Monday Melee Northern & Modern Sevens

Hi, Soul Lovers, bit of a climate change today but hope you're weekend was a great one. Here's a mixed list of Northern & Modern on 7" to check out. If there's anything here that you'd like to buy then please reply to us through Soul Source or phone 0161 834 7783 to order or reserve an item.

1. Show It - BETTY HARRIS (Sansu)........VG++........solid, thumping New Orleans Northern dancer.......£30

2. I Ain't Particular - JOHNNIE TAYLOR (Stax)...............VG++............................£15

3. It's Too Late - HOWARD TATE (Turntable)...............VG++..............'bout time this former Soul Packer got  it's right and proper Northern exposure, it's never too late................£8

4. They Don't Know My Heart - THE BLEU LIGHTS (Bay Sound)..........Mint-.........Dynamite sound just waiting to go off; has everything the Young Mod/Young Northern followers are looking for. Swift Hammond organ intro, revved-up breakbeats lending a funky air and yet it's every inch a fast-flowing Northern dancer too, it's all good...................£100

5. I.O.U. (A Lifetime Of Love) / When Love Slips Away - THE FASHIONS (20th Century demo).........Mint-......for a fairly low price you get two immense Northern Soul winners on one platter, both crying out to be played. "I.O.U." kicks off with what could become a sample as a red-hot breakbeat drum roll brings in a grand production from George Kerr with an obvious Motown style and vocals similar to Tammi Terrell; flip-side is a faster version of a song Dee Dee Warwick recorded for Mercury in 1967 but The Fashions bring it right out onto the dance floor, making this a brilliant double-sider.............£20

6. Come Back In a Hurry - ROSE BATTISTE (Revilot)..........Mint-.................very collectable if you're trying to amass the complete Revilot catalogue; Northern and one of the few singles that Rose had released in her short-lived bid for fame........................£70

7. (Loneliness Has Made Me Realize) It's You that I Need - THE TEMPTATIONS (Gordy)........VG++.........big brassy intro to this great 1967 Motown miss that ought to have been unleashed on the Northern Scene well before now, especially seeing how it has the fantastic voice of David Ruffin on lead vocals, bound to please if played....................£10

8. Right Now - JOE BUCKMAN (Sepia).........Mint-...............Jack Ashford/Ivy Joe Hunter production = DETROIT NORTHERN DANCER............................£30

9. I Gotta Keep My Bluff In - FREDDIE HUGHES (Wand).......Mint-...............................gotta be a contender for some Summertime action as it really is Vitamin C for the lug-holes..............£20

10. (Just A Little) Faith & Understanding - THE MAGICIANS (Kent/6T's)...............25th Anniversary Special Edition issued 2004.........................Mint-..........................£125

11. Rainy Side Of The Street - LEN BARRY (RCA demo)..............VG++....................£30

12. Loneliness Is All Around - CHRISTINE ADAMS (Cyclone)........VG++.......Crossover dancer, with an oddness that says this WILL go big if perservered with, quite a "grower" that will never wear King's New Clothes but also the type of thing you may have heard when Soul Sam's in town...........£15

13. Big Stone Wall (Around Your Heart) - TAPESTRY (Philly Groove)...........VG++.............£15

14. Operator Operator - JOHNNY BAKER (Cisco)..........VG++....................great Blackpool Mecca floor filler, early Modern Room style and not an ounce of Disco fat on it...........................£20

15. I Finally Got Wise - BILLY KEENE (Galaxy).........................Premier League Northern to ANYONE's ears.......................Mint-...................£180

16. I'll Do anything - TONI LAMARR (Buddah)..................Mint-..............turntable happiness for any hard-working DJ who decides to spin this Van McCoy-produced gem, you won't be short of dancers........£25

17. Brand New Recipe - RUSS LEWIS (Sharp)..........Mint-.........................£20

18. You Can't Run Away - LENNY WELCH (Mercury)..........VG++.......if you only know Lenny on his beat ballads this uptempo Northern dancer will surprise and please you and will be quick to gain approval from the dancers if played out......................£25

19. Keep On - STIRLING MAGEE (Sylvia)............VG++............................£35

20. Love My Love - TIMOTHY CARR (Hot Biscuit Disc)..........Mint-................still in Hot Biscuit Disc company sleeve (VG++)..............................£25

21. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You - LINDA CARR (Capitol)..........Mint-.........1971 release, funky Northern dancer in the style of Spanky Wilson's "Sunshine Of Your Love".............£25

22. We Go Together - EVE BARNUM (Checker).............Mint-........................£20

23. Yes We Do - CYNTHIA SHEELER (Skyra).........Mint-...............£50

24. I'm Coming Home - THE TEMPTATIONS (Gordy).................VG++......................£10

25. You've Got To Pay The Price - AL KENT (Ric-Tic)................VG++.............£15

Many thanks indeed for looking through the list,

Carl (Beatin Rhythm).

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source