Willie dale

Willie Dale- let your light shine; who discovered this? Any additional information on the artist? I had a suggestion he's white😁. Not so sure myself. 

Found this from the Athens re issue, but who was the friend from Manchester? 

The Willie Dale 45 was discovered about 7 years ago. A good friend on the scene in Manchester won the first copy from ebay after which a few of us chased up the seller getting some of the (roughly) 5 or copies of the record ever to surface. What was a $500 record when it was unknown is now a $4000 after the Neo and Northern Soul scenes got hold of it. But less about the history what about the record, I could not fit this into any one genre; it is funk, soul, psyche and garage and rolled into one and one of the best discoveries in the last 15 years. Beyond essential

Social source share

2 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Willie Dale- let your light shine; who discovered this? Any additional information on the artist? I had a suggestion he's white😁. Not so sure myself. 

Found this from the Athens re issue, but who was the friend from Manchester? 

The Willie Dale 45 was discovered about 7 years ago. A good friend on the scene in Manchester won the first copy from ebay after which a few of us chased up the seller getting some of the (roughly) 5 or copies of the record ever to surface. What was a $500 record when it was unknown is now a $4000 after the Neo and Northern Soul scenes got hold of it. But less about the history what about the record, I could not fit this into any one genre; it is funk, soul, psyche and garage and rolled into one and one of the best discoveries in the last 15 years. Beyond essential

Willie Dale, “Let Your Light Shine.” The first batch of eight copies were discovered by collector Alex Rodriguez somewhere in Bakersfield, CA. What’s special about this record is the mystery that surrounds it. For starters, the artist’s name is fake, the street address is fake–nothing useful is given away on the label–and we have no account of what happened to the rest of the copies that might’ve been pressed. Lovie D owned the label and he has sadly passed away. The only person connected to it that we know of who’s still alive is Willie Dale’s sister and she didn’t want anything to do with it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Joesoul1958 said:

Willie Dale, “Let Your Light Shine.” The first batch of eight copies were discovered by collector Alex Rodriguez somewhere in Bakersfield, CA. What’s special about this record is the mystery that surrounds it. For starters, the artist’s name is fake, the street address is fake–nothing useful is given away on the label–and we have no account of what happened to the rest of the copies that might’ve been pressed. Lovie D owned the label and he has sadly passed away. The only person connected to it that we know of who’s still alive is Willie Dale’s sister and she didn’t want anything to do with it.

Thanks for the details, I've been told George Mahood or Adam lever were possibly the first in the UK to play/ own it, can anyone confirm? I know Ian wright covered it as the children of the night. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ok for reference, I've had PM's confirming it was first played and broken by Dave Abbott and Sean Haydon, who both hammered it simultaneously to bring it to the attention of the wider scene. Thanks for the interest and contributions. 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

Ok for reference, I've had PM's confirming it was first played and broken by Dave Abbott and Sean Haydon, who both hammered it simultaneously to bring it to the attention of the wider scene. Thanks for the interest and contributions. 

I thought that too ,though didn’t want to say anything in case someone else found it initially .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Chalky said:

It was Dave and Sean who broke it on our scene. Not sure they had it first mind, did think George at first??

When was the AOTN piece written cause it was a lot longer than 7 years ago.

Wouldn’t be suprised if George or Adam had it earlier ,with their track record of finding sounds 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Greg Belson said:

When Alex found the original batch, he first contacted me to get my opinion of the tune and the discovery. He was living in Bakersfield at the time, and I was a coupla hours drive away in LA. It's unique sound made it tough to categorize back then, but I traded for a copy with him before any of the stack went to ebay. I think the first winner was Ian Wright, and he was the guy that almost certainly broke it. The small clutch of folks in the UK 'Deep Funk Scene' hoovered up the rest, meaning almost all of the discovered batch flew across the Atlantic, leaving the lone (known at the time) copy in the US with me. Since then, one or two more have been discovered but not much else. One of the later unearthed copies, came from the back room of a store, again in Bakersfield...I think James Pogson was responsible for that one.

This is Alex's youtube post, from 5th March 2010, for dating purposes.

Great info Greg 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Glad to see this discussion.  I love this record - it is so positively uplifting. A veritable anthem of universal love and truth to dispel dark forces. It reduces, or rather elevates me to tears when I hear it.  I'm just a sad wuss though. Thank God and Willie for music like this.

Lyrics as ever relevant now as when released;

People of the world
Hear me now
Children out there
In the world
Hear me now

Cause I ain’t gonna let you down
Gonna lift you up, yeah, yeah, yeah
Cause I’m coming from a new world
Oh yeah
So clear the way
Ain’t gon [inaudible]