'keeping The Faith'

Guest Chris Waterman

Guest Chris Waterman

'Keeping The Faith'

Photographs Of The UK Soul Scene by John Barrett

John Barrett has been doucumenting the UK soul scene through a range of stunning black & white plus colour photography during the past five years.

These gritty images of the Northern soul artistes, dancers, fashion and lifestyle also include a record of the resurgence of the mod and scooterist events.

This rare collection provides a true insight into the most endearing and idiosyncratic UK dance scenes, which continues to survive, uniterrupted since the 1960's.

you are invited to view John's collection from the 28th March 2007 at Pymca Gallery, 43 Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RS from 6pm til late nearest tube- Farrington

post-900-1171458314_thumb.jpg post-900-1171458270_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris Waterman
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

'Keeping The Faith'

Photographs Of The UK Soul Scene by John Barrett

John Barrett has been doucumenting the UK soul scene through a range of stunning black & white plus colour photography during the past five years.

These gritty images of the Northern soul artistes, dancers, fashion and lifestyle also include a record of the resurgence of the mod and scooterist events.

This rare collection provides a true insight into the most endearing and idiosyncratic UK dance scenes, which continues to survive, uniterrupted since the 1960's.

you are invited to view John's collection on the 23rd March 2007 at Pymca Gallery, 43 Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RS from 6pm til late nearest tube- Farrington

post-900-1171458314_thumb.jpg post-900-1171458270_thumb.jpg

Is this the same guy who did the book? If so... no thanks! I took him to task a while ago about the book, full of old fogies, wierdo's and freaks! (mostly)

Social source share

Is this the same guy who did the book? If so... no thanks! I took him to task a while ago about the book, full of old fogies, wierdo's and freaks! (mostly)

Now let me think.....when did I last go to an allnighter where none of the above were present ????????

ermmmmm NEVER laugh.giflaugh.gif:wicked:

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

full of pics of you then..... :rolleyes:

I'll let you give me a slap at Wilton in March :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris Waterman

Just had these passed on by John, lots of different shots and not from the book

post-900-1172753213_thumb.jpgpost-900-1172753227_thumb.jpg

attachment=23729:JB_souldancer_003.jpg]post-900-1172753250_thumb.jpg[

ttachment=23731:JB_souldancer_005.jpg]post-900-1172753267_thumb.jpg[a

tachment=23733:JB_souldancer_008.jpg]post-900-1172753300_thumb.jpg[at

achment=23735:JB_souldancer_010.jpg]post-900-1172753322_thumb.jpg[att

chment=23737:JB_souldancer_012.jpg]post-900-1172753336_thumb.jpg[atta

hment=23739:JB_souldancer_014.jpg]post-900-1172753353_thumb.jpg

post-900-1172753240_thumb.jpg

post-900-1172753258_thumb.jpg

post-900-1172753291_thumb.jpg

post-900-1172753314_thumb.jpg

post-900-1172753330_thumb.jpg

post-900-1172753344_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

Why is it that people are so quick to critise rather than praise someone for what they do, or have done ?

I am approx the same age as most of those people photographed (45) & though my sons

(20 & 9yrs) oh & my grandchildren (ages 10/8/6) may call me an old fogey ... & im sure when I was 20 I would refer to 45 as being old .... I feel & look as I am suppossed to feel at 45 .... energetic / tired /happy /grumpy ect .... but certaintly not AN OLD FOGEY ! :thumbsup:

For me "old fogey" is when you cant be bothered to do anything & you sit & grumble & be critical of people for doing things .... not a number.

As for "wierdo & freaks" well I was called that over 30yrs ago when I first got into Soul .... so guess thats not changed then !

If your refering to the clothes that people are wearing in the photos as being what you see as "weird & freakish" how judgemental that makes you ... would you have called them "weird & freaks" 30yrs ago when they first wore them? I think not.

I dont wear circle skirt/ ankle socks / bags ect as I wouldnt feel comfortable in them now.

Does this make me "weird/freaky" that I dont wear the same style of clothes that I was proud to wear 30yrs ago ? I think not.

I am glad that we have a copy of Johns book & we are grateful that he has taken pics when he has been at our venues & sent us a disc off his own back & at no cost to us.

John travels all over to many venues taking pictures & though I cant say why he does it I can only assume why, & this assumption could be that he likes photography, that he wants to capture "today" so that we have a record of it "tomorrow" of something that he enjoys being a part of

"The "Soul Scene" & maybe like me & others he wants to take the scene to a wider audiance in a book, or showing your work in a gallery (cos actually it is a honour to be asked to display your work/art in a gallery)

So I thank John for taking the time, energy & doing it with passion oh & the finanicial commitment to Record The Soul Scene as it is TODAY for us & our children TOMORROW ....

Marcelle

Edited by Marcelle
Social source share

That he's got a spot in a gallery at all shows this work must be worth showing; an exhibition of photographs depicting the love of something is good in my opinion smile.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert