Recommendation

Guest thierry

Guest thierry

Hello

not so much of a regular poster on the forum. But i need your help.

I've been interested since more than a quarter of a century now in collecting and listening to black music , mainly from the 60s . My main interests are R&B, Blues, Club Soul and deep funk . I never really collected Northern soul 45s and most of that part of the music is on reissues/cds in my collection, since it's impossible to buy everything .

Anyway from time to time i visit some relatives in the midlands and have been to several soul nighters, met some nice people ... Musicwise i was expecting to hear some of the latest discoveries by some of the djs, but it seemed that 95% of the punters were only looking forward to hear some stuff that is listed in Kev Roberts's guide, so this was also what most of the djs had on offer. So i must say that i was a little bit dissapointed .

So this is the point were i need your help . What night / nighter in the midlands would you be able to recommend to hear some great discoveries with a good mix of classics and rarities (i'm not really keen on modern soul) .

looking forward to hear from you .

best regards and thanking you in advance for your help .

Thierry (mod , not the modern from Brussels ... to avoid the confusion)

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello

I've been interested since more than a quarter of a century now in collecting and listening to black music , mainly from the 60s . My main interests are R&B, Blues, Club Soul and deep funk . I never really collected Northern soul 45s and most of that part of the music is on reissues/cds in my collection, since it's impossible to buy everything .

Anyway from time to time i visit some relatives in the midlands and have been to several soul nighters, met some nice people ... Musicwise i was expecting to hear some of the latest discoveries by some of the djs, but it seemed that 95% of the punters were only looking forward to hear some stuff that is listed in Kev Roberts's guide, so this was also what most of the djs had on offer. So i must say that i was a little bit dissapointed .

So this is the point were i need your help . What night / nighter in the midlands would you be able to recommend to hear some great discoveries with a good mix of classics and rarities (i'm not really keen on modern soul) .

The Regency Suites @ Ilkeston - highly recommended for the quality and diversity of the music .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Bidds in Stoke is a cracking nighter and not far, next one is the 16th

You could always try a new night me and my mate have just started playing early 60s soul, R&B and Popcorn. We had our first night on Friday and had quite a few from the West Midlands in - Soulful Shack if you want to have a look at the event feedback

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

try our nite at the Attic Thierry,7.30-12.20.(BAR TIL 12.00)

First Saturday of the month(not March).

Usually 4 + 1 guest DJ. Not the top 500 played,just (imho),quality soul music.Northern and Crossover.

Pm me or SteveL for more info,,cheers,,KEV.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Hello

Bentinck, pilsley , Annesley , Attic ( all in the east midlands ) it depends on what night you prefer ( Friday or saturday ) but all these places will play some you know and some you maybe wont........ :rolleyes:

ripper

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hello

Willington in Derby....I think Denmac's on this site so he'd be able to advise. Go for Den's set alone - and there's always an excellent selection and variety of tunes played by Rob Kay and Austen. The guest is always interesting as well - so Willington it is biggrin.gif Jo

Social source share

Hello

Hi Thierry...Me, Bob & Chewing Ted will be at Bidds.....on the 16th...will be great to see you again

Social source share

Guest thierry

thanx to all for all this very useful info . very very much appreciated .

next trip to the midlands should be around the easter period .

Linda , the record is in the post . (would be really grateful if could you remind Ted to send the tracklisting of the CD he gave me at the Hideaway club)

Social source share

thanx to all for all this very useful info . very very much appreciated .

next trip to the midlands should be around the easter period .

Linda , the record is in the post . (would be really grateful if could you remind Ted to send the tracklisting of the CD he gave me at the Hideaway club)

I'll sort the tracklisting myself thierry. Ta for the record.

OH...btw I spoke to Merv & Bob and we can now confirm the October date....really looking forward to it !!!!

Linda

x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert