Keb Darge interview - 1983 breakthrough gig

Sunnysoul

Reading this interview with Keb  ...

https://www.dustandgrooves.com/keb-darge-london-uk

...  and he answers this question as follows:

"Question: When you play to the right audience is that your real moment of glory?

Keb's answer: 99% don’t know anything about it'[the music], and that’s more glory for me. No, it makes me more happy that people love this music. It makes me more happy than playing for 1000 people who are really into it. Here’s a story: I got into this warehouse in about 1983 and I got into this collection of a million records this guy had just bought and he was like: Ok I’m off to Jamaica for holiday for 3 weeks. The records had been tipped into the warehouse by two giant lorries and there were 3 giant dogs jumping all over them. The guy asked me if I went up there to look after the dogs and pay the builders because they were building a barn, and I’ll let you sort through the records and we’ll sort out what you want when I come back. So I went to this place and I’m like holy fucking shit. I came out with two boxes of quality Northern soul that no one had heard of, out of a million records. So after that I went to a gig and there were all the big Northern soul dealers at a record bar, who knew all the tunes since 1968. I played this set and watched them empty the record bar. It was an emotional memory, I had done it. What the fuck was that they all said? Two hours of records no one had ever heard of. "

Just curious if anyone knows of or recalls the "gig" that he is referring to around 1983 at which he played a set full of records which the big dealers had never heard of ?

What was the date / venue / event etc ?

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Reading the whole interview, I took Keb's reference to the warehouse as being in the US .

Anyway my question is really directed at finding out what single gig in the UK he is referring to where he says that his 2 hour set full of new discoveries apparently blew all the big name dealers away on the night? The way he describes it, he gives the impression that that one particular night is the one that established his reputation as a top player on the northern scene.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!