Great Soul Album by - AMP FIDDLER "Waltz of a Ghetto Fly"

AMP FIDDLER

"Waltz of a Ghetto Fly"

'Waltz of a Ghetto Fly' is the long awaited debut album from Amp Fiddler.

Following the release of two highly acclaimed Eps, 'Basementality' in 2002 and 'Love & War' earlier this year, Amp Fiddler has spent the last year writing and recording new tracks for the record. The result, "Waltz of a Ghetto Fly", is a woven tapestry of funk, soul, jazz and pure electronic velvet - a work that redefines the boundaries of music that speaks to the soul.

Still retaining close family ties, Amp has a strong dedication to the Detroit legacy. A Detroit native, he has been based for many years at his home/studio in Conant Gardens, which he calls Camp Amp and his live show was incontestably this year's highlight at the legendary 'Movement Festival' in Detroit, curated, organised and promoted by Derrick May, Kevin Sauderson & Carl Craig.

Amp Fiddler has worked with a vast range of world-class artists including Lucy Pearl, The Brand New Heavies, Prince, Maxwell, and George Clinton. He also featured on Carl Craig's recent "Detroit Experiment" album and on numerous Moodyman productions. He has toured with Jamiroquai, Fishbone and Tony Toni Tone to name but a few and has recently contributed to John Arnold's album on Ubiquity, Only Child's record on Grand Central and remixed Rima on Compost.

With a rich background covering a wide range of music, Fiddler can't be pinned to a singular style, but as a writer/producer he has a wholly fresh approach, carving his own take on electronic soul and funk.

I BELIEVE IN YOU is a genuine anthem, pun intended, a super funky slice of no messin' love-talk blessed with a simple-but-smart hook that just won't be forgotten. The Raphael Saadiq co-written (and definitely "bumpy") DREAMIN' displays R'n'B leanings without succumbing to modern day clich, while the supercharged SUPERFICIAL gives a SLY STONE twist to the genre formerly known as house music!

The album mood then broadens with the sublimely chilled POSSIBILITIES. This piano-infused groove barely prepares the listener for the rawness of SOUL DIVINE, a love ballad that sees Amp jamming with his MPC, his vocals tightly fused with the sweet tones of another Detroit native, Anetria Wright.

The semi-autobiographical, and J Dilla programmed, YOU PLAY ME softens the mood and the leads us to two tracks taken from the previous EPs; EYE TO EYE, perhaps the epitomy of Amp's "Basementality" writing and recording methods and the stylishly understated protest of LOVE & WAR, on which Kenny Dixon Jnr shares a production credit under his Jan moniker.

Then, in contrast to this jazzed-out anti-war mood, IF YOU CAN'T GET ME OFF YOUR MIND takes us headlong into classic song territory. With soaring vocals and live drums, Amp's near-homage to all things great in the STAXX and MOTOWN legend shows us how it should be done in the 21st century.

The final three songs on the record show further depth and diversity in the Amp Fiddler repertoire;

UNCONDITIONAL EYES is a glorious piece of slow-mo balladry, featuring Courtney Jackson's stunning vocals while the psychedelic hip-hop of THIS IS HOW was another favourite from the last EP; the album finale and title track, the remarkable WALTZ OF A GHETTO FLY, a J Dilla co-production that features long-time associate George Clinton on guest vocals.

Amp already has many supporters including Gilles Peterson, who recently invited him to record a live "worldwide" session, Peter Kruder, MAW, Bugz In The Attic, Carl Craig, Jazzy Jeff and the Unabombers to name but a few.

Following a select string of warm up shows Amp Fiddler will be re-visiting Europe with his band in mid February /early March 2004. More details to follow.

12 Feb Concorde, Brighton

13 Feb Sub Rosa, Sheffield

14 Feb Fiddlers, Bristol

27 Feb Jazz Caf, London

28 Feb Jazz Caf, London

29 Feb Roadhouse, Manchester

The first single to be taken from the album, 'I Believe in You', is scheduled for release on the 8th March 2004 and will feature a video directed by Ruben Fleisher (Dizzie Rascal; Electric Six; DJ Format).

More information on www.thegenuinearticle.net / www.ampfiddler.com / www.pias.com

Previous press support include:

~ Cover feature of Straight No Chaser ~

'Serious soul to melt your body in' STRAIGHT NO CHASER

'Whipping up the kind of frenzied devotion hitherto only enjoyed by Underground Resistance and sometime label mate Kenny Dixon Jr...This is the best that modern soul has to offer.' JOCKEY SLUT

'Amp Fiddler is gonna blow your head, speakers and, erm, amps this year. Superb.'

Leftfield Top Tune IDJ

'The hottest shit this month must be from Detroit's Amp Fiddler... Trust me people, this is essential listening!'

HIP HOP CONNECTION

'He's been likened to D'Angelo, Stevie and the like, but for me, this guy is the real deal. Absolutely superb.'

BLUES & SOUL

'The sound of the future.' UNDERCOVER

'OK, I'll put it simple. If you haven't got this record go and get it NOW...has that weird thing of sounding totally new and fresh but at the same time, old and comfortable. I'm counting the days till his album is out. Join me!' KEEP ON

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert