Catacombs, 1971.

Torch56
Go to solution Solved by Iggyplop,

Express and Star, September 22, 1972.

This advert appeared one week after the grand reopening on September 17. Interesting for a number of reasons, chief of which was the reference to 'our coach' leaving for the Torch at 1.15 on the Saturday.

Whilst I was aware of a coach leaving from outside the Catacombs for Wigan in its early days, I have no recollection of a similar arrangement for the Torch. I'm pretty sure the Wigan one was organised by Steve Smith from Gloucester, but the one referred to here seems to have been arranged via the club itself.

Did anybody on here ever avail themselves of this service?

Social source share

I was aware that coaches ran from the Cats to Blackpool Mecca, and Wigan, but not to the Torch?, obviously that wouldve had to have happened as the ad date suggests: 72, as that venue's closure was imminent ( the Cats closed maybe a year after the Torch? ) dont know of anyone still alive who did the coach trips to any of them although its highly likely there are a good many who are still with us who did just that, but personally i dont have any recollection.....maybe thats an idea for folk on this thread to fill in the blanks, give us all a better picture of what it was like and their experiences.

50 minutes ago, Torch56 said:

Express and Star, September 22, 1972.

This advert appeared one week after the grand reopening on September 17. Interesting for a number of reasons, chief of which was the reference to 'our coach' leaving for the Torch at 1.15 on the Saturday.

Whilst I was aware of a coach leaving from outside the Catacombs for Wigan in its early days, I have no recollection of a similar arrangement for the Torch. I'm pretty sure the Wigan one was organised by Steve Smith from Gloucester, but the one referred to here seems to have been arranged via the club itself.

Did anybody on here ever avail themselves of this service?

Social source share

There probably were coaches to Blackpool Mecca from Wolverhampton, if not from the Catacombs itself. Maybe after the Cats closed? I'm unaware, but then I'd never heard of coaches to the Torch before I saw this advert.

The Torch closed in March, 1973.

The Catacombs closed in July, 1974.

Social source share

Haha..I have done in the past..😉

I reminded him of the time he came on the coach & introduced himself & Kim..

I still speak regularly to Swoz..

I'll ask about the outside signage..

I cant remember

I  do remember us ransacking the place on the last night..getting loads of blank memberships..the Cats stamp..that ended up at Blue Max shop...signing in book & other tutt..

Social source share

Clearly running a coach was not without its trials and tribulations, though they do make for fascinating reading now.

That Gloucester/Cheltenham connection to the Catacombs was particularly marked in the post Torch, pre Wigan era when attendances soared.

The stripping of the Catacombs for original memorabilia: did that extend to the iconic sign in Temple Street? I don't think so, see earlier pages on this thread.

Unfortunately, Swoz passed away in December, 2021. RIP.

Social source share

I realised I should have said Walter Swoz not Eddie his brother!!

I think the story of people trying to pull down  the sign is false..

Though I will check with Walter..

Herbie 0908..there were a bunch who caught the coach from Halesowen..

One lad I remember was called Stewart..in fact they got to Wigan for the opening night .I remember as he used the membership I had sent off for & his mate used my sisters!!

Social source share

With regard to attempts to remove the Catacombs sign on the morning of July,14th, after the last night.

The 'stacking up dustbins' story is referred to as a 'legend' by Agent Smith which suggests he probably agrees with your judgement.

In contrast, I can verify the 6 am attempt by the lads with a rope 'cos I was there. As stated earlier their chances of success were minimal. My understanding is that the sign ended up in Max's shop in Wednesfield. In all probability it ended up in a skip when Max passed away, unless anybody knows otherwise?

Social source share

On 23/02/2023 at 10:27, Torch56 said:

With regard to attempts to remove the Catacombs sign on the morning of July,14th, after the last night.

The 'stacking up dustbins' story is referred to as a 'legend' by Agent Smith which suggests he probably agrees with your judgement.

In contrast, I can verify the 6 am attempt by the lads with a rope 'cos I was there. As stated earlier their chances of success were minimal. My understanding is that the sign ended up in Max's shop in Wednesfield. In all probability it ended up in a skip when Max passed away, unless anybody knows otherwise?

I was told that was what happened and always believed, i think its more the fact it could be suggested how the story was told to you and by who and...importantly, that they were someone who actually witnessed it...and you did!, thats all the proof thats needed....thats why its a bit of a legend. It ended up in Max's Wednesfield shop for sure, as to how long it remained there, and we're talking in terms of years, i dont honestly know...or when it was removed, or what subsequently happened to it..Eddie Shwarz ( Swoz ) probably couldve answered that but sadly he's no longer with us....and Max left us a good 10 years ago now i think ( someone will surely correct me on the exact date )

Social source share

That sign was was an impressive, and sizeable, piece of street furniture. Removing it intact would have required tools, a ladder and some expertise, as well as a van to drive it away. Presumably, somebody organised all these things, and drove it to Wednesfield to deposit it in Max's shop. It can't have been some half baked, off the cuff operation involving dustbins or a length of rope on a Sunday morning.

Unless somebody knows different...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!