Record wants

• Replies 27
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Steve if you look in the sales section someone was offering a Bobby Reed a couple of days back for £400 and the Tommy Tate is a Japanese CD only track that came out on a white label boot that you can pick up for a tenner of the likes of Johnny Manship.

John

Social source share

Thanks Johnny i missed the answer first time round but now i see you told me its on a white lable boot..cheers...Got some fine stuff in the post from Keith Money today..crossover/modern...i think thats you're bag aint it...If you want a copy then email me and i'll post it on...stevecato64@yahoo.co.uk

Social source share

Steve, i know its not an issue but it is a legit uk (albeit quite a few years late) release on expansion of Bobby Reed " the time is right for love" around a tenner.

Brett

Social source share

Cheers Brett

If you know where to get one let me know mate..And i will get back to you about the New Century sound check..John Weston and a couple of djs from London at the next warm up..Also Southern soul crowd and the boys from Sweden..should be good..Lets see if you can drink 20 pints and dance all night again...

Social source share

Guest PeterW

Also Southern soul crowd and the boys from Sweden..should be good..

Hiya Steve,

It seems we're gonna be a quite a few people from Sweden up for the NCSC in July.

Cya at the warm-up!

//Peter

Social source share

Is that the Soul Of Money CD Steve? It's fantastic. He gave me a copy at Cleethorpes. Especially love the Caressa Watson.Not as good as Martha Starr, but the only place I'll hear it outside the 100 Club!

The Cressa Watson got a release on a UK album believe it or not.

'Twenty Great Unknown Soul Classics of The '60s & '70s - Cascade - Drop 1013

It's a subsiduary company of Ace Records

Social source share

Steve if you look in the sales section someone was offering a Bobby Reed a couple of days back for £400 and the Tommy Tate is a Japanese CD only track that came out on a white label boot that you can pick up for a tenner of the likes of Johnny Manship.

John

Tommy Tate also came out in the last year on Grapevine.

Manships got copies for £10.

Social source share

Somebody had a "real" Tommy Tate on KoKo a few years ago at an Albrighton all nighter. I looked at it and it sure looked authentic. He wanted about £400/£500 for it if I remember correctly. There was some scepticism as to whether it was real however. May be someone else knows about this.

Jordi

Social source share

Jordi, The Tommy Tate track sure looked real to me too, and to lots of others who were offering £1000+ for the tune. It was borought to Albrighton by a guy from the south coast who had the record from a guy in the US. I had the honour of spinning it that night, it was a slightly different take, a bit less sparse and more guitar involved.

Social source share

Especially love the Caressa Watson.Not as good as Martha Starr, but the only place I'll hear it outside the 100 Club!

Talking of Martha Starr and Cressa Watson, there is another version by Ward Burton on Panther. Pretty good and a better dancer. Kenny Burrell is the only DJ I know that's currently playing it.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Somebody had a "real" Tommy Tate on KoKo a few years ago at an Albrighton all nighter. I looked at it and it sure looked authentic. He wanted about £400/£500 for it if I remember correctly. There was some scepticism as to whether it was real however. May be someone else knows about this.

Jordi

Bugger i remember now didn't Henry Atkinson have one for sale a couple of years back as well??? Don't know if it's the same copy or not but the 4-500 price tag rings a bell seem to remember it being on a KoKo issue

John

Social source share

Adey Potts also sold a real issue of Tommy Tate "If You've Got To Love Somebody" on Ko Ko to a very well known soul collector. It is a slightly different mix as noted above. Think it went for four figures...

On the subject of Tommy Tate, I'd just like to say that his "I Can't Do Enough For You Baby" on the Japanese Malaco LP "Hold On" is, to me, probably the best soul record ever made.

Social source share

It was borought to Albrighton by a guy from the south coast who had the record from a guy in the US. I had the honour of spinning it that night, it was a slightly different take, a bit less sparse and more guitar involved

* remember that this Kokorecord also was on a webpagesaleslist a few years ago. it was on one of the earlier northern webpages. Ians Southcoast something something can´t remember it. can´t rememeber what he sold it for but a high price even considered it was a few years ago. think it stood that there was only 1 copy existing but thats probably wrong then even if it seems to be very rare.

Steve, see you in two weeks time !! can´t wait. Hopefully see some of you at Capitol Soul Club the Friday before as well :0)

Social source share

Thanks to all for info.a really good bunch of people you are..Yes Matt its the soul of money cd...also got Keiths tape of the show on Jazz fm with mr Searling, very nice indeed with background on Spydells,Imperial Cs,Bobby Reed,JJBarnes etc..If any of you out there want a copy then drop me a line to..stevecato64@yahoo.co.uk..

Cheers Johnny i sent you an email.cheers..

Social source share

>Price $8500. :-o

>There's also a sound clip from the actual record.

This is one of the very elusive/exclusive solid gold pressings. Thelma had them made for people who were tired of paying anything from £60-150 for it. They considered it a far more valuable record. So they went out and produced their own 'priceless' copies. They all went to a dealer in the North, apparently. Tho there are reports that he's having trouble shifting them and a few have been lining his loft cavity.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!