How Much Does A Cracked Record Reduce Price?

Dean

Was folowing this with interest:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390653217264?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_3344wt_1121

Really rate the tune and recognise it's scarcity but saw this (Jessie James - Are you Gonna Leave Me; shirley records) went for over £300 on ebay, VG- writing on label (substantial felt pen) and cracked, but does state plays great.

Are there some records where scarcity overrides the negative consideration of a cracked record? Whilst there are many records where the proportional price difference between a mint copy and a battered copy is quite considerable, perhaps that proportion doesn't hold so much with rarer records.

What would you expect for a VG+/Ex copy of Jessie James - £800+?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....In my collection of 45s I must have at least 50 records with some sort of plastic damage warp or crack, so why have I got them, and what value would I put on them?..........Well it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string" as many records will get damaged if mishandled, from a hair line crack to 45 split in half, they still have a value,

So it is value I will attempt to give you my take on the subject, to start with if it does cost less the £20 bin it & get a new copy, if it is split but when pressed together a bit of tape will fix it, making the record playable, but the value will be reduced by half, anything above this will be a lot harder to repair, I sold Pete Lawson RIP a DEMO of JACK MONTGOMARY " my dear beloved" that was split around the centre, the wax was mint and had no damage at all, he gave me £100 and was happy with the deal, so it depends on the individual and if you are buying or selling that will determine the price, however a big no no, is selling a damaged record without telling someone,? 

:huh: DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....In my collection of 45s I must have at least 50 records with some sort of plastic damage warp or crack, so why have I got them, and what value would I put on them?..........Well it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string" as many records will get damaged if mishandled, from a hair line crack to 45 split in half, they still have a value,

So it is value I will attempt to give you my take on the subject, to start with if it does cost less the £20 bin it & get a new copy, if it is split but when pressed together a bit of tape will fix it, making the record playable, but the value will be reduced by half, anything above this will be a lot harder to repair, I sold Pete Lawson RIP a DEMO of JACK MONTGOMARY " my dear beloved" that was split around the centre, the wax was mint and had no damage at all, he gave me £100 and was happy with the deal, so it depends on the individual and if you are buying or selling that will determine the price, however a big no no, is selling a damaged record without telling someone,? 

:huh: DAVE K

Sounds sensible!! :yes:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Utter madness. Im not knocking people selling the items, good luck to them I say. I cannot understand though the people that buy them . If someone wants to give you heaps of money for a cracked record then more fool them.To me ,a cracked record is virtually worthless. In fact, I think it's only value is visual,(unless ,of course ,the labels knackered as well).......

It's the same mentality as people having to own a record in any condition regardless of how bad it may be. Records that are so bad they are unplayable ! I mean, what's the point really ?

I realize there are people out there who will disagree with this but personally I just don't get it.

I mean it's not as if there's not other records to buy is it ?

The strange world of Northern Soul indeed.

Social source share

Looking at Popsike for Earl Gains...

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=earl+gains&x=0&y=0

......the copy I sold had a tight edge crack which was going nowhere unless you were really clumsy, there was a single click when the stylus hit the run-in groove and one dull one on the next rotation as the drums came in and that was it - it was as clean as a whistle otherwise -  so I can see why the lad who paid £26 was happy with it.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

Looking at Popsike for Earl Gains...

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=earl+gains&x=0&y=0

......the copy I sold had a tight edge crack which was going nowhere unless you were really clumsy, there was a single click when the stylus hit the run-in groove and one dull one on the next rotation as the drums came in and that was it - it was as clean as a whistle otherwise -  so I can see why the lad who paid £26 was happy with it.

Social source share

Utter madness. Im not knocking people selling the items, good luck to them I say. I cannot understand though the people that buy them . If someone wants to give you heaps of money for a cracked record then more fool them.To me ,a cracked record is virtually worthless. In fact, I think it's only value is visual,(unless ,of course ,the labels knackered as well).......

It's the same mentality as people having to own a record in any condition regardless of how bad it may be. Records that are so bad they are unplayable ! I mean, what's the point really ?

I realize there are people out there who will disagree with this but personally I just don't get it.

I mean it's not as if there's not other records to buy is it ?

The strange world of Northern Soul indeed.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL......PEOPPLE? PEOPLE?? I'm not PEOPLE, PLEASE ADDRESS US AS BROTHERS & SISTERS & not PEOPLE.

This answer may be an ideal for some, but reality is fact, in 2013 finding records in ex+ or mint condition is rare, and it is only a lucky few who get this option, or you can buy from J M AUCTION, which tells me you are in the money, at a time when the majority are not. 

in my collection of US SOUL I have only a few worth over £1K 2 have hair line cracks, to say that you think they are worthless, I think not, as a person who loves SOUL, would find a damaged record of 40+ years OK, after all "booty is only skin deep" :g: DAVE K :g:  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

:hatsoff2: HI ALL......PEOPPLE? PEOPLE?? I'm not PEOPLE, PLEASE ADDRESS US AS BROTHERS & SISTERS & not PEOPLE.

This answer may be an ideal for some, but reality is fact, in 2013 finding records in ex+ or mint condition is rare, and it is only a lucky few who get this option, or you can buy from J M AUCTION, which tells me you are in the money, at a time when the majority are not.

in my collection of US SOUL I have only a few worth over £1K 2 have hair line cracks, to say that you think they are worthless, I think not, as a person who loves SOUL, would find a damaged record of 40+ years OK, after all "booty is only skin deep" :g: DAVE K :g: [/

Hello Dave,

Personally mate, I wouldn't pay anything for a cracked record regardless of what record it was.... Or what it was supposedly worth undamaged.

Having said that, I would buy one to sell on to someone else to make a few quid.

But not for myself thank you....Nothing to do with not appreciating Soul music either Dave.

Just not into cracked records that's all but as with most things in life, it's all down to personal taste.

Much rather buy something else.

Maybe a wig. (Preferably without a crack)

Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....Thanks for the reply IVOR, as a collector I do understand your logic, also many of us play 45s on expensive equipment and would be put off or even alarmed if they played anything below VG++,  however we can't always take the John Anderson approach to vinyl, every thing must be mint, as ultimately he/you will miss out on certain records, the SHRINE LABEL comes to mind, also a stack of rare SKA, ROCK STEADY   & REGGAE JA PRESSED 45s, as for a fact some only exist in fair to good condition,  still if you have a big wallet who am I to state what you should or should not buy, as for me, as I have no intentions of selling my collection, that's for others to do when I am dead, I am ok with my perspective on what I buy & play :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

Good topic for debate. All us serious record gatherers end up with cracked records like it or not. Better to own the sound than go without, then upgrade when the opportunity arises. My Delites on Cuppy is cracked across the run-in and first four grooves but it would make £200 in a cash deal or more in trade. I reckon 20% of value for a rare record is about right. For a dead rare record, say less than 10 known copies, you have to accept the condition and hope the crack is a NAP. The crack can be fixed with tape, superglue etc but I have wondered if it could be lasered - anyone gone in for an eye op and asked the Doc to fix the vinyl while the machine is on? Now the styrene separation mark that looks like a crack is another issue altogether - just don't prod at it to see if is a crack because it soon will be even though it wasn't.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Good topic for debate. All us serious record gatherers end up with cracked records like it or not. Better to own the sound than go without, then upgrade when the opportunity arises. My Delites on Cuppy is cracked across the run-in and first four grooves but it would make £200 in a cash deal or more in trade. I reckon 20% of value for a rare record is about right. For a dead rare record, say less than 10 known copies, you have to accept the condition and hope the crack is a NAP. The crack can be fixed with tape, superglue etc but I have wondered if it could be lasered - anyone gone in for an eye op and asked the Doc to fix the vinyl while the machine is on? Now the styrene separation mark that looks like a crack is another issue altogether - just don't prod at it to see if is a crack because it soon will be even though it wasn't.

Plus just what I call "flashing" (could be the wrong term technically) from moulding in styrene can look like a crack - like a very, very fine line - but it's where two areas of plastic came together in the moulding process - just like the fine lines you get in model kits - check out the other thread on that - Tamiya were king  :D

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I'm pretty good at making cracks flush and stabilizing them so they won't move. There are also different types of cracks -- from tiny cracks in the run in groove to widely separated records that are cracked all the way through.

Social source share

At £300 its about a quarter of the price so it sounds fair enough. If it plays ok and the buyer is happy and they probably are as its a rare piece. All that matters really

I think I may have been out on my initial evaluation Dave, I was thinking about £800 for a good one. But just out of interest I ahd a look on popsike, i know not the most reliable at times but thought this was as beautiful as it was interesting: (image taken from website)

post-5677-0-19659800-1378893526_thumb.jp

Went for $1825 back in 2004 (not sure what the $/£ rate was then but I'm thinking £1100), and given rarity I'd expect that tag to have increased rather than decreased. Wish I had that one!!

So guessing the price of the one from ebay with the crack (if it does play ok as stated) may not have been too bad at 20% - 25% ?

I appreciate the different opions, and thanks for the responses. Some people clearly wouldn't touch a damaged record (you looking Steve Lydon?) but rarity has to be taken into account IMO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!