Last Night At Moorlands

• Replies 4
  • Views 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dr Pickles

This was the first time for us at Sure Shot.

I was a bit worried about getting up North on a rainy Friday in time for a night that finished at 1.00am, so got out of work early.

Got myself ready, assured Lou that her hair did indeed look ok like that and did not need another half an hours work and we were off at 7.00pm.

A straight run for us from J8 to J25 on the M1 and after much aquaplaning in the fast lane we arrived in the car park at 8.10pm.

The Moolands Club is full of character. Set in its own grounds on a very residential street, it looks like a 1930's hotel complete with leaded windows, gardens on 2 sides, drive/car park on 2 sides and a covered entrance.

We got through the door, out of the wind and rain and my heart sank. We were now standing in a classic working men's club. Tables set out with groups playing dominoes and the sound of bingo being called in the room to our right.

As every one had stopped talking and was now staring at two wind swept southerners holding sports bags, a nice old man said "you'll be wanting to go through there" and indicated a door to left.

What a find.

The second bar was a large room leading on to a low ceiling, mini dance hall. All wooden floor, stage at the far end and seating down each side. Big enough to hold about 150 with spill over back into the bar area.

As we breathed a sigh of relief we were greeted by Sam, Roger and Jenny on the door. They seemed genuinely pleased that we had travelled up from Herts. All ways a nice touch when the promoters take the time to make you feel at home.

More people were arriving so we left Sam and Roger meeting and greeting. From then on the night was a pleasure to ears and feet.

I knew 8 records at the most and not one of them was mainstream. It seems the policy is to book DJs that want to play something different as long as it is 60s or R&B. As residents, Sam and Roger played with loads of enthusiasm and this spread to the floor. The two guests played some great stuff but all of it was different. The interesting thing for me was the atmosphere. Because the room is small and intimate there was no problem if the floor thinned out or emptied. If only one person was dancing it did not look odd. People were just listening and appreciating the music while having a great time. The atmosphere did not drain out of the room like does at an oldies night where people are demanding floor fillers.

There is still the problem of people not dancing to stuff they don't know, but it did not seem to matter. Then another gem would be put on and people would be up.

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty played that was not my cuppa tea like the slow beat ballads or the out and out RR. But then one would come on and it had you thinking "I like this" and it was on the floor to hope it finished as good as it started. Then pen in hand, up to the DJ for another one on the wants list.

This really is a little gem. If the DJ policy continues, no two nights will ever be the same here as you just don't know what will be played next. One night it could be a real jumping sweat box and on the next night a connoisseurs listening and chatting night.

We will definitely be back.

Many thanks

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles

This was me and my mate Mike's first visit, wish we hadnt waited so long

Quirky venue which adds to the character of the night but the music was great

This was one of the best Soul Nights I have been to in ages for music and recognition must go to Sam and Roger plus the guests for playing some great sounds

Dont know when we will make it again as we are setting a similar night up in Culceth near Warrington starting next month which will also be 1st Friday of the month. However, if we can get anywhere near meeting this level of quality music and enthusiasm I will be well chuffed

Keep it up guys Top Night

Guest shaunthesheep

This was me and my mate Mike's first visit, wish we hadnt waited so long

Quirky venue which adds to the character of the night but the music was great

This was one of the best Soul Nights I have been to in ages for music and recognition must go to Sam and Roger plus the guests for playing some great sounds

Dont know when we will make it again as we are setting a similar night up in Culceth near Warrington starting next month which will also be 1st Friday of the month. However, if we can get anywhere near meeting this level of quality music and enthusiasm I will be well chuffed

Keep it up guys Top Night

Congratulations to Sam, Roger & Jenny on a great night. It was our first time there and what a welcome, from peeps we knew and from complete strangers! Music was ace, with loads we didn't know, which caused the pen & paper to be got out, and some Fab tunes we did know. A TOP NIGHT!!! We'll be back. Jane & Taf

Source Advert