Luther Ingram again...

Pete S

Hi Pete, I have no idea about all he different variations but that looks like an issue version of my demo.

p.s. - Any idea why the vocal is credited with just Wylie as the composer and the instrumental has 3 (different) composers as per the picture?

Luther I.jpg

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

15 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

Hi Pete, I have no idea about all he different variations but that looks like an issue version of my demo.

p.s. - Any idea why the vocal is credited with just Wylie as the composer and the instrumental has 3 (different) composers as per the picture?

Luther I.jpg

Yeah it's definitely an issue of that version Kev

Social source share

1 minute ago, Pete S said:

I forget what records I've had mate honestly

Naturally with the amount that goes through your hands. :thumbsup:

Is this a for sale item?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

That's what I thought?

Paler colour of green and different typeset than the East coast Shelley (Raised X ) press and is done on lovely crisp sounding vinyl.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

11 hours ago, timthemod said:

Interestingly one of the publishers is Brianbert, Robert Bateman's publisher when he worked at Motown in the early 60's

No, not Bateman's publisher when he worked for Motown, but, Bateman's personal publishing company for his whole career AFTER leaving Motown.  "Brianbert" was the production team name for Brian Holland and Robert Bateman (also their team name even after Freddie Gorman was added).  In early 1962, businessman and Numbers Runner, Wilbur Golden, planned to start up a record company and recording studio.  He recruited several Motown production people, including Brian and Eddie Holland.  They told Robert Bateman to quit Motown, and come along with them to Golden's new Correc-Tone Records.  Bateman quit Motown, and signed with Golden.  But then, he found out that The Holland Brothers had been enticed by Berry to stay with Motown, by buying each a new Cadillac, and giving them a high raise in salary.  Bateman, not knowing that Brian wasn't coming, had already set up Brianbert Music for them, as a pair.  He just ended up changing the ownership only to himself, deciding that it would be a bit of an insult to Brian, for having "stabbed him in the back".  The bad feeling lasted only a short time.  But Bateman keptr that publisher for the rest of his life.  Popcorn Wylie also came to Correc-Tone.  The Supremes moonlighted there, singing backgrounds. William Weatherspoon was a writer there, as was Janie Bradford (under the pen name of "Nikki Todd".  There have been rumours that James Velvet was Bateman's ex-fellow Satintone (lead singer), James Ellis.

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!