley Side B 1. BOS Singers - Move Satan 2. Capitalaires - Glory, Glory 3. Southern Echoes - Why Am I Treated So Bad 4. Philip Brown The Friendly Seven - I Had A Talk 5. Trumpelettes - You Dont Know My Trouble 6. Southern Echoes - Burden Down

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest Shiny Beast

7 DAYS OF FUNK (SNOOP DOGG & DAM FUNK) - 7 DAYS OF FUNK 
The King of Modern Funk meets the smoked-out scion of G-Funk.

BAHAMA SOUL CLUB - THE CUBAN TAPES (+CD) 

Spanky Wilson, Bessie Smith, Ruthie Foster, Danay Suarez, Arema Arega, Telmary, Anna LucaDarker... deeper and a bit more mystic than what you probably would have expected from The Bahama Soul Club. Alluring tiki-blended jazz with Afro-Cuban rhythms and instrumentation, environmental sounds and lush romantic themes and not without a twinkled eye for the exotica genre. If you try to visualize a splendid jazzband in a Cuban night club in the mid-'60s, then you probably got it.

WITHERS, BILL - +JUSTMENTS 

Pressed on 180-gram audiophile vinyl, including an insert. A reissue of his fine 1974 album. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shiny Beast

EXPECTED - 2013.48

I00395279.jpg

HERSHEY, JEFF -& THE HEARTBEATS- - SANTA CLAUS IS A MONSTER 
It's that time of the year again and this year soul talent JEFF HERSHEY and his HEARTBEATS have a very special Christmas present for you: their brand new 7-inch with the spooky and revealing title 'Santa Claus Is A Monster'. This soulful rock'n'roll-gift is wrapped in a fantastically creepy cover-artwork by brilliant album-cover artist Merinuk, who is well-known through his artwork of countless famous '60s garage records.

CLAY, OTIS - TRYING TO LIVE MY LIFE WITHOUT YOU 

Reissue of the '73 album by the Memphis-based soul artist with a funky edge.

PLACEBO (BELGIUM) - 1973 

Legendary groovy funky-jazz fusion from Belgium 1973, led by the genious Marc Moulin. Gatefold cover, 500 copies only.

PLACEBO (BELGIUM) - BALL OF EYES 

Marc Moulin and his crew recorded definitely one of (if not) the best European groovy psychedelic jazz funk album. Originals go for hundreds of euros. Gatefold cover.

PLACEBO (BELGIUM) - PLACEBO 

Legendary groovy funky-jazz fusion from Belgium, led by the genious Marc Moulin. Gatefold cover, 500 copies only.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS - 2014.03

CRUMB, ROBERT -& JERRY ZOLTEN- - CHIMPIN' THE BLUES 

ROBERT CRUMB and JERRY ZOLTEN play 78 RPM records from their blues record collections and discuss ('Chimp') the music and record collector's nervous systems. They play records by Bobby Leecan, Eddie Head And Family, Macon Ed And Tampa Joe, Lottie Kimbrough, Joe Linthcombe, Cannon's Jug Stompers, Geeshie Wiley, Louis Lasky, and More. Cover by Crumb!

GREEN, AL - GREATEST HITS (USA) 

It's springtime again and you need a soundtrack for your spring evenings. Nothing beats AL GREEN when it's time to sip your Courvoisier on your white pleather couch, be it alone or with that special someone... Ten classic tracks from 1975. Try it. Satisfaction guaranteed.

I00395719.jpg

HAWKINS, SCREAMIN' JAY - WHAT THAT IS! 

Caught live in the act in 1969 at the Club Amigo in North Hollywood, this LP features Screamin' Jay Hawkins at his raw, unhinged best. Though recorded years after he first hit it big with 'I Put A Spell On You', his sound remained as guttural and urgent as ever. A rare and sought after LP in its original form, Barnyard is happy to make this available again on vinyl for the next generation of Hawkins fans. - Tracks Side A: 1. What That Is! 2. Feast Of The Mau Mau 3. Do You Really Love Me 4. Stone Crazy 5. I Love You 6. Constipation Blues Side B: 7. I'm Lonely 8. Thing Called Woman 9. Dig! 10. I'm Your Man 11. Ask Him 12. Reprise

I00395854.jpg

HAZE - HAZE 

Exact repro vinyl reissue of a strong soul/funk album from 1974, recorded by a group from Minneapolis featuring Robert Thomas. US import.

HEADHUNTERS - SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST (180GR) 

Reissued on 180-gram vinyl, this is a fine soul/funk album by the band led by Herbie Hancock. Comes with reproduced artwork and labels.

HOWELL, PEG LEG - THE LEGENDARY PEG LEG HOWELL 

A great reissue of ESSENTIAL BLUES HISTORY on 180-gram vinyl. PEG LEG HOWELL was a forgotten, impoverished blues artist when musicologist George Mitchell recorded him at age 75 in 1963. It is these recordings that make up 'The Legendary Peg Leg Howell' record, originally on Testament. But Peg Leg was actually part of the original wave of blues recording artists, recording for Columbia in 1926. His story is like many: when success proved illusive, he turned his back on music and settled for bootlegging and other types of work until rediscovered in the '60s. By then, he was old and fragile... qualities that translate beautifully on this quiet, haunting record.

I00395715.jpg

JOHN, LITTLE WILLIE - THE 'KING' SESSIONS 1958-1959 

During the period covered by this compilation, Little Willie John was moving into more orchestrated, pop-oriented material and arrangements than he'd used on his initial mid-'50s R&B hit singles for the King label. The change wasn't at all for the worse; he still put a lot of bluesy feeling into this form of blues-R&B-pop-rock & roll, getting his two biggest pop hits with 'Talk to Me, Talk to Me' and 'Spasms'. Though, it's not all orchestrated R&B-pop here, by any means: there are pretty hot jump blues, ballads, and more straightforward rock & roll on 'Leave My Kitten Alone,' which would be covered by the Beatles in 1964. An interesting transitional period from one of the greatest R&B singers of all-time, documented here on LP. Tracks Side A: 1. Talk To Me, Talk To Me 2. Spasms 3. You're A Sweetheart 4. Let's Rock While The Rockin's Good 5. Tell It Like It Is 6. Don't Be Ashamed To Call My Name 7. Why Don't You Haul Off And Love Me 8. All My Love Belongs To You. Side B: 9. I'll Carry Your Love Wherever You Go 10. No Regrets 11. Made For Me 12. No More In Life 13. Leave My Kitten Alone 14. Let Nobody Love You 15. Let Them Talk 16. Right There 17. My Love - Is

JOHNSON, ROBERT - KING OF THE DELTA BLUES SINGERS, VOL. 2 (NL) 

A set of classic delta blues, now remastered and available as an audiophile pressing on 180-gram vinyl. Comes with an insert. Robert Johnsons landmark recordings from 1936/37 have influenced a ton of musicians from later generations, including Jimi Hendrix, Peter Green and Eric Clapton to name but a few. However, Johnsons records hardly sold during his lifetime and he mostly played at street corners and juke joints. It took until the reissue of his recordings in 1961 on the LP King Of The Delta Blues Singers that his work reached a much broader audience.

I00395658.jpg

MCCLENNAN, TOMMY - THE BLUEBIRD RECORDINGS 1939-1942 (3LP BOX) 

Though Mississippi Delta blues guitarist and singer Tommy McClennan was only active for a brief three years, he left a powerful legacy on the world of blues and beyond, influencing the likes of John Fahey and Elmore James, with tracks being covered by everyone from Bob Dylan to Albert King, and Moon Mullican. Cutting sides for Bluebird between 1939-1942, McClennan's rough, slightly unhinged style made him one of the more unique voices in the Delta and he was the first to record the classic 'Cross Cut Saw Blues' along with the well known 'Shake 'Em On Down', 'Bottle It Up And Go', and dozens more. Doxy is pleased to present his complete recordings here in deluxe 3LP box set.

I00395928.jpg

MIRACLES - THE FABULOUS MIRACLES 

US import, exact repro vinyl reissue. 'The Fabulous Miracles' is a 1963 album by The Miracles, featuring the million-selling hit 'You've Really Got A Hold On Me', one of the group's most popular songs.

I00396035.jpg

NEW BIRTH - COMING TOGETHER 

US import, exact repro vinyl rissue. This is the 1972 album by the popular US soul-funk unit. Once again produced by mentor Harvey Fuqua, this was their third full length.

I00395840.jpg

SCOTT-HERON, GIL -& BRIAN JACKSON- - FROM SOUTH AFRICA TO SOUTH CAROLINA (180GR) 

USA import. Reissue on 180-gram vinyl, including reproduced artwork and labels. A highly rated album by vocalist and spoken-word poet Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson, originally released in 1976 on Arista Records.

I00395841.jpg

SCOTT-HERON, GIL -& BRIAN JACKSON- (MIDNIGHT BAND) - THE FIRST MINUTE OF A NEW DAY (180GR) 

USA import. Reissue on 180-gram vinyl of a classic Gil Scott-Heron album from 1975. Comes with reproduced artwork and labels.

SUGAR BILLY - SUPER DUPER LOVE 

Exact repro of this funky pre-disco album from 1975.

I00395560.jpg

VARIOUS - GOLDEN GROUPS, VOL. 56 

'The Best Of Norton Records, Vol. 1'. A next continuation of Relic Records' legendary 'Golden Groups' series. Here's Volume 56 with more vocal group jumps and ballads from the vaults of Norton! Tracks: A1 Delcos - Arabia A2 Velquins - Falling Star A3 Dreamtones - Jelly Bean A4 Del-Vues - My Confession A5 Cosmic Rays - Somebody's In Love A6 Dappers - I Bring Home The Bacon A7 Ban-Lons - I Like It A8 King Crooners - Lonely Nights A9 Saucers - Cha Wailey Routa B1 Supremes Four - I Lost My Job B2 Rhythm Heirs - Cradle Rock B3 Wisdoms - Lost In Dreams B4 Danny Zella & The Larados - You Made Me Blue B5 Mighty El Dukes - Frankenstein's Den B6 Five Gents - Sandy B7 Shades - Voodoo Woman B8 Dappers - My Sweet Baby.

I00395561.jpg

VARIOUS - GOLDEN GROUPS, VOL. 57 

'The Best Of Norton Records, Vol. 2'. A next continuation of Relic Records' legendary 'Golden Groups' series. Here's Volume 57 with more vocal group jumps and ballads from the vaults of Norton! Tracks: A1 Dappers - Baby You Know You're Wrong A2 Uptones - No More A3 Velvetones - Space Men A4 Mighty El Dukes - Walking Beside You A5 Cosmic Rays - Daddy's Gonna Tell You No Lie A6 Dappers - Good Lovin' A7 Senators - Loretta A8 B.W. & The Emeralds - I Need Your Love A9 Aqua-Nites - Carioca B1 Saucers - Hey Girl B2 Kac-Ties - Let Your Love Light Shine B3 Velquins - My Dear B4 Supremes - Margie B5 Wisdoms - Two Hearts Make One Love B6 Grand Prees - Jungle Fever B7 Gatorvettes - If It's Tonight B8 Dappers - Baby Stop Your Crying B9 Vels - Mysterious Teenage.

I00395885.jpg

WESLEY, FRED -& THE NEW JB'S- - BREAKIN' BREAD (120GR) 

US import, exact replica vinyl reissue. Originally released in 1974, this was the final Fred Wesley and the JB's album.

Edited by Shiny Beast
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Shiny Beast

EXPECTED - 2014.05

I00397259.jpg

BOOKER T. & THE MG'S - SOUL DRESSING (MONO) 
On 180-gram audiophile vinyl, this is a mono edition of their second album. Originally released in 1965. 

I00397199.jpg

DUPREE, NANCY -& THE GHETTO REALITY YOUNGSTERS- - GHETTO REALITY 

In 1969 Nancy Dupree was running an after school music program in Rochester, New York. She helped the kids in the program write songs that related to their own experiences and feelings. The results are presented on this LP, and they are really something else. There are black power anthems, odes to stealing candy, a beautiful tribute to James Brown and an even more beautiful tribute to Martin Luther King. Not a novelty record with kids being goofy but rather a heartfelt work of art. Nancy Dupree's piano sensitively accompanies the kids' singing. A real classic. The cover is a faux Folkways style wrap around print on an old school "tip on" jacket. Includes a liner note insert. A co-release with Moi J'Connais.

I00397237.jpg

JACKSON, CHUCK - I DON'T WANT TO CRY 

Growing up in Pittsburgh, Chuck Jackson witnessed first-hand the rise of the city's vibrant doo wop scene. Joining local heroes the Del Vikings, his smooth, commanding voice took the lead on their 1957 single 'Willette.' Going solo in 1959, Jackson was spotted by producer/Wand Records A&R man Luther Dixon while opening for Jackie Wilson at the Apollo Theater. With Dixon, Jackson co-wrote his first hit, 'I Don't Want to Cry.' The track featured a lavish band arrangement, a style Dixon had perfected during his sessions with the Shirelles. Together, Jackson and Dixon carefully crafted I Dont Want to Cry! (1961), Jackson's debut LP. A concept album dedicated to songs about crying, it finds Jackson covering mentor Wilson ('Lonely Teardrops') as well as an early Burt Bacharach-Hal David composition ('I Wake Up Crying'). Audibly in command, Jackson's vocals blend seamlessly with Dixons arrangements, resulting in an astonishingly accomplished album. Working from the original analog reels, Sundazed has mastered this landmark LP in the rare true stereo mix. Pressed at R.T.I. on lush 180 gram vinyl, every string swell, every horn phrase and, most importantly, every vocal performance comes through in "you are there" clarity. No collection is complete without this Brill Building classic!

I00397253.jpg

JACKSON, CHUCK - ON TOUR 

In the original liner notes for 'Chuck Jackson On Tour' (1964), Bob King describes Jackson "a man with pent up talent." Consequently, this LP is the sound of that talent erupting all over the stage of the famed Apollo Theater, the same venue where Jackson had been discovered a few years earlier. Jackson leads the airtight band through raw, sweat-soaked versions of his hits 'I Wake Up Crying' and 'Any Day Now,' giving the audience their money's worth and more. He also includes well-chosen covers, like Marvin Gaye's 'Stubborn Kind of Fellow,' Ben E. King's 'Stand by Me' and the King of the Apollo himself, James Brown's 'Please Please Please.' In a true testament to his ability, he makes each of these songs his own, infusing every line with deep emotion. If you only know him from his smoothly-orchestrated studio recordings, Chuck Jackson on Tour will give you an entirely new take on this legendary performer. Working from the original Wand analog reels, Sundazed has mastered this explosive album in the rare true stereo mix for an immersive listening experience. Pressed on gorgeous 180-gram vinyl.

I00397264.jpg

SAM & DAVE - I THANK YOU 

A 180-gram audiophile vinyl pressing. Reissue of their 1968 album, featuring songs written by Eddie Floyd, David Porter, Isaac Hayes, Deanie Parker, etc. 

VARIOUS - MUSCLE SHOALS O.S.T. (2LP) 

Onh vinyl, here's the music featured in the documentary about the Alabama town whose studios and session musicians revolutionized R&B in the sixties. Includes recordings from Etta James, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett...

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Shiny Beast

EXPECTED - 2014.10

DAVIS, WANDA - WHERE DID YOU SLEEP LAST NIGHT 
Legendary soul vocalist Wanda Davis is responsible for one of the holy grails in the world of soul collectors, the single 'Save Me', issued by Project Soul in '71. Now, more than 40 years later, Wanda returns to wax with the spooky 'Where Did You Sleep Last Night?', a century old murder ballad made famous by Leadbelly). Backed by the always rock steady grooves of the Secret Stash house band (a.k.a. THE LAKERS), it's immediately clear Ms. Davis' vocals haven't lost any of their power in the ensuing decades. If anything, she's upped the soulful sultry quotient tenfold!

BRADLEY, CHARLES - I HOPE YOU FIND THE GOOD LIFE 

RECORD STORE DAY 2014 RELEASE-FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE - The Screaming Eagle Of Soul is back with a DJ friendly 12-inch single, featuring two monster sides of soulful perfection. Dig this electric version of his hit single 'Victim Of Love' and the never before released psychedelic groover 'I Hope You Find (The Good Life)'. And what would a DJ single be without the instrumentals?!

I00398926.jpg

GAYE, MARVIN - THAT STUBBORN KINDA' FELLOW 

Marvin Gaye's second LP was a who's who of the Motor City, featuring background vocals from The Supremes, The Temptations, and The Vandellas, songwriting help from Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong, and the undeniable musicianship of The Funk Brothers. One of the earliest hits for Motown's Tamla label, 'That Stubborn Kinda' Fellow', was instrumental in establishing both Marvin Gaye and the Motor City Sound. A classic piece of Detroit R&B history reissued here on LP.

I00399022.jpg

JAMES, ETTA - ETTA JAMES (+CD/IT) 

After the huge success of her first two albums 'At Last!' and 'The Second Time Around', Etta James in 1962 suddenly became THE Queen of The Soul Music and this record, originally released on Argo Records, has shored up her fame paving the way to stardom. This edition contains 2 bonus tracks taken from the singles of that period. TRACKS: SIDE A: 1. Waiting For Charlie To Come Home 2. Guess Again 3. A Lover's Mourn 4. You Can Count On Me 5. If I Can't Have You Side B: 1. Something's Got A Hold On Me 2. My Dear 3. Nobody But You 4. Let Me Know 5. Spoonful

JONES, SHARON -& THE DAP-KINGS- - DAP-DIPPIN' 

REISSUED ON CLEAR BLUE VINYL FOR RECORD STORE DAY 2014-FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED! - Re-mastered from the original tapes and sporting an unreleased duet with LEE FIELDS (recorded during the original sessions).

KENT, AL - WHEN DID YOU STOP/I THINK I'LL DO SOME STEPPIN ON MY OWN 

RECORD STORE DAY 2014 RELEASE-FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED - Two previously unreleased D-I-S-C-O gems from the vaults, remixed by Glasgow's answer to Walter Gibbons, AL KENT.

MORALES, JOHN - M&M MIXES INNER LIFE 

RECORD STORE DAY 2014 RELEASE-FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED - Two special mixes of classic Salsoul gems, Inner Life's 'Ain't No Mountain' and on the flip the Salsoul Orchestra's 'Just The Right Size'.

I00398902.jpg

STAPLE SINGERS - SWING LOW 

The third Staple Singers LP reissued exactly as it was originally released in 1962! On offer are some of the Staples' finest songs, including 'I've Been Scorned', 'This May Be The Last Time', 'The Day Is Passed And Gone' and 'Two Wings'. Expect sparse arrangements with Pops Staples' stunning guitar work at the front, modest percussion and the angelic voices of the Staple Singers. One of the great masterpieces of gospel music. Presented in an old school "tip on" cover including two inserts (a small press photo and extensive liner notes by Opal Nations with archival photos). Co-released with Yeti Records.

I00398900.jpg

STAPLE SINGERS - UNCLOUDY DAY 

The first Staple Singers LP reissued at last! And exactly as it was released in 1959! This is some of the deepest, most intense music ever recorded. Pops Staples' tremolo guitar may very well be the purest sound ever to hit air. Mavis Staples' probably has the most emotionally pure voice ever recorded. Every song is arresting and marvelous. The arrangements are sparse, featuring just Pops' guitar, simple drums and the voices of the Staples. They arguably were the most influential gospel group of all time. This LP includes classics such as 'Uncloudy Day', 'I Had A Dream' and 'Going Away'. Presented in an old school "tip on" cover, including two inserts (a small frameable press photo and extensive liner notes by Opal Nations with archival photos). Co-released with Yeti Records.

I00398901.jpg

STAPLE SINGERS - WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN? 

The second Staple Singers LP reissued exactly as it was originally released in 1961. Included are the seminal version of 'Will The Circle Be Unbroken?', the intense 'Too Close' which was recorded live in a church', the uplifting 'Don't Knock', and the stunning 'Downward Road'. Sparse and perfect arrangements featuring Pops Staples' tremelo guitar, minimal percussion and the voices of the Staple Singers. A true masterpiece of gospel music presented in an old school "tip on" cover, including two inserts (a small press photo and extensive liner notes by Opal Nations with archival photos). Co-released with Yeti Records.

I00398925.jpg

TURNER, IKE & TINA - DYNAMITE! 

The second Ike & Tina Turner LP was comprised of 1961-1962 recordings made in the midst of their rigorous touring schedule along the fabled "chitlin' circuit" and in between club residencies in their home base of St. Louis. 'Dynamite!' features the Grammy-nominated, million selling single and all-time classic R&B track, 'It's Gonna Work Out Fine', but the hits don't stop there; 'Poor Fool', 'You Should've Treated Me Right', 'Tra La La La', and 'I Idolize You' were all chart hits. Absolutely guaranteed to fill the dance floor, Ike & Tina's 'Dynamite!' is probably their greatest LP and now it's back in print on vinyl!

TURNER, IKE & TINA - THE BEST OF 

A classic compilation, reissued on vinyl!

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest Shiny Beast

EXPECTED - 2014.27

SOUL/FUNK/GOSPEL/R&B/DISCO - Maxi Single

ART FINE - DARK SILENCE 

ART FINE was the duo of FABRICE BELLINI (electronics, vocals) and RUSH BLAKEMANN (guitar, synthesizer), based in Turin, Italy. They met in art school and became friends, inspired by new wave, dance and electronic music. Their only single 'Dark Silence' was recorded in November of 1984 and released by Discomagic in 1985. The vinyl is housed in the original jacket design, featuring a photo of the duo and the Art Fine logo in puzzle pieces. Each copy includes a double-sided postcard insert with lyrics and liner notes by Bellini.

HELEN - WITCH/ZANZIBAR 

A double A-side of the first two HELEN maxi-singles, 'Witch' and 'Zanzibar', as a four-song EP. Helen was an Italo disco studio project that consisted of various producers, songwriters and vocalists in the 1980s. All songs on this 12-inch have been remastered. The vinyl is housed in the original jacket from the 'Witch' maxi-single and includes a cool foldout poster.

RICHARD, PETER - WALKING IN THE NEON 

Reissue of an Italo Disco hit from 1985, pressed on an orange vinyl 12-inch platter. Two tracks, remastered.

SOUL/FUNK/GOSPEL/R&B/DISCO - LP (Album)

5 ROYALES - HARBINGERS OF SOUL 

This LP is pressed on 180-gram vinyl and has been lovingly designed and printed in 1960s UK style, with spot gloss and glued flaps in a limited edition of 500. SIDE 1: 1. King Classics 2. Think 3. Messin' Up 4. Dedicated To The One I Love 5. Tell The Truth 6. It Hurts Inside 7. When I Get Like This 8. Good Lookin' Womanm 9. Say It SIDE 2: 1. Soulful Sides 2. Don't Let It Be In Vain 3. I'm With You 4. Show Me 5. I Got To Know 6. Much In Need 7. Catch That Teardrop 8. What's In The Heart 9. Get Something Out Of It

ALLEN, RANCE - STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART 

The 1978 album by the fine American gospel singer.

JAMES, RICK - COLD BLOODED 

The 1983 full length from funk/soul musician Rick James on vinyl. James wrote the title track about his relationship with actress Linda Blair.

I00404114.jpg

LAU, LEONG - THAT RONGENG SOUND 

Until recently Leong Lau's records from the 1970s were well kept secrets of only the most avid Australian record freaks. Now collectors at last get a chance to add 'That Rongeng Sound' to their collection. Leong's unique Malay-jazz-meets-Aus-funk identity takes listeners on a journey through funky beats and flowing melodies, which is the reason the album is arguably one of the most innovative and exciting Australian funk/jazz albums. This reissue of the original 1977 LP is limited to 500 copies and comes in a high quality tip on gatefold, featuring original artwork and a brief biography on the enigma himself - Leong Lau.

I00403992.jpg

NEW BIRTH - BLIND BABY 

US import vinyl reissue with reproduced artwork and labels. 'Blind Baby' is a 1975 full-length from the highly rated vocal soul/funk-unit featuring (ex-)members of the Nite-Liters and Love, Peace & Happiness. This is one of their finest albums, with mellow -and at times psychedelic- vibes.

REVELATION (SOUL) - REVELATION 

US import. Exact repro vinyl reissue of a cool and 'modern' soul/boogie LP from 1980.

I00404000.jpg

SOFTONES - BLACK MAGIC 

US import, vinyl reissue with reproduced artwork and labels. This is a smooth soul offering from 1977. Fans of f.i. The Stylistics, Blue Magic and Delfonics will find much to enjoy here.

STAPLE SINGERS - BE WHAT YOU ARE 

US import. Exact repro vinyl reissue of the 1973 LP by the renowned gospel group.

I00404006.jpg

STYLISTICS - FABULOUS 

US import. Exact repro vinyl reissue of the 1976 LP by The Stylistics. Produced by Hugo & Luigi and arranged by a.o. Van McCoy, this is another set of smooth vocal soul in the Stylistics' beguiling trademark style.

SWITCH - AM I STILL YOUR BOYFRIEND? 

US import. Exact repro vinyl reissue of the sixth (and last) album by R&B outfit Switch, whose earlier line-ups included the DeBarge brothers and Philip Ingram. This LP ('84) was originally released by the Total Experience imprint. It was their only album that didn't appear on Motown subsiduary Gordy. Now on CD, expanded and remastered!

VANITY - WILD ANIMAL 

'Wild Animal' is the debut solo album by Canadian singer, songwriter, dancer, and actress Vanity, released on Motown Records in 1984.

Social source share

Guest Shiny Beast

NEW ARRIVALS - 2014.28

I00403641.jpg

FRIENDS OF DISTINCTION - LOVE CAN MAKE IT EASIER 
US import, vinyl reissue with reproduced artwok and labels. US vocal orientated group Friends Of Distinction emerged in the late '60s, making a name for themselves with flowerpower-soul that sounded like a more sophisticated version of the 5th Dimension. This is a pretty sweet LP from 1973, featuring material that's slightly more in a hip '70s soul vein. Expect great melodies and fine arrangements.

MASON, JAMES - RHYTHM OF LIFE 

US import. Exact repro vinyl reissue of this 1977 album from soul-funk musician James Mason.

Social source share

Source Advert