Bill Withers

Bill Withers on BBC 4 on friday night (2 programmes) one a live concert should be worth a watch.

2100 Still Bill

2215 in concert

then at

2345 Classic soul at the BBC inc Aretha,Dusty Springfield Solomon Burke And Percy Sledge

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Depends which tour the live show was filmed during.

Hope its his 1st US / UK tour as his backing band back then were the ex Watts 103rd St Band guys (James Gadson, Bernard Blackmon & Melvin Dunlap).

If it's the show I'm thinking of, It's the 1973 "In Concert" footage. BBC showed it maybe two years ago?

Social source share

Depends which tour the live show was filmed during.

Hope its his 1st US / UK tour as his backing band back then were the ex Watts 103rd St Band guys (James Gadson, Bernard Blackmon & Melvin Dunlap).

don't think it will be as J Gadson and Melvin Dunlap had the flu so Ginger Baker and Paul Kossoff stood in !!! :D :D :rofl::D :D

Edited by smudger
Social source share

The 75 minute documentary was fascinating. What a true individual Bill was / is.

He didn't enjoy touring, so he just gave it up. Wasn't bothered about all the money he was missing out on.

Didn't like the advice the record company A&R men were giving him, so quit recording rather than compromise.

You've got to admire a guy with such principals.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah! totally agree what a great attitude on life,really enjoyed it. Loved seeing Dann Penn & Spooner Oldham they wrote some tremendous songs,also Aaron Neville and what a character Solomon Burke was he put a grin on my face just watching him performing in his oversized throne,and he was enjoying every minute. great nights viewing.

Edited by smudger
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

What a great documentary. If anyone missed this - do check it out ! I was always fairly ambivalent when it came to Bill Withers but now I am seriously going to listen again, and what a brilliant fascinating and interesting guy.

Social source share

What a great documentary. If anyone missed this - do check it out ! I was always fairly ambivalent when it came to Bill Withers but now I am seriously going to listen again, and what a brilliant fascinating and interesting guy.

Absolutely Brilliant!! A must see - What a moving and well made film.

Social source share

Enjoyed the Bill Withers documentary sat it out waiting for him to sing again at the end he did, always been a fan purchased aint no sunhine when i was in Germany during my army days, how he keeps that chorus going so long is amazing,if you missed it give it a go, Mal

Edited by Arabica
Social source share

Fantastic documentary, anyone know if that was THE Corey Glover singing in Brooklyn Park

Great Bloke, his reaction to his daughters singing was very emotional, could you imagine the band he could muster if he did decide to record again? I believe Womack is an admirer as well

along with Wicked Pickett on radio 2 on Monday I think some albums are going to be dragged out

Social source share

Amusing joke up there and a really nice watch. i always admired the way he stayed true and never sold out one inch.

His live at Carnegie Hall is a fantastic LP .

I tried in vein in the 90s to get footage of this, even infiltrating a network of buffs who traded in film boots but to no avail. Anyone know if it exists?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!