THE JUNCTION 1971, Crewe, UK

Anyone remember UPTJ back in the day?  I celebrated my 21st before moving to the U.S. 2 days later--Still here!!  LOVED that place--so MANY, MANY Happy memories.  Good friends, good music, good drinks, and the list goes on and on!!  Miss my hometown from SO long ago.  Everything changes I suppose.  Been so long now, I cannot hardly remember the names of the good folks that used to accompany me--except Rosemary, my dearest and best friend who passed away 20 years ago--MISS YOU ROSIE!!

Social source share

Yes Linda....I do remember it...esp when it 'alternated' Allnighters with the 'Torch'........always a fave place of mine...great sounds....and a killa atmosphere.

There will be a few on here who have fond memories of the place I.m sure. Nice to know you still remember the 'old place' even from the US AND after all these years

Its a snooker/pool hall nowadays btw

Social source share

Was only talking about UPTJ this very weekend. I think it only did niters for a short while,before that it was Crewe,s regular nightclub.Saw people like The Fantastics,Slade,Fleetwood Mac,The Drifters etc,.Down to the Dirty Duck first then onto UPTJ.One summer,1970 or 71,Ithink,UPTJ ran a Disco Train from Crewe to Scarborough,seriously,disco and dancing in the parcel van,music piped to all the carriages,5 hours in Scarborough,music all the way back,then finished off at UPTJ for an hour or so! Think it was a Sunday,happy days indeed.

Social source share

Was living in Luton at the time,but from Yorkshire and use to go there at this time with a lad from Bletchley who had a mini at the time great lad called graham,use to give it some on the dance floor with a lad called pete Tisley now he was suit else great lad 

Social source share

my 1st allnighter

alan day djing with a tall blonde haired girl with a red beret dancing next to him all through his set. ist tune I heard was either little queenie bill black or sounds of lane tracks to my mind cant remember which order he played them in but they were my 1st nighter sounds I heard loved it there great atmosphere still got my membership card who else still has theres ?

cheers

sammy

Edited by sammy seaman
Social source share

Was living in Luton at the time,but from Yorkshire and use to go there at this time with a lad from Bletchley who had a mini at the time great lad called graham,use to give it some on the dance floor with a lad called pete Tisley now he was suit else great lad 

Do you mean Pete Tildesley from Stockport, a complete character.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

my 1st allnighter

alan day djing with a tall blonde haired girl with a red beret dancing next to him all through his set. ist tune I heard was either little queenie bill black or sounds of lane tracks to my mind cant remember which order he played them in but they were my 1st nighter sounds I heard loved it there great atmosphere still got my membership card who else still has theres ?

cheers

sammy

ok Sammy............still got my UTJ membership !!...........happy carefree days or wot

Sue Ollivant [Priestley]

Social source share

Do I remember the junction I sure do won a dance competition there one sat night Ok I do shuffle a bit but between me and you I think It was fixed. Ha ha. I was one of a Stoke crowd that frequented the place and I'm sure I saw Edwin Starr there on the very small stage. I still go there playing snooker and yes you can still make out the layout as It was then.It would be If It was to start up again which I very much doubt It, the only complete original set up surpassing the so called Wheel. Fond memories from a great venue It was the most under rated venue of It's time. Thanks Linda Gold for bringing this memory up.

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Hi. I remember Up the Junction, or UTJ, well. It was run by Ken Darville Smith, a good friend, and had all the top bands of the era 

I attended every All nighter and particularly remember the breakfast included. 

I later managed  the night club for a period in the early 70’s. Great times and sadly missed 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Fairly certain these are originally from Blues and Soul in 1972. Taken from a post put up by Keithw back in 2007 so my thanks to him.

As I said in my original post I think the August 5th all-nighter was the last one, unless anybody knows different.

Interesting that the only DJ named was Alan Day. Anybody know the names of any of the others?

Social source share

The first Torch all-nighter was March 11th, 1972.

I can't find a definitive date for the initial UTJ event, but I vaguely recall being aware of the venue before I'd heard of the Torch. Trawling through Blues and Soul from the era would probably provide an answer but my copies of that are long gone, unfortunately.

Social source share

On 18/09/2023 at 12:07, Torch56 said:

image.thumb.png.608d7e7d5232e294648c12256e9c0478.png

Those were the days when all-nighter meant all-nighter!  8.30pm Sat night til 8.30am Sunday morning!💥 Some of the so called all-nighters these days are finished by 4.00 in the morning!

Some great memories mentioned in these posts👍 I especially like to hear about which records were played. I couldn't go back then, as my paper round wouldn't have covered the expenses😊.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 19/08/2015 at 19:37, Crogger said:

Was only talking about UPTJ this very weekend. I think it only did niters for a short while,before that it was Crewe,s regular nightclub.Saw people like The Fantastics,Slade,Fleetwood Mac,The Drifters etc,.Down to the Dirty Duck first then onto UPTJ.One summer,1970 or 71,Ithink,UPTJ ran a Disco Train from Crewe to Scarborough,seriously,disco and dancing in the parcel van,music piped to all the carriages,5 hours in Scarborough,music all the way back,then finished off at UPTJ for an hour or so! Think it was a Sunday,happy days indeed.

They also did a Cisco train to London   Similar Djokovic in parcel van and on arrival at London went to a club then back to Crewe and finished off at UTJ. I think Nick Chandler was the DJ 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Geoff B said:

Still have my Membership card from about 1970. Can't quite remember but i think we went to  'Junction then caught last train to The Raven at Whitchurch, which i am sure closed early 2am ish and ended up spending rest of night on Whitchurch station.

thumbnail_IMG_0090.jpg

I remember them well. It had a fantastic following but isn’t really credited when people talk about all nighters and Northern Soul 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!