The Internet

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Just my opinion Dave. I'm allowed that eh?

What's the promotor's taste got to do with anything? I like rock music but i wouldn't be sticking Van Halen and Deep Purple on alongside the soul music unless i didn't think i could get enough soulies in and needed the rock fans to pack out the room.

In my opinion they play different genres so they get a mix of more people into those different genres.

So yes it is black and white to me.

Well, I'm just gutted!. :lol: I'd love to hear a bit of Van Halen or Deep Purple at a soul night. I'd be heaven.. shame no one caters for me...

can you imagine it Runnin' with the devil into "Crazy bout you baby" followed by highway star and into a bit of 7t's and modern soul... I'm sure I'd be on my own.

I'll get my coat!. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean, I like a lot of early wheel stuff, I call it northern and my friend here calls it RnB.

Jayne.x

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

• Replies 173
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Well, I'm just gutted!. :thumbup: I'd love to hear a bit of Van Halen or Deep Purple at a soul night. I'd be heaven.. shame no one caters for me...

can you imagine it Dancin' with the devil into "Crazy bout you baby" followed by highway star and into a bit of 7t's and modern soul... I'm sure I'd be on my own.

I'll get my coat!. :D

I know what you mean, I like a lot of early wheel stuff, I call it northern and my friend here calls it RnB.

Jayne.x

:lol:

If i'm honest i wouldn't mind hearing a bit either... :lol:

That's your next project then Jayne :thumbsup: integrate prog rock into the soul scene.

Social source share

:D

If i'm honest i wouldn't mind hearing a bit either... unsure.gif

That's your next project then Jayne :shades: integrate prog rock into the soul scene.

Aww..now you're talking!.. I'll give it some thought. rolleyes.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

What's the promotor's taste got to do with anything? I like rock music but i wouldn't be sticking Van Halen and Deep Purple on alongside the soul music unless i didn't think i could get enough soulies in and needed the rock fans to pack out the room.

In my opinion they play different genres so they get a mix of more people into those different genres.

Of course you're allowed your opinion, as are we all, though saying "These pick n mix nights are just to get people in who don't like soul .. to fill the room up" comes across more like a statement of established fact rather than opinion, and I know it to be wrong in some cases.

The promoters taste has a great deal to do with it, as music policy is often a reflection of their taste. If it was just about "getting people in" there would, god forbid, be even more oldies nights dealing in the safe and familiar. If the music policy of these promoters does not coincide with the taste of sufficient customers obviously the night soon falls by the wayside, but there are mixed events that stand their ground, as Spacehopper pointed out.

Another point is that it's not exactly a new concept to have more than one genre: Look at a few old playlists from The Wheel.

That wasn't what i said was it? I said what people sometimes claim is R&B is, IN MYOPINION, soul music.

You included on your list Betty Lou and Bobby Adams and it's stretching things a bit to say that's soul rather than R&B, IMHO.

Social source share

A lot of soulies like "safe and familiar" but everybody to thier own taste.

It would be impossible to get a night that pleased 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Social source share

joking aside matt ....surely you can see how ska and 60s soul will go together just a bit better than van halen ?... :thumbsup:

and yes youre entitled to your opinion but as a dj at such an event i can tell you your opinion is wrong... FACT ! we would have no less people at go go if it was soul allnight....cos some times it does nearly work out that way anyway !

and not once has the thought of "shit we better play some other stuff cos no ones coming " ever entered our heads...

but i have a feeling you will still not believe me anyway...so have a good weekend ! :lol:

Social source share

"These pick n mix nights are just to get people in who don't like soul ..

I have to disagree with this statement...I think you will find that a vast majority of people who like Soul Music also like genres such as rocksteady/reggae so saying nights which mix their music policy to get non soulies through the door is wide of the mark...People don't have to be just into Soul...i'm sure there are plenty of people...even the most stalwart Soul Brigade on here who like a wide variety of music...anyone with taste such as to like Soul will have a deeper understanding of what denotes great music anyway IMO...flip it on its head and you will also find that the majority of Ska lovers will have quite a deep love of Northern/Soul, just as a Mod will for that matter...just because they don't immerse themselves completely in Soul music...doesn't mean they don't like it.

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

I have to disagree with this statement Dave...I think you will find that a vast majority of people who like Soul Music also like genres such as rocksteady/reggae so saying nights which mix their music policy to get non soulies through the door is wide of the mark...People don't have to be just into Soul...i'm sure there are plenty of people...even the most stalwart Soul Brigade on here who like a wide variety of music...anyone with taste such as to like Soul will have a deeper understanding of what denotes great music anyway IMO...flip it on its head and you will also find that the majority of Ska lovers will have quite a deep love of Northern/Soul, just as a Mod will for that matter...just because they don't immerse themselves completely in Soul music...doesn't mean they don't like it.

I think Dave was actually saying that people do like mixed music policy nights-as I know he does :thumbsup:

But a lot of Northern Soul fans on here just like NS and nothing else.

Edited by Reg
Social source share

I think Dave was actually saying that people do like mixed music policy nights-as I know he does :thumbsup:

But a lot of Northern Soul fans on here just like NS and nothing else.

I know I edited it as soon as I posted it as I realised Dave was agreeing with me hahaha!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

:thumbsup: Must try that on boogalooradio.com x factor here we come..

See thread --

Peterborough lad posts on here regularly as wpaulvandyk

Social source share

I have to disagree with this statement...I think you will find that a vast majority of people who like Soul Music also like genres such as rocksteady/reggae so saying nights which mix their music policy to get non soulies through the door is wide of the mark...People don't have to be just into Soul...i'm sure there are plenty of people...even the most stalwart Soul Brigade on here who like a wide variety of music...anyone with taste such as to like Soul will have a deeper understanding of what denotes great music anyway IMO...flip it on its head and you will also find that the majority of Ska lovers will have quite a deep love of Northern/Soul, just as a Mod will for that matter...just because they don't immerse themselves completely in Soul music...doesn't mean they don't like it.

Hangover this morning Beeks? wacko.gif

The phrase you quoted was not mine. I quoted it from Matt's post, hence the inverted commas, so that I could put over a converse view. If you read the posts you will see that I have no problems with a bit of R&B and Jamaican being played.

Social source share

Hangover this morning Beeks? wacko.gif

The phrase you quoted was not mine. I quoted it from Matt's post, hence the inverted commas, so that I could put over a converse view. If you read the posts you will see that I have no problems with a bit of R&B and Jamaican being played.

I know Dave...realised it as soon as I posted it and read back...think I was still half asleep haha :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

No but when it was discovered it was classed as Northern, and thats what he meant, I think, R & B was never mentioned then.

Thanks Pete, i was starting to think i was speaking a foreign langauge. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

joking aside matt ....surely you can see how ska and 60s soul will go together just a bit better than van halen ?... :lol:

and yes youre entitled to your opinion but as a dj at such an event i can tell you your opinion is wrong... FACT ! we would have no less people at go go if it was soul allnight....cos some times it does nearly work out that way anyway !

and not once has the thought of "shit we better play some other stuff cos no ones coming " ever entered our heads...

but i have a feeling you will still not believe me anyway...so have a good weekend ! :D

I believe you, why wouldn't I? If you pitch it wide enough to start with, they'll still keep coming when it's mostly soul. Nice one :yes: I got into soul music at the local disco where Ska and Two Tone and 60s pop was played alongside northern soul. I expect most people did my age did. Nothing wrong with that. :yes:

My point about rock music was just a response to that if it comes down to a promotor's varied musical taste then they could play pretty much anything and it turns into a local disco. I doubt if there's anyone on here with such a narrow musical taste that only includes black music.

I suppose really my point was that i prefer my northern/rare soul on in a separate room, like several others on here, Chalky and Pete to name two. The pick and mix comment was just a bit of a wind up and it touched a nerve obviously. Sorry :yes:

Anyway good luck with your night :lol: i've never been to GoGo. Is it similar to the Save Our Souls one in London?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Anyway good luck with your night :rolleyes: i've never been to GoGo. Is it similar to the Save Our Souls one in London?

Looks a bit similar, except for the music really! We don't play many 'Top 500'-type records, no mod revival stuff, no 2-Tone, and avoid well-known 60's pop of the Kinks/Who/Small Faces/Stones sort of thing. So similar, but try and keep it a bit more unusual, I suppose.

I also collect 60's/early 70's freakbeat/psych/swirly mod stuff, but I keep that for a separate night... :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I'm with you Jayne.

These days people log onto the internet, write a few posts and genuinely think they are part of the northern soul scene.

Hello? To be 'part of the northern soul scene' you need to get out there and actually go to venues. Not just post a few words on the internet.

You can love soul music by not going to venues, but you can't be part of the scene by sitting in your front room.

he! he! he! ......5% Joan ,5% :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Well, Looks like I'm on my own again then... :rolleyes: I deffo, certainly 100% think that the internet has been a bad thing for the soul scene. It has played as much a part of empying venue's as the smoking ban has!. I have many many reasons for thinking this but sadly not enough time to list them all. Yes, I've made some fantastic friends, who i've got to know on places like here, KTF, Night Owl etc but on the whole, I think the scene was more enjoyable before t'net.

Jayne.x

Thing on here is it's great for info ect ect....what some don't like is the fact that when some dodgy people come on here to promote their night or tell us what a great dj they are,is the fact that others rumble them straight away,post on here whats,what and they're numbers up.Some have such a love of the music and scene that the first dissenting word about em and they say...THATS IT I AM NOT COMING OUT ANY MORE.......Remember if your honest and straight your ok.....if not, the internet will give you away..tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Here's a question i'd like to throw out...would some of you even met if it wasn't for the tinternet?

Yes I know...no doubt you will say we all attended this together...or that together pre internet...and quite possibly that is indeed the case...and alot of you did meet purely going to dos...but I also bet that some of your friendships have been formed over this very website...getting to know them on here before meeting in a nighter say?

So surely for that very reason alone the internet is not so much of a bad thing?

there are some mr beeks who's only reason to be out and about is to meet people off,of SS the music seems secondary atb tezzie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert