Northern Logo On Wall

Soulsmith

The Northern Soul Bar in Hoboken, New Jersey, USA?

Hoboken is just across the River Hudson from Manhattan (5 minute ferry ride or take the PATH train or a bus).

It's where Frank Sinista was born, where 'On The Waterfront' was filmed and where Greg Tormo lives.

A great place with a village atmosphere, yet you can jump on a bus and be in the Port Authority (Manhattan) in 5 minutes.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

A great place with a village atmosphere,

A very expensive village, with a very hipster attitude.

All too fab to be worth the effort nowadays

Sinistra couldn't afford to live there now.

Docks are long gone.

Greg's probably been there a long time so he probably has a deal, same with those who moved there 10 + years ago

It looks like a pint of Guinness? have these guys in the USA got it!!

Guinness yes, but it tastes weird, doesn't seem to travel or if they make it here the water's wrong.

Never bothered to inquire which.

Still drinkable if you let it warm up a bit so your fillings don't hurt

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A very expensive village, with a very hipster attitude.

All too fab to be worth the effort nowadays

Sinistra couldn't afford to live there now.

Docks are long gone.

Greg's probably been there a long time so he probably has a deal, same with those who moved there 10 + years ago

Guinness yes, but it tastes weird, doesn't seem to travel or if they make it here the water's wrong.

Never bothered to inquire which.

Still drinkable if you let it warm up a bit so your fillings don't hurt

that's too bad. used to take the PATH train over there in the 90s (i lived in brooklyn) to see hardcore bands in some dirty first street bars. saw Unwound and Clikitat Ikatowi there! good show. 

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

that's too bad. used to take the PATH train over there in the 90s (i lived in brooklyn) to see hardcore bands in some dirty first street bars. saw Unwound and Clikitat Ikatowi there! good show. 

Tis the fate of everywhere within a long spit of the city.

I wouldn't bet the whole ranch it couldn't happen now because I haven't been over for a while for the above reasons,

but sight unseen I'd bet all the cattle, most of the chickens and the bunkhouse.

Deffo weren't no grubbiness on 1st St last time I was there, and a cup of dishwater deli coffee cost me a buck and a half.

In the mid late 80's me and 4 or 5 bemused locals watched 3 Mustaphas 3 at Maxwells. Far too fab in there now for that sort of nonsense,

I'm not even sure they have bands in there anymore.

Social source share

i never saw/heard 3M3, but i remember people talking about them in wonder! like they were from another planet. 

At the time they were fairly out there, certainly not massive in Hoboken.

I have a feeling Maxwells has closed. Certainly Greg mentioned the last night on fb, but I'm not sure if it's shut for good or refurbishment.

No idea, but if I had to guess probably for a paint job.

If they were in danger of closing, Yo La Tengo et al would do at least a 6 month benefit / residency outside the landlord's office

to force them to reconsider.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!