Early R&b 78s - All Cheap

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I know a few of you collect 78s, like I do, so i thought I'd give you first refusal on a few spares that I plan to chuck up on eBay if there no takers here.

There are a few very nice bits here, at very cheap prices. If you've not got any 78s, and are looking to start a collection, this little batch would make a nice 'starter' pack!

I've also scanned a few of the labels (see below) but my scanner doesn't really 'do' 78s, so the quality of these scans is not great. If you would like to see any of the labels that I have not scanned, give me a shout and I'll post them up.

All prices are exclusive of P & P. I will have to weigh each package individually and let you know the totals. Remember, 78s are quite heavy, so the more you buy, the cheaper the P & P gets!

All 78s will be packaged securely. I've been sending them all over the world for years, and my breakage rate is almost non existent (and has never been my fault...)

Anyway, here they are - PM me if you're interested in anything!

KING 4624 - Bullmoose Jackson - Nosey Joe/ Sad - condition V+/V+ plays VG+ (typical King recycled shellac, they all look like crap!)

Blasting uptempo vocal R & B, slightly risque, written by Leiber & Stoller

£5.00

CHESS 1628 - Bobby Charles - Take It Easy Greasy/Time Will Tell - condition VG+/VG+

Uprarious New Orleans rocker c/w first rate stroller, also done in reggae by Dennis Walks. Produced by Paul Gayten

£8.00

FEDERAL 12141 - Big Jay McNeely - Nervous Man Nervous/Rock Candy - condition EX/EX

Superlative honkin' instrumental with vocal chorus. I used to play it off a federal EP at West Hampstead, nowadays it's best known as the record that starts off Mark Lamarr's "Shake, Rattle and Roll" show. A giveaway at

£10.00

KING 4342 - Wynonie Harris - I Like My Baby's Pudding/I Can't Take It No More - condition V+/V+

Bit of wear but still nice 'n' loud. The king of blues shouters on typically ribald form. He's not talking about something that you eat. Or perhaps he is... :thumbsup:

£5.00

ALADDIN 3249 - Louis Jordan - If I Had Any Sense I'd Go Back Home/Louie's Blues - condition EX+/F

Excellent later Louis, an early composition of the great Rose Marie McCoy. B-side worn through jukebox play. Still, what do you want for

£5.00

OKEH 7029 - Chuck Willis - I Feel So Bad/Need One More Chance - condition EX/EX

Seminal selection from one of the greatest R & B singers of all time. Same song that Elvis, Little Milton, Ray Charles etc. later did. Little bit of label wear, but still a steal at

£8.00

ATLANTIC 1111 - Ivory Joe Hunter - Since I Met You Baby/You can't Stop This Rockin' And Rollin' - condition VG/EX

Gorgeous slowie, big Jamaican favourite, also done later by Solomon Burke. Decent jiver on flip. Well worth

£5.00

KING 4752 - Linda Hayes - My Name Ain't Annie/Let's Babalu - condition VG/VG

Answer disc to 'Work With Me Annie'/'Roll With Me Henry'. Backing vocals by the Platters. Top Tune!

£8.00

...plus these which I'll scan if anyone wants to see 'em enough to buy 'em!

OKEH 6712 - Golden Gate Quartet - Stalin Wasn't Stallin'/Dip Your Fingers In the Water - cond VG/VG

Top notch 1940s acappella propganda tune - revived in the 1980s by Robert Wyatt!

£5.00

KING 4541 - Sonny Thompson Orchestra - Let's Call It A Day/Blues Mambo - condition VG/VG

Lovely bluesballad with vocals by Lula Reed

£5.00

KING 4577 -Tiny Bradshaw Orchestra - Soft/Strange - condition EX/EX

Excellent jivin' instrumental with blasting sax from the great Red Prysock!

£5.00

KING 4376 - Tiny Bradshaw - Bootie Green/After You've Gone - condition V/V (plays EX)

More recycled King shellac, but a great uptempo R & B vocal obscures most of the snap, crackle & pop!

£5.00

JUBILEE 5073 - Edna McGriff - Heavenly Father/I Love You - cond VG+/VG+

Nice doo-woppy ballad, was a hit in its day. One for 'early girls' collectors!

£5.00

(UK) BRUNSWICK 01944 - The Spirits Of Rhythm - Junk Man/Dr. Watson and Mr. Holmes - cond V/V

Early (mid 30s) back to back classics by one of the first 'hot' vocal groups. Plays a lot better than it looks. A steal at only

£3.00

ALADDIN 3160 - CALVIN BOZE - Havin' A Time/Shamrock - Condition EX/EX

The nearest thing you can get to a Louis Jordan record that isn't a Louis Jordan record! Fantastic early 50s West coast shuffler from a permanently collectable artist. And yours for just

£5.00

...sorry i can't do soundclips but at these prices I would hope that nobody needs them!

Thanks for looking...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!