Love It

Guest Bogue

Guest Bogue

Love it !!

Sat here on p.c, which is at the moment in the hall outside my son's bedroom, amongst the strains of bump bump bump bump 'yo mother f**** get down shoot the mother f****' bump bump I suddenly hear the sweet sound of Curtis & Move On Up !!

Open his door & just stare at him, to which i get "What :huh: !" "It aint Northern Soul ! it's nothing like that shit you listen too ! it's a classic !"

Perhaps there is hope :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mel brat

Love it !!

Sat here on p.c, which is at the moment in the hall outside my son's bedroom, amongst the strains of bump bump bump bump 'yo mother f**** get down shoot the mother f****' bump bump I suddenly hear the sweet sound of Curtis & Move On Up !!

Open his door & just stare at him, to which i get "What :huh: !" "It aint Northern Soul ! it's nothing like that shit you listen too ! it's a classic !"

Perhaps there is hope :thumbup:

I sincerely hope so!

Remember though that "Move On Up" wasn't considered "Northern Soul" (as such) until many years after it had charted here (in 1971). Even though we'd all eagerly bought it on UK Buddah, it was regarded more of a record from our "Youth Club days", along with Newby & Johnson "Sweet Happiness" et.al., until I think, Dave Evison spun it as an "oldie" somewhere... It's a truly fabulous record though even to this day.

You might point out to your son that it's a bone fide SOUL classic, rather than just "Northern". Who knows where that simple distinction might lead him musically? Impressions certainly, Temptations perhaps, Linda Jones possibly...?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Bogue

I sincerely hope so!

Remember though that "Move On Up" wasn't considered "Northern Soul" (as such) until many years after it had charted here (in 1971). Even though we'd all eagerly bought it on UK Buddah, it was regarded more of a record from our "Youth Club days", along with Newby & Johnson "Sweet Happiness" et.al., until I think, Dave Evison spun it as an "oldie" somewhere... It's a truly fabulous record though even to this day.

You might point out to your son that it's a bone fide SOUL classic, rather than just "Northern". Who knows where that simple distinction might lead him musically? Impressions certainly, Temptations perhaps, Linda Jones possibly...?

No need to point that out Mel, he did that to me !

Newby & Johnson, other side of that is a nice tune :thumbup: bit what they would call cross over now i think.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

No need to point that out Mel, he did that to me !

Newby & Johnson, other side of that is a nice tune :huh: bit what they would call cross over now i think.

Yes. Actually I prefer that side myself nowadays. Did you know it was originally the "official A-Side anyway"? Mercury UK flipped the single over for re-promotion when the North picked up on "Sweet Happiness"!. Ironic eh? :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Yes. Actually I prefer that side myself nowadays. Did you know it was originally the "official A-Side anyway"? Mercury UK flipped the single over for re-promotion when the North picked up on "Sweet Happiness"!. Ironic eh? :huh:

T.S.W.O.N.S again Mel :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert