Edinburgh Clubs In The 60ts

No harm in trying as i've only ever contacted one other person who used to jump around the great clubs in Edinburgh in the 60ts, McGoos, The Place, The Gamp, The Green Light, The International, The Gonk Club, Romanos, I think some folk up here are ashamed of their age!, get in touch if you were there! :):yes:

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No harm in trying as i've only ever contacted one other person who used to jump around the great clubs in Edinburgh in the 60ts, McGoos, The Place, The Gamp, The Green Light, The International, The Gonk Club, Romanos, I think some folk up here are ashamed of their age!, get in touch if you were there! :wicked:   whistling.gif

link

I take it thats a no then! ranting_1.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

I take it thats a no then! :yes:   :yes:

link

mcgoos down the mile and some of the others were up at the top of leith

i can remember every saturday well.

holding my mums hand as we went shopping,

then down to my aunty margarets house.

your giving your age away there lenny, bus pass must be soon???????

all the best

jolly thumbsup.gif

Social source share

mcgoos down the mile and some of the others were up at the top of leith

i can remember every saturday well.

holding my mums hand as we went shopping,

then down to my aunty margarets house.

your giving your age away there lenny, bus pass must be soon???????

all the best

jolly  :shhh:

link

:lol::P

Social source share

No harm in trying as i've only ever contacted one other person who used to jump around the great clubs in Edinburgh in the 60ts, McGoos, The Place, The Gamp, The Green Light, The International, The Gonk Club, Romanos, I think some folk up here are ashamed of their age!, get in touch if you were there! :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

link

Hadn’t thought about this for years, trying to remember 60’s clubs brought it back.

The club down Lothian Road, cant remember what it was called in the 60’s I only remember it as Harvey’s / Pipers.

Anyway when I was a kid my sister and me were staying over night at my grans in Morrison Street, we were woken by a lot of screaming and shouting from the living room. We went through to find out what was going on and seen my uncle had been stabbed. I was told that he was a bouncer at the above-mentioned club and some guys that he had kicked out the club jumped him on his way home.

I found out years later from my mother the truth about that night. My uncle and aunt had an argument and she stabbed him.

Life’s a bitch when you marry one.

Social source share

Hadn't thought about this for years, trying to remember 60's clubs brought it back.

The club down Lothian Road, cant remember what it was called in the 60's I only remember it as Harvey's / Pipers.

Anyway when I was a kid my sister and me were staying over night at my grans in Morrison Street, we were woken by a lot of screaming and shouting from the living room. We went through to find out what was going on and seen my uncle had been stabbed. I was told that he was a bouncer at the above-mentioned club and some guys that he had kicked out the club jumped him on his way home.

I found out years later from my mother the truth about that night. My uncle and aunt had an argument and she stabbed him.

Life's a bitch when you marry one.

link

:thumbsup: god's sake Gogse what a terrible tragedy :) can't remember any clubs on Lothian Road, nearest would have been at Fountainbridge called The Americana but that was early 70s, that's where I met my beloved :(:(:thumbsup:

Social source share

:D god's sake Gogse what a terrible tragedy :lol: can't remember any clubs on Lothian Road, nearest would have been at Fountainbridge called The Americana but that was early 70s, that's where I met my beloved :)   biggrin.gif   whistling.gif

link

hi lenny

the americana that was a disco and a half

only ever in it about twice, but did go to the all nighter there in about 1976

on christmas eve if my memory serves me right

wild night lots of soldiers getting hit with things,tables ,chairs, bottles

to the back beat of northern soul

if i could only remember half off the things that happened in the scottish scene

during the mid 70s to early 80s

im sure there would be a book in it

on second thoughts maybe its just as well i can,t remember :huh:

all the best jolly

Social source share

:thumbsup: god's sake Gogse what a terrible tragedy :D can't remember any clubs on Lothian Road, nearest would have been at Fountainbridge called The Americana but that was early 70s, that's where I met my beloved :yes:   :sleep3:   :yes:

link

Ah yes the Americana, fond memories of a heavy doin I got there. It closed and changed its name to Annabelle's and that’s where I met my wife. You know Lenny Before it was a disco it was a cattle market. :D

Don’t remember Pipers? What a sheltered life.

What about… commercial discos like, Valentino’s, Tiffanies, Buster Browns, Flanigans? Soul related do’s like Spanky’s (that place was scary), Leith town hall alldayers (or was there only one? This remembering malarkey is harder than I thought).

Come on then lets have some stories.

Lieth town hall alldayer, attempting to do splits during Country Girl, pulling a muscle at the top of my leg. Went to toilets to rub in some Raljex, back out dancing, everything ok then the burning. Yep put the Raljex to close the old crown jewels, back to the bogs to wash of. Can you imagine the looks I was getting?

:yes:

P.S. Part of Americana became Fat sams which took it's internall decoration from the mighty CLOUDS.

Edited by Gogse
Social source share

Ah yes the Americana, fond memories of a heavy doin I got there. It closed and changed its name to Annabelle's and that's where I met my wife. You know Lenny Before it was a disco it was a cattle market. :rolleyes:

Don't remember Pipers? What a sheltered life.

What about... commercial discos like, Valentino's, Tiffanies, Buster Browns, Flanigans?  Soul related do's like Spanky's (that place was scary), Leith town hall alldayers (or was there only one? This remembering malarkey is harder than I thought).

Lieth town hall alldayer, attempting to do splits during Country Girl, pulling a muscle at the top of my leg. Went to toilets to rub in some Raljex, back out dancing, everything ok then the burning. Yep put the Raljex to close the old crown jewels, back to the bogs to wash of. Can you imagine the looks I was getting?

:D

P.S. Part of Americana became Fat sams which took it's internall decoration from the mighty CLOUDS.

oh gogse

now there is a name from the past spankys

spent many a night there honing the dance moves, it was owned by a serious villan

but he seemed to like the soul music , even saw some of his heavys trying there luck on the floor.

can remember doing swallow dives and hitting your feet on the ceiling.

it was tighter than a hampsters b** bag.

valentiones was another that played soul stuff up stairs in the muscular arms

mostly commercial stuff but if you asked shuggy he would put some northern on.

tiffanys in stockbridge saw j.j barnes and the exciters there in 1977 at the all dayers. got lifted at leith town hall, you had to fight for the right to party.

the mighty clouds , soul heaven

to many storys to tell.....

all the best

jolly

link

Social source share

Ah yes the Americana, fond memories of a heavy doin I got there. It closed and changed its name to Annabelle's and that's where I met my wife. You know Lenny Before it was a disco it was a cattle market. :D

Don't remember Pipers? What a sheltered life.

What about... commercial discos like, Valentino's, Tiffanies, Buster Browns, Flanigans?  Soul related do's like Spanky's (that place was scary), Leith town hall alldayers (or was there only one? This remembering malarkey is harder than I thought).

:D

link

Oh aye Gogse The Americana was some place mate, not too much soul tho unless you asked the dj for it and even then it was bog standard, funny never saw any trouble there that I recall, well not with Mr Appelby on the door :D , had just come back from living in London and was a real flash git in my white suit :( so pulling birds was.....errr well quite easy :rolleyes: but the guy I used to go with was a real troublemaker and threw into the arms of the lovely Jan :D:( , did'nt make the Leith town hall allnighter as I only stay round the corner from it, must have been away or something like that, brain was well fried in those days :D no change there then :P see you at the Web tomorrow if your going mate :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert