Help Prices Please

Guest northernsoul62

Guest northernsoul62

After much thought and heartache i have to decided to sell my precious record collection not a huge one probably about 900 45,s.Been buying since 1980 got some decent stuff.Found sam dees lonely for you baby in camden for £3.50 and had gene toones sold both.Need help from you soulies with prices iam not a expert do not know how to tell orignals from reissues eg capreez how to,idle few people,ellusions you did,nt have to leave and kenni smith lord whats happening where they all reissued or booted.....Also trying to find value of.king tutt keep on.dash...the live band ..a chance for hope on tsob still sealed lpan wherebthe girls are ..kent lphope someone can help.Will be listing some records soon.

Social source share

After much thought and heartache i have to decided to sell my precious record collection not a huge one probably about 900 45,s.Been buying since 1980 got some decent stuff.Found sam dees lonely for you baby in camden for £3.50 and had gene toones sold both.Need help from you soulies with prices iam not a expert do not know how to tell orignals from reissues eg capreez how to,idle few people,ellusions you did,nt have to leave and kenni smith lord whats happening where they all reissued or booted.....Also trying to find value of.king tutt keep on.dash...the live band ..a chance for hope on tsob still sealed lpan wherebthe girls are ..kent lphope someone can help.Will be listing some records soon.

All were booted.

Idle Few pressings are pale blue label, plus there is a white label one on vinyl with a ridge just before the centre hole which is also a boot.

Kenny Smith if it's spelt Kenni Smith is a boot.

Capreez original is vinyl, pressing is styrene.

Ellusions original is vinyl, pressing is styrene.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Investing in a price guide would be a good start. Manship not long since released his new one, and Tim Brown's out soon.

It is only a guide though, and the books are created by big dealers so they're not going to necessarily undercut any of their own stock. I usually take 30% off the book price to give me a rough view.

Manship also has a bootleg guide which is worth getting your hands on.

There are sites on the internet (including 'Look at your box' on here) where by you can ask for prices from like minded folk, just post a list.........Obviously dont post 900 because people will just think you're lazy and probably not help. Theres a rare soul valuations group on facebook for example.

Popsike will give you a clue as to ebay valuations of recent auctions (a global audience don't forget and therefor a useful resource).

Plus for rarer stuff you can always search on google..........It usually brings soul source sales threads up etc

The internet is your friend in this instance, but should be used in conjunction with as much knowledge and input from other people as you can. Answers are gonna be there for you, just put in the hard yards

Azza

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Yep, get Mr M's boolk, knock off 25% and you will have a fair price.  Any you are not sure of put up on here and I am sure that the Guru's on here will tell you what you have.  I trust their judgment, never done me wrong, so far.

When you have done i'll buy the book off you  !!

Edited by Tezza
Social source share

If you don't know how to tell the difference between pressings and originals - how did you know what to pay in the first place?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, get Mr M's boolk, knock off 25% and you will have a fair price.  Any you are not sure of put up on here and I am sure that the Guru's on here will tell you what you have.  I trust their judgment, never done me wrong, so far.

When you have done i'll buy the book off you  !!

Tezza

What for 25% less :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Buy the following, Manship's 5th edition price guide, it's cheap and has got a fairly up to date bootleg guide as well:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/161202/MANSHIPS_PRICE_GUIDE_edition_5

DON'T BUY the standalone bootleg guide, it's over a decade old and is missing a lot of info:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/69293/MANSHIPS_GUIDE_TO_BOOTLEGS

DON'T BUY the latest 6th edition Manship price guide, it lacks the bootleg guide:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/209399/MANSHIPS_PRICE_GUIDE_edition_6

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

thanks mate for your imput and help prop think all are reissues but styrene/vinyl not a clue ...just bought songs i liked .....the music makes me remember and i cry i may be a uneducated southerner but i love soul..hpoe you can enlighten me bout styrene/vinyl 

Social source share

thanks mate for your imput and help prop think all are reissues but styrene/vinyl not a clue ...just bought songs i liked .....the music makes me remember and i cry i may be a uneducated southerner but i love soul..hpoe you can enlighten me bout styrene/vinyl 

Very simply, styrene is brittle plastic and you would be able to peel the label off (some styrene records had printed labels but these were phased out before bootlegs and reissues came along).

Vinyl records are more flexible and you would never be able to peel the labels off.  

There are vinyl bootlegs and there are styrene bootlegs.

One good, quick way of telling if you have a boot is to look for a triangle symbol and there will be a five figure or 6 figure number.  If the number begins with a 9 or 10 then you know it was made between 1974 and 1977 so is unlikely to be an original 60's release.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Very simply, styrene is brittle plastic and you would be able to peel the label off (some styrene records had printed labels but these were phased out before bootlegs and reissues came along).

Vinyl records are more flexible and you would never be able to peel the labels off.  

There are vinyl bootlegs and there are styrene bootlegs.

One good, quick way of telling if you have a boot is to look for a triangle symbol and there will be a five figure or 6 figure number.  If the number begins with a 9 or 10 then you know it was made between 1974 and 1977 so is unlikely to be an original 60's release.

Hi Pete, what about the Shrine 45s that many have labels missing? when I bought the Cautions from the states it had the entire flip side label off, to which he supplied with the record that I managed to glue back on, I even saw a Linda & the Vistas with no labels at all, :g:

Social source share

Hi Pete, what about the Shrine 45s that many have labels missing? when I bought the Cautions from the states it had the entire flip side label off, to which he supplied with the record that I managed to glue back on, I even saw a Linda & the Vistas with no labels at all, :g:

I had a Shirley Edwards like that.  Loads of Shrine's have missing labels (like Arock and Sylvia also).  Don't know what you're asking me though, Shrine's don't have delta numbers.

Social source share

I had a Shirley Edwards like that.  Loads of Shrine's have missing labels (like Arock and Sylvia also).  Don't know what you're asking me though, Shrine's don't have delta numbers.

I'm a bit like Northernsoul62 Pete, styrene/vinyl, not a clue,...just buy the records I like :yes: , I ain't an anorak lol

Social source share

I'm a bit like Northernsoul62 Pete, styrene/vinyl, not a clue,...just buy the records I like :yes: , I ain't an anorak lol

So if you were offered two records of the same title but one was a copy, one was £3 and the other £300, wouldn't you try and find out which was the real one and which was the counterfeit or are you saying you'd be happy to pay £300 for the counterfeit just because you buy records you like?  There's nothing anorakish about knowing what's what, it's common sense to me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

If you don't know how to tell the difference between pressings and originals - how did you know what to pay in the first place?

Good question bought most of my early sounds from shops in London ..hanway st,soho market and camden this was the early 80,s and the majority of people were mods just getting into the music never paid more than a fiver for any and i did get sam dees lonely for you baby for the almighty sum of £3.20.In later years bought from jm,soulbowl ,ian clarke,craig moorer so knew was ok

Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

Nice one yes i used to buy tunes i liked but only bought higher priced stuff from people i knew i could trust as it was their reputations at stake ie manship,ian clarke,soulbowl.....and i am not ashamed to say i still like landslide and your ready now....omg get ready for the backlash

Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

Hi people need your expertise please prices for following

CLAUDE HUEY-  FEEL GOOD ALL OVER-EARLY BIRD

OTIS REDDING-LOOK AT THE GIRL-ATCO

BEN E KING-WHAT CAN A MAN DO-ATCO

OUR BROTHERS KEEPER-THE HARLEM CLOWN-KING

THE 5 ROYALES-CATCH THAT TEARDROP-HOME OF THE BLUES(original from j manship b4 it went big £75 paid)

THE LIVE BAND-"A CHANCE FOR HOPE" LP STILL SEALED

KING TUTT-KEEP ON-DASH

hope you can help

Social source share

Hi people need your expertise please prices for following

CLAUDE HUEY-  FEEL GOOD ALL OVER-EARLY BIRD 50

OTIS REDDING-LOOK AT THE GIRL-ATCO 10

BEN E KING-WHAT CAN A MAN DO-ATCO 20

OUR BROTHERS KEEPER-THE HARLEM CLOWN-KING 25

THE 5 ROYALES-CATCH THAT TEARDROP-HOME OF THE BLUES(original from j manship b4 it went big £75 paid) 200-300?

THE LIVE BAND-"A CHANCE FOR HOPE" LP STILL SEALED ?

KING TUTT-KEEP ON-DASH ?

hope you can help

Social source share

Good question bought most of my early sounds from shops in London ..hanway st,soho market and camden this was the early 80,s and the majority of people were mods just getting into the music never paid more than a fiver for any and i did get sam dees lonely for you baby for the almighty sum of £3.20.In later years bought from jm,soulbowl ,ian clarke,craig moorer so knew was ok

As has already been said, you definitely need Manships price guide 5th edition. This will provide you with detailed info on whether your records are original or not. Regarding value, don't be fooled into thinking that you'll be able to get those prices when you sell your records though, remember the price in there is for mint condition and in the real world they dont really apply to us lesser mortals ( with maybe a few exceptions )

Some records will sell on here and some would be better on ebay but there's no hard and fast rules for which is which though you'll have a bit of trial & error

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Live Band Lp £25 - 30 i'd say, dealers would ask more but....

King Tutt £5 if lucky, its the other one worth money i'm afraid

Social source share

Nice one yes i used to buy tunes i liked but only bought higher priced stuff from people i knew i could trust as it was their reputations at stake ie manship,ian clarke,soulbowl.....and i am not ashamed to say i still like landslide and your ready now....omg get ready for the backlash

So do I - two records which are among the best Northern dancers ever - I'd love to have been around when You're Ready Now was first discovered, Neil Rushton wrote in his book about how hearing this in 1969 set him on the road...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!