New Kid On The Block Needs Some Advice

Hello

Basically Im 21 ,Love Northern Soul/R n B and wanted to start buying vinyl. I just need some advice on what to look out for e.g the different types of record labels, prices and so on, if anyone could give me some advice and direction it would me most helpful.

Thanks

Jay

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello

Basically Im 21 ,Love Northern Soul/R n B and wanted to start buying vinyl. I just need some advice on what to look out for e.g the different types of record labels, prices and so on, if anyone could give me some advice and direction it would me most helpful.

Thanks

Jay

Jay welcome aboard - you'll find plenty on here. I'd start by playing some of the refosoul clips and seeing what ones you like.....also there's plenty of great cheap northern you can get for a fiver - start there rather than the more expensive stuff - that's my advice.

Social source share

Welcome Jay :rolleyes:

never be afraid to ask for advice on here as there are so many knowledgable peeps more than willing to give advice and point you in the right direction

Bearsy

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Hello

Thanks

Jay

HI JAY

THE GUY'S ON HERE CAN GIVE YOU SOME GOOD ADVICE ONE THING HOPE YOU GOT ABIG BANK BALANCE SO BE CAREFUL ALL WAYS CHECK BEFORE YOU START SPEND YOUR MONEY

LEON :rolleyes:

Social source share

Hello

Thanks

Jay

I think I remember being 21 once ! great to hear that you are well into it,

I will Echo what steve said and start at the cheaper end of the scale, buy US ORIGINALS or UK labels like kent or try and get the Grapevine sets together, still most are easily obtainable around £10 and they are only in runs of 500 i think and include many big nighter sounds, unreleased gemsSo it won't cost a fortune and will form a solid base to your future collection. Above all BUY WHAT YOU LIKE TO HEAR,

Good luck

Rob & Karen

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Above all BUY WHAT YOU LIKE TO HEAR,

Good luck

Rob & Karen

Spot on !

Welcome to the mad world of Soul and Records Jay.

What Gigs do you go to ?

Social source share

Hello

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay and welcome aboard.

I guess if you're from Great Yarmouth and go to Brighton Beach at Leicester you're a student there?

You will find a narrower spectrum of stuff played at 'Northern' events but it's still massively broad. Should echo the other on here buy what you like and go for cheap USA originals they'll hold their value relatively speaking. If you're not really planning on being that serious the Kent CD's are superb in content and packaging. What ever route you take there's always someone on here to help, none of us know everything, but Chalky, Tony Rounce and Pete S(mith) will usually have the answer between them.

If you want to stay sane though steer clear of 'Freebasing' many of the posts in there are a special kind of stupid :rolleyes::D

Ged

Social source share

hi Jay,how yer doing????????!!!!!!!!! give me a email sort some stuff out for you, cheap but good!!!! :D glad to see you on S.S.(was the picture taken at the subway near Yarmouth!!!!!)

Social source share

Spot on !

Welcome to the mad world of Soul and Records Jay.

What Gigs do you go to ?

cheers m8

dont really go to many, have been to a couple in leciester cus my m8's at uni there, brigton beach usually. Nothing really happens in yarmouth, went to one locally was really good at the ocean rooms in gorleston, and went to one in the talk in norwich which was the best one yet but nothing seems to crop up on a regular basis

Social source share

mmm......

Apart from soul essence mate. Get yourself there in march for the weekender its a cracker.

plenty of people on here involved with it and its well promoted look out for details.

ok cool, cheers m8

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Hello

Thanks

Jay

That's great Jay,

I personally would not bother with buying Grapevines, Goldsouls, kent, stardust or goldmine 45s, you will find that they will more than likely not hold there value over the years because of their massed production. Also, these 45s will all be collectively available on CD anyway, and they themselves will be more collectable in CD format. It is better to buy a rare soul price guide, and if you hear a record you really love, try to purchase the 45 as an original, this will not lose value, especially kept in excellent condition, Just my opinion.

Jock.

Social source share

Guest Rich Walker

I'd agree with jock there.

Unless you really know you will never be able to afford a certain record, try and buy the original pressing in good condition.

And as Steve says CD's are a great way of getting you started.

Try a compilation series called "Northern Soul Fever" on Goldmine. Think there are 4 volumes, and all are 2CD sets. I really enjoyed them all, and they have a pretty varied selection of styles and tempo.

I found/find the following things really useful when starting to collect records:

Manships Price Guide (find out 'roughly' how much that record is going to cost you...)

Manships Guide to Bootlegs (find out if it's an original or not. Also gives a good intro. to matrix numbering, pressing plant etc).

* In general Manships site is a great place to go to a listen to soul, view auctions and you can even buy company sleeves for your beloved 45s. https://www.raresoulman.co.uk

Soul Club https://www.soulclub.org (loads of soul tracks to listen to)

eBay (find pretty much any record)

Soul-Source (for any question you have about rare soul music and not forgetting all those tracks on Refosoul)

Hope that helps,

Rich.

Social source share

Hi there and welcome along to the mental world of Soul music collecting and going to venues. As mentioned by the wise men that posted before buy what you like and not just what is in vogue at the time. Records don't have to be expensive but some of the ones that you will want to own will be. Stick to ones within your budget and don't forget that your taste will change through the years. As for buying expensive vinyl then it all depends how much you want that particular 45. Even hard bitten collectors like myself still crave 45s that are out of our reach but we can still dream. Anyway it is great that you are getting into the music all the best and any help we on here can give you then don't hesitate to post here and we will try to solve any questions you have.

best regards fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert