Wardell Quezerque

Who is this guy? Do you know any stuff he did?

I know he arranged and produced Ted Taylor's "Ghetto Disco", and also did the string and horn arrangements on the Controllers - "In Control" LP.

Love "Ghetto Disco" so maybe you guys know something?

Thanks,

Hans

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know he arranged and produced Ted Taylor's "Ghetto Disco", and also did the string and horn arrangements on the Controllers - "In Control" LP.

Thanks,

Hans

Hello Hans,

Wardell Quezergue (not Querzerque) is a legend in the music business. He produced / arranged hundreds of tracks ("Iko Iko", "Chapel Of Love", "Barefootin'" etc) and owned several labels, including Nola. He's from New Orleans but in the 1970s he also worked at Malaco in Jackson where he produced hits such as "Groove Me" by King Floyd (Chimneyville) and "Mr. Big Stuff" by Jean Knight (Stax).

Twenty of his best Malaco productions were released as Strung Out on Grapevine GVCD 3015 in 2004 - featuring tracks by Mighty Sam, CP Love, Joe Wilson, King Floyd, Chuck Brooks, Jewel Bass, Dorothy Moore Reuben Bell, Richard Caiton, etc.

Also, just released TODAY is a new album called Sound City Soul Brothers (Soulscape SSCD 7005) which is a collection of tracks recorded at Sound City for Alarm Records - featuring Ted Taylor, Reuben Bell and Eddie Giles. Wardell produced all of Reuben Bell's Alarm tracks and most of Ted Taylor's.

Wardell is 77 now and has had health problems in recent years. He is blind and also suffered in Hurricane Katrina but thankfully he survived and is doing okay at the moment.

By the way, his name is pronounced Kuh-zair.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Thanks,

Hans

And responsible for much of the Willie Tee stuff - who sadly passed last week.

Coincidently, only last night I downloaded his album - 'Wardell Quezerque: Don't Be No Square, Get Hip to Quezerque' - from itunes - includes some great stuff inc Willie Tee, Denise Keeble, Irma Thomas and the wonderful Donald Lee Richardson

Mike

Social source share

And responsible for much of the Willie Tee stuff - who sadly passed last week.

Coincidently, only last night I downloaded his album - 'Wardell Quezerque: Don't Be No Square, Get Hip to Quezerque' - from itunes - includes some great stuff inc Willie Tee, Denise Keeble, Irma Thomas and the wonderful Donald Lee Richardson

Mike

Hello Mike,

Nice album, also includes the great ballad "You Need Me" by Joe Wilson.

You'll need to unlock those itunes downloads now ...I have a "key" if you need one.

:sleep3:

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Mike,

Nice album, also includes the great ballad "You Need Me" by Joe Wilson.

You'll need to unlock those itunes downloads now ...I have a "key" if you need one.

:sleep3:

Best regards,

Paul

In fact I'd go further his name is all over literally thousands of New Orleans local productions - a top man.

Social source share

Thanks,

Hans

Hi Hans,

yes he is a real genius. I am currently reading the " last soul company" a history of Malaco. There are some nice stories about Wendell and the time he spent with Malaco to read. Recommended!

Malayka

Edited by malayka
Social source share

Wow! Thanks for all your replies! Do you know if he did something similar to Ghetto Disco? What kind of stuff did he do in the late 70s? Have to check out the other stuff you mentioned.. looks good!

Hans

Late 70s he did loads of indie 7s, like Swiss Movement "I wish our love", Las VEgas Connection, Sherry Richards etc etc....basically if it came out of NO in this period, his name was probably on it....

Social source share

Wow! Thanks for all your replies! Do you know if he did something similar to Ghetto Disco? What kind of stuff did he do in the late 70s? Have to check out the other stuff you mentioned.. looks good!

Hans

just loads of stuff to trawl thorugh. A good place to start might be the CD's in the Americas Most Wanted series uo tp 3 volumes now I think ?

And the sleeve notes are very informative on all of them so you'll get directed to lots of other stuff.

Not purely WQ but I guess you'll find plenty to enjoy.

happy listening :unsure:

Social source share

Thanks,

Hans

Hans,

This guy is the "Gulf Coast" king of producing, he did soul, 60s garage, Creole, Rock every type of music... if a label says produced by the BIG Q. that is him also. I do not exaggerate when I say he possibly produced more soul records than most, with Huey Meaux running a very close second.

considered a genius, has the nick named "The Creole Beethoven"

Steve Cooper will answer this better than me....over to you Mr. Coops..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert