Zoe Leone Philly Track

Guest soulmusicforever

Guest soulmusicforever

Well this really will put me in the lions den. Have been a big fan of Philly since the early seventies when the city was put well and truly on the music map in terms of commercial success. Mainly due to the extraordinary output from Gamble & Huff who had paid their dues in the sixties by delivering brilliant soul music on lables such as Neptune and Gamble. Over time they grew in stature and developed a sophisticated sound that still sounds fresh to this day.

However, worldwide acclaim was only theirs when they launched Philadelphia International Records when the lable became, dare I say it, as prolific as Motown. As with the Detroit lable's own Funk Brothers, PIR had a group of session musicians who had also paid their dues. They too were the somewhat unsung heroes of the day in Philly.

Those in the know knew their names. Baker, Harris, Young, Montana, Kersey, Eli, Chambers and many more. In 1972 these musicians gathered together for another day at Sigma Sound Studio to record a track written by William DeVaughn and with John Davis producing. The song, Be Thankful For What You Got, laid in the vaults until 1974 when it finally saw a release on Roxbury. It became an instant hit selling millions worldwide and I remember reordering it many times at my little record shop in Soho. One of those records that, once it gets under your skin, never let's go.

So it was with some trepidation that I decided to ask Zoe Leone to record a duet version over the original recording. I personally feel the result pays subtle tribute and complements rather than detracts from DeVaughns epic masterpiece.

I hope you like it too.

Dave Burton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZobmPUdmqw&sns=em

Edited by soulmusicforever
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soulmusicforever

How cruel fate can sometimes be. As I put the finishing touches to this video yesterday I searched for a few photographs of the original musicians who played on the track. Amongst others I wanted to include a few pictures of Vince Montana Jr. who made such an enormous contribution to the ultra smooth backing track. His sweet vibes are a lesson in musical genius and the jazz influence abounds all over the place especially on the second half of this extended mix where he plays fearlessly up and down the scale.

One picture I loaded onto the video was taken in New York when I attended Kev Roberts excellent USA weekender in New Jersey. I had approached Vince to ask for a picture and he was delighted to oblige along with William "Smoke" Howard. After the photo was taken Vince asked me all about how I came to be there and was intrigued that I had flown half way round the world to attend. He very kindly gave me two of his CD's as a gift and they have been treasured ever since.

A gracious and charming man. His musical influence and genius is there for us all to enjoy on countless Philly records. God bless him. Sleep well Vince.

Dave Burton.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert