Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The repros are WD's arent they?

I had a look on popsike and it was strange because it even said that it was a repro? Although by the looks of it completely the same as the original federal WD.

I assume it would be safer to get an issue?

Social source share

Be carefull with the Mike Pedicin - the Belgians have been selling repros on eBay for daft money.

I'd have said £400 now for a kosher one (has fetched $900+ on eBay).

Mongo Santamaria is about £30.

The Mike Pedicin repros are white demos......a dealer sold an issue in Allentown for $650, he originally had $900 on it, so £350 seems about right.

Oh, and it's not Mongo Santamaria, it's Monguito Santamaria...just to help you with the google/ebay search :wave: , and I'd say more like £50 than £30.

Social source share

Are they the same artist - mongo and monguito?

I was thinking closer to the £50 mark, i've not really seen any arond though, the latin guys seem to keep hold of them.

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

I seem to remember a Hector Rivera making over £500 on the 'bay recently......

......that's another one I won't be getting then :wave:

Social source share

Only heard it recently, cracking record, really nice arrangement.

Was hoping it would be one of them cheaper ones that are a smidge harder to find.

Hmmm.. I'll double check popsike.

Social source share

Are they the same artist - mongo and monguito?

I was thinking closer to the £50 mark, i've not really seen any arond though, the latin guys seem to keep hold of them.

They turn up now and again, I believe John Weston has just started spinning it in his sets.

It was a massive tune on the mod scene in the 90s.

Pretty sure I've had it on on a Europen pic sleeve in the past, on a diff label, but you just can't beat a nice Fania copy....got an issue meself, which seem so much scarcer than WDs.

Craig Moerer had a few VG+ copies a while ago for $50.

Good latin is just hard to find full stop, don't know where the f*ck it all is to be honest..certainly not easy to find any of it in the States never mind over here. :wave:

Social source share

Oh, and it's not Mongo Santamaria, it's Monguito Santamaria...just to help you with the google/ebay search :wicked: , and I'd say more like £50 than £30.

you would you robbing get... :wicked:

It was Mongo on the European release - French art sleeve if my memory is right - and you'll get one of them for £30. :wave:

Social source share

It was Mongo on the European release - French art sleeve if my memory is right - and you'll get one of them for £30. :wave:

Probably right on price of pic sleeve, but it's on a lable called Pink Elephant or something shite.

Rather pay £50 for a Fania anyday.

....but then you always have been a cheapskate.... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

P.S. Think Mongo and Monguito are different artists

Great name Mongo, good job he didn't go school over here eh :wave:

Best thing he ever did was Blazing Saddles :wicked:

Social source share

Are you sure about that....I have had it (though thought it was Belgium tbh) and pretty sure it was Monguito?

Also got released on a mod 3 track boot as Mongo Bongo or something similar....perhaps that's the one you have with a nice self crayoned pic sleeve :wicked:

Social source share

There's a french one on a different label.... deffo not Pink elephant... "Disk Jockey" or similar.... part of the Vogue set up.... keep yer wig on....

My wig is firmly in place....I have had a latin track on the Disc Jockey label with pic sleeve but think it was Ray Barretto 'Soul Drummers'.

Even so... are you still sure its Mongo and not Monguito? :wave:

Social source share

do you know what Mace, i'm not sure, but i am on my fourth 'cocktail' so I :wicked: couldn't give a flying one to be honest....

I'll take that as a back peddle then :wicked:

I honestly don't know either way Joe, and besides baiting you for fun :lol: I would actually be interested to know if it was credited as Mongo on the Disc Jockey release?

Either way, it's gotta be Fania or nowt imo, so fook it.... :wave:

Social source share

There's a french one on a different label.... deffo not Pink elephant... "Disk Jockey" or similar.... part of the Vogue set up.... keep yer wig on....

I have the french issue, might be Disk jockey, can't remember, but not pink elephant! I just gave away my Fania issue :thumbup: BUT, it's the french issue you should get cos it's got a different b-side; "Work out" which is also a killer! :)

PS. Mongo is the father of Munguito, that's what I've heard...

Social source share

I have the french issue, might be Disk jockey, can't remember, but not pink elephant! I just gave away my Fania issue :ohmy: BUT, it's the french issue you should get cos it's got a different b-side; "Work out" which is also a killer! :)

PS. Mongo is the father of Munguito, that's what I've heard...

I've got the Belgian Demo on Pink Elephant. It IS Monguito and i'm sure it's the same artist. Isn't it just the shortening of his name? The singularly worst artwork I've ever seen on a picture cover. Like a 5 year old drew it with his eyes shut.

I paid £10 for it a few years ago off the bay. No-one bidded on it. I was gobsmacked. It's his best record by far.. Work Out is a great b-side. Though it's crazy fast for dancing.

You're right Mace/Joe, Latin has disappeared into the ether in recent years. Loads of really great latin stuff floating around in the late 90's. Hector Riviera is a prize piece for Northern and Mod and Latin collectors alike. Hundreds of people chasing them. For a good reason. As is Bobby Valentine. Which is even harder. But twice as good.

Back on topic. I reckon anyone selling a Hector Riviera can name his price really. Best way is to waggle loads of cash in front of someone who has one.

x

Social source share

I've got the Belgian Demo on Pink Elephant. It IS Monguito and i'm sure it's the same artist. Isn't it just the shortening of his name? The singularly worst artwork I've ever seen on a picture cover. Like a 5 year old drew it with his eyes shut.

I paid £10 for it a few years ago off the bay. No-one bidded on it. I was gobsmacked. It's his best record by far.. Work Out is a great b-side. Though it's crazy fast for dancing.

You're right Mace/Joe, Latin has disappeared into the ether in recent years. Loads of really great latin stuff floating around in the late 90's. Hector Riviera is a prize piece for Northern and Mod and Latin collectors alike. Hundreds of people chasing them. For a good reason. As is Bobby Valentine. Which is even harder. But twice as good.

Back on topic. I reckon anyone selling a Hector Riviera can name his price really. Best way is to waggle loads of cash in front of someone who has one.

x

May I happily correct myself. I just found this.

'Piano player Monguito Santamaria recorded a series of LPs for Fania during the late '60s and early '70s that earned notice for their bass-heavy grooves and anthemic status for Latin soul fans. The son of Afro-Cuban conga hero Mongo Santamaria (and not to be confused with the vocalist Monguito who recorded with Johnny Pacheco), Monguito Santamaria grew up in New York surrounded by music, especially while his father played in Tito Puente's orchestra during the '50s. He also studied music and made a few recordings while at Brooklyn College. Name recognition undoubtedly helped him get a contract with Fania, but his late-'60s LPs, Hey Sister and Black Out, were some of the best in the Latin soul style sweeping the scene during that era. Still, he released only one more LP, 1974's En Una Nota!. ~ John Bush, All Music Guide'

Like father like son!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!