Soul/r&b Band - A Cd Including Some Cover Versions

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

A friend's daughter is the singer with a Soul/R&B band.

They don't currently have a recording contract but are picking up a decent amount of work.

They plan to produce their own CD which they can sell at their gigs and maybe use for other promotional purposes.

It will be a mixture of self-penned numbers and cover versions.

If they want to be "squeaky clean" regarding the cover versions should they be thinking about owing somebody a royalty on them??

I felt a bit stupid when she asked me and I realised I didn't have a clue.

Any information or advice would be much-appreciated.

Thanks

MB

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend's daughter is the singer with a Soul/R&B band.

They don't currently have a recording contract but are picking up a decent amount of work.

They plan to produce their own CD which they can sell at their gigs and maybe use for other promotional purposes.

It will be a mixture of self-penned numbers and cover versions.

If they want to be "squeaky clean" regarding the cover versions should they be thinking about owing somebody a royalty on them??

I felt a bit stupid when she asked me and I realised I didn't have a clue.

Any information or advice would be much-appreciated.

Thanks

MB

Hello,

Tell them to contact MCPS and they will advise on liability for mechanical royalties of the cover versions. Basically, they should pay statutory rates on all copies pressed or sold (not promo copies) and MCPS in turn will pay the publishers of the songs (if applicable).

They will need to give MCPS a list of the song titles, composers (if known), the durations of each track, the dealer or retail price and the quantity they intend to manufacture.

I hope this helps.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Hello,

Tell them to contact MCPS and they will advise on liability for mechanical royalties of the cover versions. Basically, they should pay statutory rates on all copies pressed or sold (not promo copies) and MCPS in turn will pay the publishers of the songs (if applicable).

They will need to give MCPS a list of the song titles, composers (if known), the durations of each track, the dealer or retail price and the quantity they intend to manufacture.

I hope this helps.

Paul

That's fantastic.

I hadn't heard of the MCPS before - but I see now MCPS = Mechanical Copyright Protection Society.

I will forward your info and direct her to their website.

Best for them to be on the straight and narrow from the outset.

Brill!

Thanks again!!

MB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert