Pete S

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I think what happened is that Soul City, both the label and the shop, went into receivership at the same time, this was after he'd sent the masters of the next single to be pressed and no copies came back.  They'd just done a new distribution deal with CBS but no product appeared.  But what I'd like to know is - why did I'll Never Forget You come out as Marke Jackson in the States on Jamie and is that a real release?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Pete S said:

I think what happened is that Soul City, both the label and the shop, went into receivership at the same time, this was after he'd sent the masters of the next single to be pressed and no copies came back.  They'd just done a new distribution deal with CBS but no product appeared.  But what I'd like to know is - why did I'll Never Forget You come out as Marke Jackson in the States on Jamie and is that a real release?

Pete

According to Dave Moore and Jason Thornton's excellent book, The Philly Sound, the Jamie release used Marke although it was not his real name but for the Soul City release they used Chris which is his real name. No reason is given but the writers credit on the Jamie release is C Jackson so maybe he didn't like Marke.

There was a big row between Dave Godin and Chris , brief details are in the book. I've been told a bit about it but those who were there could give a fuller account.

It's good to see you back on Soul Source, Pete.

Rick

Edited by Rick Cooper
Social source share

Just now, Rick Cooper said:

Pete

According to Dave Moore and Jason Thornton's excellent book, The Philly Sound, the Jamie release used Marke although it was not his real name but for the Soul City release they used Chris which is his real name. No reason is given but the writers credit on the Jamie release is C Jackson so maybe he didn't like Marke.

There was a big row between Dave Godin and Chris , brief details are in the book. I've been told a bit about it but those who were there could give a true account.

It's good to see you back on Soul Source, Pete.

Rick

Thank you Rick

Social source share

Hi Pete,

Great article on CJ - any idea how the backing track to 'Since there's no doubt' ended up in the UK? Presumably a US recording as the Total Eclipses version says written by J R Bailey and Kenny Williams - did Chris Jackson bring it with him or did Dave Godin licence it?

Also how come it ended up a year later on the US Total Eclipses 45? Presumably a Dave Godin connection again judging by the Right-On label? Any other releases on US Right-On? 

Who had the STND acetate throughout the 70's, and if it is a one-off why isn't it more talked about a la Frank Wilson. Didn't Searling play it late 70's? An old SS article says John Pugh has it now

Cheers, Chris.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert