So Soon - Donnie Elbert (joe Boy Export Edition -pic Bag)ic Bag)-joe Boy Ejoe Boy

Neil Rushton

SO SOON - DONNIE ELBERT (BUT NOT REALLY...)

(the debut release on Joe Boy - Export Edition - Green label with White X - Pic Bag)

NOT ACTUALLY DONNIE ELBERT AS IT TURNED OUT (EVEN THOUGH DONNIE HAD SOLD IT IN 60'S TO UK PRODUCTION COMPANY CLAIMING IT WAS HIM!) BUT DEFINITIVELY VAN McCOY MAGIC SPRINKLED OVER THIS BRILLIANT DANCER.

THE ARETHA FRANKLIN VERSION HAS TURNED UP SINCE THIS RELEASE BUT IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS THIS WHICH IS THOUGHT TO ACTUALY BE CHRIS BARTLEY)

NOTE - THIS IS THE GREAT LOOKING EXPORT EDITION - LABEL LOOKS GREAT!

£15 INCLUDING POSTAGE AND PACKING

PAY PAL - sales@soulvation.biz

OR CAN TAKE CHEQUE.

PLEASE PM ME TO RESERVE

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

SO SOON - DONNIE ELBERT (BUT NOT REALLY...)

(the debut release on Joe Boy - Export Edition - Green label with White X - Pic Bag)

NOT ACTUALLY DONNIE ELBERT AS IT TURNED OUT (EVEN THOUGH DONNIE HAD SOLD IT IN 60'S TO UK PRODUCTION COMPANY CLAIMING IT WAS HIM!) BUT DEFINITIVELY VAN McCOY MAGIC SPRINKLED OVER THIS BRILLIANT DANCER.

THE ARETHA FRANKLIN VERSION HAS TURNED UP SINCE THIS RELEASE BUT IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS THIS WHICH IS THOUGHT TO ACTUALY BE CHRIS BARTLEY)

NOTE - THIS IS THE GREAT LOOKING EXPORT EDITION - LABEL LOOKS GREAT!

£15 INCLUDING POSTAGE AND PACKING

PAY PAL - sales@soulvation.biz

OR CAN TAKE CHEQUE.

PLEASE PM ME TO RESERVE

Morning, Neil -

Despite Ralph Murphy assuring me that it was Chris, It actually turns out that, on 'So Soon', "Donnie" is none other than the great Van McCoy himself!

It's actually Van's original demo of the song, with a few minor overdubs. You can hear the original 'underdub' on Van's own website www.vanmccoymusic.com , as can you lots of other great van songs including some other demos that are not available to hear anywhere else.

I only found this out when I was perusing the website myself a few weeks ago...

Best,

TONY

Social source share

Morning, Neil -

Despite Ralph Murphy assuring me that it was Chris, It actually turns out that, on 'So Soon', "Donnie" is none other than the great Van McCoy himself!

It's actually Van's original demo of the song, with a few minor overdubs. You can hear the original 'underdub' on Van's own website www.vanmccoymusic.com , as can you lots of other great van songs including some other demos that are not available to hear anywhere else.

I only found this out when I was perusing the website myself a few weeks ago...

Best,

TONY

That's amazing. I am currently working on a book and included in it is Norman Jopling's story of how after going to Court and persuading the magistrates not to send Donnie to prison for being in possession of a gun, Donnie thanked Norman and Pete Meaden by quitting their production company and as a parting gift leaving them with an acetate of "So Soon" which he said he had recorded and owned. He must have just nicked it from Van McCoy!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert