Mark Rez Set Sales - Rare Pleasure/jo Ann Garrett/frankie Beverley/derek Christien/gene & Eddie/the Fabulistics Etc Etc

PM or email me on mail@resolutionrecords.co.uk and soundfiles / scans available upon request and I'll post any scans / files people wanna see/hear inside the post so everybody can see em - ok? Chq or Paypal best pls. Ta, MRez

7" Singles:

Detroit Road Runners 'Swinging Camels' / 'New Kind Of Love' (ABC / 1960s / USA / M-) *£5*

( REDUCED FROM £10!! 2 great sides - topside is organ-heavy, rumbling Mod / Funk instrumental while the flip is more 4/4 beat Northern Soul with good vocals...looks unplayed to me? )

Jois 'Making Love' / 'Symbol Of Happiness' (Abet / USA / 1970s / M-) *£3*

( REDUCED FROM £8!! Two great 70s soul sides - topside is more uptempo in a kinda Voices Of East Harlem-vein while the flip is more groovy / midtempo - again - unplayed copy and often seen @ £20 on Northern lists... )

Sweet & Innocent 'Express Your Love' (Active / USA / 1960s / M-) *£25*

( REDUCED FROM £40!! Fragile, femme soul that will melts your heartstrings - unplayed copy here....very, very tough to find... )

Junior Wells 'Little By Little' / 'Come On In This House' (All Points / USA / 1960s / M-) *£4*

( REDUCED FROM £8!! Unplayed copy of this much-loved R&B double-sider - great artist gives us two great cuts here - UNPLAYED copy, folks... )

Altyrone Deno Brown 'If You Love Me' / 'Sweet Pea' (Bandit / USA / 1970s / Ex) *£90*

( REDUCED FROM £125!! Rare and highly Infectious Funk groover from the 7 year old Altyrone who was a child protégé primed for stardom by his (over eager!) father, reminiscent of Renaldo Domino 'You Need To Be Loved'... Flip is sublime sweet soul....both sides have been compiled by the Numero Group... the only other info I have is 2 copies for sale at £200 and £150 from well known Soul dealers... )

The Final Seconds 'Society' / 'Lost On A Highway' (Boo-Kou / USA / 1970s / M-) *£3*

( REDUCED FROM £6!! Another one that used to go for LOADS of money when it first turned up -I remember getting £50 for this years and years ago - 2 great sides here - 'Society' is really, really good Funk - unusual and with good lyrics while the flip is a really soothing group sound with lovely harmonies which reminds me a lot of the 'Philly Sound' of that period...a complete bargain @ £5 - unplayed copy... )

Rare Pleasure 'Let Me Down Easy' (long/short) (Cheri / USA / 1976 / Ex+) *£25*

( REDUCED FROM £40!! Always, always flies when I list it - irresistable tune - just a winner - beautiful copy here - has only been played a few times... )

Jo Ann Garrett 'I'm So Afraid' / 'You Can't Come In (Big Bad Wolf)' (Chess / USA / 1960s / M-) *£25*

( REDUCED FROM £50!! Certified as her second-rarest 45 after 'A Whole New Plan' - this is another belter with Charles Stepney on arrangement duties - topside is a midtempo floater with lovely, lovely strings while the flip is more upbeat / 4/4...2 great sides and looking like an unplayed copy to me? )

Lynn Westbrook and the Explosions 'African Strut Pts 1 & 2' (Esprit / 1970s / USA / M-) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Underrated Funk 7" - 2 great sides - really, really double-funky with a strong Afro feel on the horn parts - used to be a BIG tune on the early Deep Funk scene - ask Snowboy - he used to can this - huge Drumbreak on pt 1 too - get in...stone, stone minter here...often seen in the £50 - £75 bracket... )

Frankie Beverley's Raw Soul 'Tomorrow May Not Be Your Day' (Gregar / USA / 1970s / Ex+) *£8*

( REDUCED FROM £15!! Mono / Stereo promo copy of this nice Frankie Beverley tune - great version of the Taj Mahal original - seen this for sale @ £75 in my time - that's just plain silly... )

Dakota Staton 'I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know' (Groove Merchant / USA / 1970s / Ex) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £25!! So hard on 45!! Killer Downtempo Bluesy Soulful version of the Al Kooper classic, you will not be disappointed... )

Alpha Zoe 'Hello Stranger' (Hit / USA / 1960s / Ex+) *£8*

( REDUCED FROM £15!! Lovely, lovely 'lilting' version of the Barbara Lewis tune - cracking backing vocals and a wonderful 'warm' female lead vocal - looks rare...probably is... )

Blue Rhythm Combo 'Get Down' (Island Series / Canada / 1970s / Ex) *£90*

( REDUCED FROM £125!! Original Canadian Island Series pressing of this blistering Funk workout from Barbados's finest Funk crew...beautiful copy - as obscure as they come... )

James Rivers 'Dance The Night Away' / 'I'll Love You Forever' (J.R / USA / 1970s / M) *£2*

( REDUCED FROM £5!! Ignore the wack song titles and tune into 2 good sides here - topside is a kinda "Boogie Groove" while the flip goes Deeeep - mosta this guy's output was worthy... )

Derek Christien 'When A Woman Has A Baby' / 'Please Don't Go Away' (Major Minor / UK / 1970 / Ex+) *£20*

( REDUCED FROM £40!! Tuff, tuff UK-only Northern Soul - not as indemand as his 'Suddenly There's A Valley' toon on same label but still very, very hard to find - and- an absolutely belting slab of blue-eyed NS whichever way you look at it.. TUNE....lovely copy people...bizarrely - reminds me a lot of Barbara McNair's 'You're Gonna Miss My Baby' but done with a male vocal lead... )

The Drippers 'Honey Bunch Pts 1 & 2' (Moon Shot / USA / Ex+ / 1960s) *£10*

( REDUCED FROM £20!! Wow - rare one!! Rare label and some killer gear on this - just a stomping, ever-imaginative, organ-led Funk romper - such a collectable label - love the design too - rockets etc...clean with a few surface marks - nuttin horrendous.. )

Maxine Brown 'Heaven In Your Arms' / 'Maxine's Place' (No Mar / USA / 1960s / Ex) *£4*

( REDUCED FROM £8!! Nuther superb release on Maxine - 2 fantastic sides from the early-60s...few light crackles here and there... )

High Numbers 'I'm A Man' / 'Hi-Heel Sneakers' (Ocean / USA / 1960s / M-) *£50*

( REDUCED FROM £60!! Mega rare Garage Fuzz Punk version of the Bo Diddley classic, recorded in a building at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, flip is a killer Boogaloo mod styled dancer merging 'Mojo Working and High Heeled Sneakers' into a Garage Soul Dancer of the highest order...rare as ya like... )

The First Family 'Control Pts 1 & 2' (Polydor / USA / 1974 / M-) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £25!! Beautifully clean copy of this brilliant JB-produced Funk 45 - Maceo is blowing his horn well here and there's definitely some good stuff going on at the production desk too - beautiful copy and the first I've had in a few years... )

Little Grants & Eddie 'Rudy's Dead' / 'Everything Is All Right' (President / UK / 1967 / VG) *£5*

( REDUCED FROM £10!! If this had been cleaner, I'd have slapped £30 on it without hesitation - early release for Eddy and it's a pure Rocksteady riddim with lovely, muted backing and great harmonies from his fellow Equals - lovely, lovely UK release... )

Jabo 'Dancing At The Disco' / 'Sunny Side' (Ragtime / USA / 1976 / M-) *£75*

( REDUCED FROM £100!! Rare, rare, rare...almost completely unknown Funky Disco two sider...both sides really, really rock - only my second-ever copy...I don't believe this ever got a 12" press.. )

Gene & Eddie 'Sweet Little Girl' (Ru-Jac / USA / 1960s / Ex) *£20*

( REDUCED FROM £40!! Definitely these guy's rarest 7"...quality and well-loved Northern Soul on the topside and killer Deep soul on the flip - unfortunately, some dunce has scribbled all over the label - why do folk do that? Apart from that, the vinyl is very clean with just a very few marks here and there and a slight edge warp which doesn't affect play...seen @ £75+ many times... )

Monk Higgins 'Baby, You're Right' (Sack / USA / 1970S / M-) *£5*

( REDUCED FROM £10!! Tuff and ruff sax-led version of the rare, £75-rated, Helena Hollins 'Baby You're Right' vocal version 7" on Stone Good records which is the sister label to Sack (HH's version was also produced by Monk Higgins!) this simply HAS to be rare.... )

The Fabulistics 'Absence' (Scorpion / USA / 1975s / M-) *£75*

( REDUCED FROM £90!! Sublime "Sweet with a Beat" group soul, one of the finest in this genre.. Selling for £125+ elsewhere at the moment and ever-rising in demand and price... )

Vernon Green 'Sweet Breeze' (Speciality / USA / 1960s / M-) *£25*

( REDUCED FROM £40!! Heart wrenching, deep hardcore Doo-Wop. One of the finest 45s on the whole List....KILLER!!!... )

Johnny Daye 'I Love Love' / 'Stay Baby Stay' (Stax / USA / 1971 /M-) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £25!! Kick-a*s "Country Funk" flipped with 'Stay Baby Stay' which is a sublime piece of deep "Country"-tinged soul, double sided dynamite...!! )

Lloyd Delpratt 'Together' (Summus / Canada / 1970s / Ex) *£40*

( REDUCED FROM £60!! Canadian-only release on the small independent Summus label, Funky organ driven instrumental with James 'Chip' Burney of Frank Motley and The Bridge Crossings groupfame on guitar. Featured on Light In The Attic's "Jamaica To Toronto" comp. Recorded on the back end of Jackie Mittoo's Wishbone sessions over there. Rare and Killer 45...beautiful shape... )

Sunny and the Sunliners 'Every Week, Every Month, Every Year' / 'Talk To Me' (Tear Drop / USA / 1960s / VG+) *£2*

( REDUCED FROM £5!! Slightly ruff copy of this nice double-sider from these Texan Funk legends - topside is a good, busy Funk cut while the flip is a slower soul tune - selling cheap cos I got it cheap - looks ruff but plays all thru just fine... )

Syl Johnson 'Is It Because I'm Black' (Twinight / USA / 1960s / M-) *£25*

( REDUCED FROM £40!! Wow!! White promo copy here - never had / seen one before this - what can ya say - just a total, total classic....beautiful copy here too - you won't find a cleaner copy... )

Kim Vassy 'That's The Bag I'm In' / 'I Think I Just Found My Mind' (Uni / UK / 1969 / M-) * £25*

( REDUCED FROM £50!! Rare / unknown Mod / Funk dancer - so, so hard to find - completely obscure Mike Post production and here we have a M- pink promo copy in a lovely Uni custom bag - rare as ya like....not in any guide books I can see... )

Googie Rene Combo 'Smokey Jo's La Lal' (Wah Wah / UK / 2000 / M-) *£3*

( REDUCED FROM £6!! Class reissue from these savvy guys at Wah Wah - flip is also a killer - Arlene Bell 'Did You Mean It' - lovely, lovely stuff... )

Louis & Melva 'We're Out Of Your Life' (Walker / USA / 1960s / Ex) *£50*

( REDUCED FROM £75!! Superb "answer record" to Lee Dorseys 'Get Out Of My Life Woman'. Top drawer Funk dancer that rarely turns up for sale...lovely shape... )

Jerry Green 'I Finally Found The Love I Need' (Woodward One / USA / 1980s / M-) *£40*

( REDUCED FROM £60!! Electro meets Modern/Northern Soul???!! Absolute belter of a record that is starting to gain interest, would work wonders on the more open minded dancefloor and appeal to someone with an ear for quality Garage music too...amazing 45... )

(2) 12" singles

Googie and Tom Copolla 'Missing Love' (Columbia / USA / 1980 / M-) *£8*

( REDUCED FROM £15!! Rare Boogie / Soul / Funk 12" release, taken from these guy's tough 'Shine The Light Of Love' LP - this 12" seems promo-only? Seems unplayed.... )

Earl Grant 'House Of Bamboo' / 'Fever' (Decca EP / UK / 1980s / M-/M-) *£8*

( REDUCED FROM £15!! Released on the back of the 'Jazz Dance' boom in the mid-80s - this is the only place in the world you'll find these 2 wonderful tracks on a nice, loud 12" press. We also get Walter Wanderley 'The Crickets Sing For Anamaria' on the flip and Jimmy Smith's 'Mission Impossible' - 4 solid cuts and in unplayed condition - very, very hard to find UK 12"... )

Patti Labelle 'Music Is My Way Of Life' / 'Inst' (Epic / USA / 1979 / M-) *£20*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Perennially indemand NYC 'peak time' Disco groover from an amazing talent - my boy Skip Scarborough is at the desk so we know we are in for a comfortable ride - big strings, rock-solid bass and glorious vocals make this a monster - one I don't see very often nowadays...unplayed, again... )

The Duprees 'Delicious' (Disco International / USA / 1976 / S/S) *£75*

( REDUCED FROM £125!! Another unplayed 12" 'Grail' this List - as I said, great label this and here is another very, very early 12" - this one's sealed but I'm gonna break the seal before shipping to ensure everything inside is in order - ok? Long / Short mixes. )

(3) LPs:

Big Black 'Elements Of Now' (Uni / USA / 1973 / Ex/VG+) *£5*

( REDUCED FROM £10!! Difficult to know where to "put" this artist? I guess, actually, it's African music but it's sprawls all over the place and contains elements of Funk, Jazz, Soul and even some Rock - a big old mash-up of brass, congas and percussion...sleeve is slightly worn - bit of yellowing, just unimportant stuff - vinyl has a few scuffs and marks - very, very minor crackle here and there - again, minor stuff... )

Terry Callier 'Fire On Ice' (Elektra / USA / 1978 / M-/M-) *£10*

( REDUCED FROM £20!! Stone mint copy of this exemplary T.C. LP - 'Be A Believer' , 'Holdin On (To Your Love)' , 'African Violet' etc etc - cleanest copy I've ever had - seminal Mizell Bros / Richard Evans co-production..... )

Foxy 'Get Off' (Dash / USA / 1978 / Ex+/M-) *£4*

( REDUCED FROM £8!! Light creasing on sleeve - just wanna mention it - only on one corner - 'Madamoiselle' is STILL a biggie in my house...!! Vinyl is "virginal" - a monumental 2 Step tune... )

Hunt's Determination 'Get Your Act Together' (Earwax / USA / 1980 / M-/M-) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Unplayed copy of this rare Detroit Disco/Funk LP - used to be easy to find in the 'States but has long since dried up - 'Get Your Act Together' , 'Rollerskate' , 'Hottsie Tottsie' - dunno why but kinda reminds me a bit of Tommy Stewart's sound on his 'Bump n'Hustle Music' LP - as I said - looks unplayed to me... )

Patti LaBelle and her Belles 'Over The Rainbow' (Atlantic / UK / 1966 / Ex+/Ex+) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Lovely copy of a rare, rare UK LP - just so, so tough to find at all - lovely laminated sleeve too with Patti and Her Belles looking rather gorgeous and totally 60s......lovely, lovely copy and an even rarer Mono press too... )

Mandrill 'Energise' (Montage / USA / 1982 / Ex/Ex+) *£5*

( REDUCED FROM £10!! I've always found these boys such a bizarre band??!! Fixated with monkeys but playing a musical hybrid of Latin, Funk and Disco - howzat? Say what?! Great track on here called 'Believe In You' which I've always had a place in my heart for - sleeve has a little ringwear but vinyl is nice... )

Poison 'On Our Way To Number 1' (Roulette / USA / 1976 / M-/M-) *£10*

( REDUCED FROM £20!! 100% M-/M- white promo copy of this Disco/Funk/Soul LP outta NYC...I just had a listen through and 'Cosmic Dancing' , 'Let Me Lay My Funk On You' and 'Unity Man' all stood out - fair price here...nice breaks on 'Unity Man'... )

Various Artists 'Funky '69' (Toddlin' Town / USA / 1960s / M-/M-) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Rare, rare original 60s comp from Chicago on the infamous Toddlin' Town label - it's mostly Alvin Cash stuff with 'Keep On Dancing' , 'Funky Street' , 'Alvin's Bag' etc etc - also a coupla stray Funk cuts on here from artists like Otis Clay and Bull & The Matadors - rare comp which I distinctly selling @ £40 about 15 years ago in the West End!! Still in it's shrink - looks unplayed to me - has to be rare, surely? Tiny edge warp - most likely due to being in a shrinkwrap for almost 40 years - definitely doesn't affect play... )

Orchestra Harlow 'Gettin Off' (Fania / USA / 1960s / Ex/Ex+) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Lovely God Fania press here - 'Coco May May' is THE big Descarga cut here but the whole LP has a nice feel - few crackles here and there - nothin major - all of these Gold presses were a little noisy - sleeve is fine... )

Louis Ramirez 'Latin Au Go-Go' (Atco / USA / 1965 / Ex/Ex+) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Clean copy of a superb Latin Jazz / Descarga LP - loadsa tracks - 'Minton Simon' , 'Jumpin With Symphony Sid' , 'On Green Dolphin Street' - light wear to seams - vinyl is clean as ya like...very, very fair price.... )

Milton Zapata 'Viva Zapata' (Speed / USA / 1960s / Ex+/Ex+) *£20*

( REDUCED FROM £40!! Still in shrinkwrap - produced by the same people who gave us the seminal Moon People 'Land Of Love' stuff - Bobby Marin - loadsa nice cuts 'Milton's Jala Jala' , 'Viva Zapata' , 'Sweet Soul Music' - nice copy of a cool LP... )

Charlie Palmieri 'Latin Bugalu' (Atlantic / USA / 1968 / Ex/Ex+) *£15*

( REDUCED FROM £30!! Quality Latin Soul/Funk/Boogaloo LP from CP - loadsa tracks and this one's a lovely white demo - 'Bugalu' , 'Mambo Show' , 'Panama's Boogaloo' , 'Cote Pa La Loco' and more - good, good LP...top seam is a but split - 4"... )

Various Artists 'Cotique Golden Goodies, Vol 2' (Cotique / USA / 1960s / Ex/Ex+) *£8*

( REDUCED FROM £15!! Excellent comp of some of Cotique's best releases - we get Johnny Colon 'Mambo Suzie' , Joey Pastrana 'Jala Con Joey' and Joey Pastrana 'Malambo' - sleeve has some seam wear but vinyl is nice... )

Cheers...Mark Rez

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!