Wanted: Original Twisted Wheel patch

12 hours ago, STEFAN BURLAK said:

As an  Wheeler of the last years of the Club and other all-night venues, Patches, badges and other paraphernalia to my knowledge did not exist. I am pretty sure it would have been seen as very bad form to wear such items during those times.

Patches, badges, became popular during the Wigan era.

'Very bad form' - absolutely correct. We prided ourselves on our sartorial elegance with Ben Shermans, Levis etc (too much to list) but an old wheel pal always tells me that the guys from Rochdale were the trend setters at the time with new attires every week!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

If you really want a patch or badge then the best ones are the ones that Pete & Jackie Roberts sell because they are a replica of the Wheel membership cards.

Go and visit Pete, John Greene & Jock heron at Basement 66 to hear only records that were played at the Wheel and I'm sure Jackie will have some badges for sale.

Edited by Tykebike
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Most of the early venues never sold patches , very true , and the Wheel never did till Ivor saw a bit of a market to cash in on and even then they weren’t that great and just a copy of the design for the membership card . 

But others quickly saw that this was another form of potential lucrative income and started making them. 
People like Chris Burton really saw opportunities to make more of what devotees might want with his International Soul Club and started producing lots and lots of variations of stuff . 

Much later on, there was one guy who started making his own designed hand made patches and selling them - a bit like Soussan, just not out of the boot of his car.The old collectors out there will know who I’m talking about . Sadly he passed away a few years ago.  

They are like Marmite, some love them, while some others see them as all that’s wrong with the scene. 

5ca80918-7495-41cd-a644-ae0131537426.jpeg

IMG_1462.jpeg

IMG_1462.jpeg

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_3370.jpeg

Social source share

@Moveandgroove

I was too young for VA VA’s. Only went to Wigan from ‘77 to closing. I can’t recall buying a badge after chucking away my school bag. So if it helps your research all these I framed off my bag were pre ‘81. The ‘Lives On’ clearly suggests the Va Va’s one was post closure. And I’m sure I’d have bought a wheel one if available at the time. I could be wrong though, sadly time diminishes the brain! I’d rely on those who were there for that one. Cheers BazFromThePast 

IMG_9445.jpeg

IMG_9444.jpeg

Social source share

Didn't Dave Godin in one of his Blues and Soul columns refer to punters wearing Twisted Wheel embroidered badges on the breast pockets of their barathea blazers circa 1971? I seem to recall Pete Tilseley had one on his black Ben Sherman at the Catacombs in 1972.

The badges thing really took off in the Torch period with the image of the flaming torch being held with THE TORCH and STOKE ON TRENT emblazoned around its periphery. These were ubiquitous by the time of the club's closure in 1973 and clearly became the example that provided the benchmark for the entrepreneurial types, who saw a market for such items, as interest in the scene began to snowball during the Wigan era.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!