Kenny Thomas

Hi all

I'm a new user to the forum.

Can anyone tell me when Kenny Thomas releases his new album/provide any further info? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jules

Social source share

• Replies 90
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi all

Can anyone tell me when Kenny Thomas releases his new album/provide any further info? :wicked:

Cheers

Jules

link

Roger Williams is your man for this, or the EMS forum! My understanding is there is not date as yet, seem to be some issues, the Him single (?) I have not heard of other than the CDR exclusives so favoured by Roger :shades::lol:

Any news Mr Williams?

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Little Miss Soul

Now I'm not too sure if I should write this or not but I specifically watched Baby hit me one more time on Sat night to see Kenny Thomas and he did not disappoint! I think his voice has improved over the years and his version of a Norah Jones song was fantastic. He did say that his new album is 'coming up for release some time soon' and I for one will be ordering a copy.

A great UK artist! Although some traditionalists do not agree so I understand....

I don't suppose anyone else saw this did they??!!! No, thought not.

PS: Though Ultra Nate was also quite good singing Free but didn't think her cover of the Rachel Stevens song Some Girls was well chosen.

Social source share

Hi all

Can anyone tell me when Kenny Thomas releases his new album/provide any further info? :lol:

Cheers

Jules

link

Coming soon apparently. It's a shelved project from the 90's. There's been a lot of hype about it, especially with 'Him' track being covered up ! I've heard a couple of other tracks that are on the album, 'Let it Rain' is a very strong mid tempo tune.

'Turn It Up' and 'When I think of You' are very average wishy washy tunes that are only getting plays because they're unreleased.

'Him' is an outstanding tune,but unfortunately the release has been so long overdue,it's lost a lot of impetus,due to everyone having it on cdr thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

neil rushton might but i suspect you're got the wrong forum old bean

link

Soul Source covers pretty much covers all aspects of the soul scene, Rare,Northern,Modern R+B,something for everyone on here.

To say he's on the wrong forum is a little off the mark, you may not like Kenny Thomas,but the impact that 'HIM' has had in the modern rooms over the last 12 months cannot be denied. He may be white, but as Roger Williams announced when he last played it out. 'The best British soul record, ever, ever, ever' and who can argue with him?

I bet loads of you will thumbsup.gif

Pete

Social source share

Now I'm not too sure if I should write this or not but I specifically watched Baby hit me one more time on Sat night to see Kenny Thomas and he did not disappoint! I think his voice has improved over the years and his version of a Norah Jones song was fantastic. He did say that his new album is 'coming up for release some time soon' and I for one will be ordering a copy.

A great UK artist! Although some traditionalists do not agree so I understand....

Hello - girl after my own heart!! I love Kenny Thomas and I actually taped Baby hit Me... as I was in the shower at the time but my 4 year old did shout 'mum that man you have a photo of is on the tele'!!! Met Mr Thomas at Lea Hall last Christmas - what a lovely bloke, sing, dance, gorgeous looking - my I wonder if he'd like to do a personal show for us :yes:

Social source share

Guest marco i

Soul Source covers pretty much covers all aspects of the soul scene, Rare,Northern,Modern R+B,something for everyone on here.

To say he's on the wrong forum is a little off the mark, you may not like Kenny Thomas,but the impact that 'HIM' has had in the modern rooms over the last 12 months cannot be denied. He may be white, but as Roger Williams announced when he last played it out. 'The best British soul record, ever, ever, ever'  and who can argue with him?

I bet loads of you will  :yes:

Pete

link

Can someone upload or PM a sound clip, please?

Haven't heard it yet down here in Italy... wink.gif

Thanks, Marco

Social source share

To say he's on the wrong forum is a little off the mark, you may not like Kenny Thomas,but the impact that 'HIM' has had in the modern rooms over the last 12 months cannot be denied. He may be white, but as Roger Williams announced when he last played it out. 'The best British soul record, ever, ever, ever'  and who can argue with him?

Pete

link

I quite agree wink.gif

Social source share

Pete

link

wasn't having a go, just suggesting quite seriously that there are probably better places to discuss kenny thomas than on here - like a modern soul forum about british artists? there must be one and there will be a much higher proportion of people on it who will be interested in kenny thomas than there will on here.

but like i say, not having a go, if you want to talk about kenny thomas on here that's fine with me

Social source share

wasn't having a go, just suggesting quite seriously that there are probably better places to discuss kenny thomas than on here - like a modern soul forum about british artists? there must be one and there will be a much higher proportion of people on it who will be interested in kenny thomas than there will on here.

but like i say, not having a go, if you want to talk about kenny thomas on here that's fine with me

link

thats ok as I wasnt having a go neither!

But seriously I thought this forum could be for modern soul too!?

Social source share

yeah it can karen

but the way to read my post is not 'piss off mate, we're not interested'

it's 'try rushton cos he had a lot to do with kenny years ago (i think neil?) and may know but otherwise this might not be the best place to look for info...maybe try somewhere else (cos people on here may not be that clued up)'.

having said that it maybe read a bit flippantly and i was obviously wrong cos people do know!

have taken myself round the back for a good kicking

Social source share

link

Didn't think you were having a go for minute Dan.

I'm into modern and like to know what's happening in the northern rooms,some of the northern guys like to know what's happening in the modern rooms.

You can keep up to date on here :wicked:

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Now I'm not too sure if I should write this or not but I specifically watched Baby hit me one more time on Sat night to see Kenny Thomas and he did not disappoint!  I think his voice has improved over the years and his version of a Norah Jones song was fantastic.  He did say that his new album is 'coming up for release some time soon' and I for one will be ordering a copy.

A great UK artist!  Although some traditionalists do not agree so I understand....

PS:  Though Ultra Nate was also quite good singing Free but didn't think her cover of the Rachel Stevens song Some Girls was well chosen.

link

Being married to someone who absolutely detests soul music, this type of show is usually on in my house and I must agree, Kenny Thomas was fantastic. Just shows what the great British public know about music when the act with the best voice (Mr Thomas) didn't get through and some shite (failed) 90s boy band did. Doesn't matter anyway cos Shakey's gonna win.

Social source share

Guest dodger

I do genuinely believe it's one of the best British soul tunes ever made because of the ingredients that go into it - the unashamed Leroy Hutson 'All Because Of You' influence, the everything-but-the-kitchen sink production, the melody, arrangement, KT's vocal, horns, real orchestra, the lot. The colour of the vocalist's skin is absolutely irrelevant imo because it's just a great, GREAT song as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who knows me knows how quickly I tire of tunes, but I've had it for a very long time now, not long after Bigger first played it, and I'm still not bored with it - which for me is the mark of a classic tune. 60s and northern soul diehards will no doubt think it's a pile of shit, but hey-ho, each to his own, but who the singer is shouldn't in any way colour peoples' judgement of it, because without doubt it's probably THE biggest modern soul tune in a very very long time.

As with 'Crazy World', it's a shame that record company politics get in the way with these things because tracks like 'Him' need to be put out officially as quickly as possible because despite how small in the great scheme of things the UK soul scene actually is, I'm sure they'd sell enough to earn Kenny a sizeable chunk of dosh, which to be honest the guy thoroughly deserves as he's such a gent and has also been plugging away for years making actually pretty good records and he was exceptionally good at Fleetwood a couple of years back, plus he danced all the way through my spot after his P.A. so he's got great taste!! :wicked:

That's my two-pennorth on Mr. Thomas anyway!! :D

The new album's due round about August/September so I believe.

Roger

Social source share

Guest bonsors

Intro starts....you think it's another quiet storm type thing...

...much more mature voice now - has it dropped slightly? You can tell who it is - just about.

And to think the wife was going to throw his old albums out not long ago. I might make her go and dig them out again - but I think I might make here just buy the new one. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest dodger

It was recorded in 1996 for this third (shelved) album for Cooltempo. Blows me away EVERY time I listen to it.

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

Guest bonsors

It was recorded in 1996 for this third (shelved) album for Cooltempo.  Blows me away EVERY time I listen to it.

Cheers

Roger

link

Was it shelved because of the quality or did it not fit into Cooltempo's image?

Methinks at the time Cooltempo was changing hands from one major to another...

Dance "hits" that year -

Faithless 'Insomnia'

Robert Miles 'Children'

BBE 'Seven Days and 1 Week'

Tori Amos 'Professional Widow'

Hmmm. Maybe that's why :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest dodger

Was it shelved because of the quality or did it not fit into Cooltempo's image?

Methinks at the time Cooltempo was changing hands from one major to another...

Dance "hits" that year -

Faithless 'Insomnia'

Robert Miles 'Children'

BBE 'Seven Days and 1 Week'

Tori Amos 'Professional Widow'

Hmmm. Maybe that's why  :rolleyes:

link

The label closed I think, but you're probably right, it didn't really fit with those you mention (though I did actually like that Robert Miles track at the time).

Social source share

See, turned out quite good after us girlies feeling a bit embarrassed about commenting on how good he is blush.gif At Lea Hall, Rugeley last christmas KT did a great spot and then like said above he joined in dancing and drinking etc with the crowd saying how much he loved northern etc. Really genuine bloke AND got my piccie with him which adorns my bedroom table :rolleyes:

Social source share

Now I'm not too sure if I should write this or not but I specifically watched Baby hit me one more time on Sat night to see Kenny Thomas and he did not disappoint!  I think his voice has improved over the years and his version of a Norah Jones song was fantastic.  He did say that his new album is 'coming up for release some time soon' and I for one will be ordering a copy.

A great UK artist!  Although some traditionalists do not agree so I understand....

PS:  Though Ultra Nate was also quite good singing Free but didn't think her cover of the Rachel Stevens song Some Girls was well chosen.

link

The thing is ............ we are both just SO cool that even when we are being mainstream and obviously commercial in our veiowing habits we STILL come up trumps.....

Getting Together 20 something.Cosies Wine Bar Bristol this next last of month Thursday 9pm on.....Portland Square Bristol.....See you there you hip happening cool gal.....I think you should negotiate to play the 45's.....I reckon little miss handbag would be up for it.......your secret soul sister.....

Social source share

i agree with pete

voice isn't bad but the song is just a bit lift music-y for me

but not dreadful by any means and much better than most stuff made in the last decade or so

i posted on here a while back about a really soulful record i remember hearing on the radio in the mid-90s...lyrics started something like 'my brother woke up in the morning...' and went on about him dying in a car crash. unbelievably good but no-one seemed to know it. it was on mainstream radio so can't be rare...any of you modern buffs able to help with artist etc?

yours hopefully

dan

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

hello all, i dont know how i managed to find this forum, but i did.

let me firstly upset everyone on here and say im only here for one reason, thats kenny thomas....

ive been a fan since the beginning, but finding any information about him on the net is really difficult! come on ken, wheres ya webiste?

been lucky enough to catch him live twice (once at town and country club in leeds and one pa in barnsley)

i have downloaded the Him track this morning and its now on my phone lol..great to hear new music, even if its erm,,,, old

i saw kenny on HMBOMT and i have to say it was fantastic to see him, although he looked very nervous...he really should have beaten 911.

I think i managed to get hold of a track from the scrapped third album...i have a track called Act like you know? maybe thats not the proper title?

Does anyone else know how to get hold of a full version of Him, or if Kenny is touring this year?

Would love to hear from any of his fans

Cheers Phil

Social source share

Does anyone else know how to get hold of a full version of Him, or if Kenny is touring this year?

Cheers Phil

link

Social source share

Sam thats great to hear, thanks for letting me know about this

may i just say, ive just read my posting and it sounded really anti northern soul, didnt mean it to sound this way :D

Phil

Social source share

"Him" sounded great at the Solar Radio do the other night. It's doing the rounds on a dubious cd compilation at the moment apparently. Of course the booting and CDR-ing of tracks like this kill off most of the potential for a legit release to be successful.

Another nail in the coffin for the music buisness and the Soul scene. When will people realise that paying £300 quid for a 35 year old 45 is not contributing to the future survival of Soul music nor benefitting the artists who was on the thing in the first place? At least legit new releases - of old stuff or new stuff- stand the chance of making some money for the artist. Witness what Grapevine, Dome , Expansion, Ace/Kent, Hayley and Real Side etc are doing.

Social source share

Hi there

Yeah, I'm also a huge fan of Kenny Thomas, just stumbled on this site after searching for more info.

Difficult to get info about him? - tell me about it, I was a huge fan of his (and even embarassingly admit to being in his fan club, was a bit old for that type of thing but was the only way to get any info before the net took off!) and saw him at a radio roadshow thing singing 'When I Think of You' then he vanished and have searched like crazy since trying to get tracks from the shelved 90s album (believe the album was also to be named 'Him') - is it really true he's releasing this now??

Absolutely refuse to watch all these crap tv shows like Big Brother but was so over the moon when heard he was going to be on Hit me Baby One More Time, and the voice is still as good as ever. Though do agree about the songs - always said that he could do with some better songs but you can't fault his voice.

I keep missing all his gigs over the years, so hoping to catch him this time around! And very rarely listen to radio so only got the odd clip of his more recent songs.

Don't feel half so bad now 'cos all the stuff I keep finding about Kenny is guys raving about how they like his songs!! Thanks for all the info!

Social source share

"Him" sounded great at the Solar Radio do the other night. It's doing the rounds on a dubious cd compilation at the moment apparently.

link

If you are talking about the Street Soul compilation that Dave refers to later DJ Bigger, who is responsible for these, has been on EMS forum saying its all totally legal and above board.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

hello all, i dont know how i managed to find this forum, but i did.

let me firstly upset everyone on here and say im only here for one reason, thats kenny thomas....

ive been a fan since the beginning, but finding any information about him on the net is really difficult! come on ken, wheres ya webiste?

been lucky enough to catch him live twice (once at town and country club in leeds and one pa in barnsley)

i have downloaded the Him track this morning and its now on my phone lol..great to hear new music, even if its erm,,,, old

i saw kenny on HMBOMT and i have to say it was fantastic to see him, although he looked very nervous...he really should have beaten 911.

I think i managed to get hold of a track from the scrapped third album...i have a track called Act like you know? maybe thats not the proper title?

Cheers Phil

link

Hi Phil

Like you I'm a huge Kenny Thomas fan and have desperately been trying to find out further info hence penning this initial request for info and have drawn a complete blank :thumbsup: , with the exception of the info posted on this forum, for which, thanks guys. :(

Tony Blackburn was a Kenny "ambassador" when he hosted the Real Radio Party Night on Saturday nights from 6pm, but he no longer hosts the show.

I saw him at the T&C in Leeds too quite a few years ago now and would be interested to know of any further gigs. If you hear of anything will you keep me posted please?

Cheers

Jules

Social source share

Hi Phil

Like you I'm a huge Kenny Thomas fan and have desperately been trying to find out further info hence penning this initial request for info and have drawn a complete blank  :thumbsup: , with the exception of the info posted on this forum, for which, thanks guys.  :shades:

Tony Blackburn was a Kenny "ambassador" when he hosted the Real Radio Party Night on Saturday nights from 6pm, but he no longer hosts the show. 

I saw him at the T&C in Leeds too quite a few years ago now and would be interested to know of any further gigs.  If you hear of anything will you keep me posted please?

Cheers

Jules

link

Hi Jules

Good to hear from another fan! :ohmy:

Am i right in assuming that the Kenny thomas gig at T & C included other acts such as Sinclair and i think, monie love?........if so, i was there too!

I am led to believe Kenny still gigs/pas at places, i think its just so hard to find out about it if youre not local to the event.

I have never understood why this guy didnt become massive (well yes he was big at one time), but then again i am a big fan of Rick Astley and Clive Griffin, and they just disappeared.....saying that Rick is slightly different, and persuing the old jazz classics avenue at the moment.

Phil

Social source share

Hi Jules

Good to hear from another fan! :thumbsup:

Am i right in assuming that the Kenny thomas gig at T & C included other acts such as Sinclair and i think, monie love?........if so, i was there too!

I am led to believe Kenny still gigs/pas at places, i think its just so hard to find out about it if youre not local to the event.

I have never understood why this guy didnt become massive (well yes he was big at one time), but then again i am a big fan of Rick Astley and Clive Griffin, and they just disappeared.....saying that Rick is slightly different, and persuing the old jazz classics avenue at the moment.

Phil

link

Hi Phil

The gig I saw was about 10 years ago :shades: (how time has passed!) where Kenny did a personal gig - from memory there were no support acts.

I agree it's difficult to follow what's going on sometimes when it's not local - presumably you're a Leeds lad?

Another great voice - Rick Astley - who performed at City Varieties not so long ago.

Jules

Social source share

Hi Phil

The gig I saw was about 10 years ago  :thumbsup: (how time has passed!) where Kenny did a personal gig - from memory there were no support acts.

I agree it's difficult to follow what's going on sometimes when it's not local - presumably you're a Leeds lad? 

Another great voice - Rick Astley - who performed at City Varieties not so long ago.

Jules

link

Jules

Yes i am a leeds lad and yes i was at the Rick gig at City varieties (front row!) lol

The gig i saw at T & C was cough, erm about ....14 years ago, jesus, i cant believe that!

Phil

Social source share

Coming soon apparently. It's a shelved project from the 90's. There's been a lot of hype about it, especially with 'Him' track being covered up ! I've heard a couple of other tracks that are on the album, 'Let it Rain' is a very strong mid tempo tune.

'Turn It Up' and 'When I think of You' are very average wishy washy tunes that are only getting plays because they're unreleased.

'Him' is an outstanding tune,but unfortunately the release has been so long overdue,it's lost a lot of impetus,due to everyone having it on cdr  wink.gif

Cheers

Pete

link

Pete

Do you happen to know where I can find samples of the other tracks you mention? Very keen to hear them after hearing "Him". :(

Thanx

Jules

Social source share

Guest dodger

Just seen this. I'd totally agree with you on the concept of things getting played because they're unreleased, it happens way too often, actually all the time, and to the detriment of new tunes which have got a release - the Charisse Arrington bag of shit that's being hammered now is a prime example - why that gets played to the detriment of things like the Adam McKnight, Martha Redbone, Set Apart etc. etc. is beyond me, but as you say, it gets played for the sole reason nobody else has it. I'd have to disagree with you on the 'Turn It Up' track though Pete, I think it's bloody excellent and When I Think Of You, which I think isn't a patch on the others, actually did get a release.

Still loving 'Him' as much as ever. Top tune of 2005 for me, no question, especially now it's not 'virtual' any more.

Roger

Social source share

Just seen this.  I'd totally agree with you on the concept of things getting played because they're unreleased, it happens way too often, actually all the time, and to the detriment of new tunes which have got a release - the Charisse Arrington bag of shit that's being hammered now is a prime example - why that gets played to the detriment of things like the Adam McKnight, Martha Redbone, Set Apart etc. etc. is beyond me, but as you say, it gets played for the sole reason nobody else has it.  I'd have to disagree with you on the 'Turn It Up' track though Pete, I think it's bloody excellent and When I Think Of You, which I think isn't a patch on the others, actually did get a release.

Still loving 'Him' as much as ever.  Top tune of 2005 for me, no question, especially now it's not 'virtual' any more.

Roger

link

I believe "When i think of you" went top 20 (number 16????)..i could be wrong

I think its a really good tune, however i hate the remixes that came with it.

Im still curious to know if anyone else has got the "Act like you know" song of Kennys i have?

Phil

Edited by Bailey2001
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!